3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Meet Mr. Wile E. ....Update on page 3...  (Read 1177 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Meet Mr. Wile E. ....Update on page 3...
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Keep us posted looper, this is gettin good.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I have to say that those things are pretty hard to kill with a bow. They make deer look like idiots.

A long time ago, my buddy and I had a running battle in with one that was working the area we were deer hunting. I got a 20 yard shot at him while sneak hunting through the woods and missed. My buddy shot at him from a stand and missed, and he saw the same yote the next day trotting through the same area looking up in trees and busted my buddy from 50 yards away. They ain't stupid.

I have coon hunted around a lot of them at night, and they don't want no part of a loudmouth 60 pound redtick gyp. They steer clear of my big girls.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Good luck, looking forward to the update tomorrow am!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Now Here's a good dog!

http://www.komar.org/faq/dog-versus-coyote/

I have two German Shepherds that love chasing Coyotes. They are too fast though. One time I had  one trapped in front of my car down a dirt road and we got over 40mph before he jumped out of the way. I didn't want to run over him...just see how fast he could go.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I have a JRT also and knowing their temperament is probably what saved him. That yoke was lookin for an easy meal, but chose the wrong dog to mess with.
That being said I be after that yoke with extreme prejudice. Good luck at getting him.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Good dog for sure........but a mite on the heavy side to try something so "athletic"!!!!  :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
This joker is past due for a skinning. Be sure to get post-action pictures. Can't wait to hear how this goes down.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Yeah, keep us posted if you would.

I`m glad he didn`t get your dog.

We have a mini Daschound that almost got caught by a big male `yote this past winter. My eight yr old daughters` screams brought him to a stop.
A .45 grain balistic tip bullet kept him to a stop. My daughter wraps her feet in his hide when she watches tv, and the weiner dog does not slip under the fence into the field any more.

I truely hope you get to make a quiver from him.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
If you wait till he has his winter coat, you might be missing your little buddy sitting on your lap this winter.  I would take him the first chance you can.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
All right, the bait is hung and the game camera is positioned.  We'll see if my little test works.  We had a pretty good storm blow through, so he might be making his prowl a little later than usual.

I sat out there for an hour, but my confounded glasses kept fogging up.  There's just enough light from the DOT lot to see fairly well.  It's a little better than seeing with a full moon, but not much.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I would kill that coyote ASAP with my shot gun and BB"s ... One of my neighbors lost two small dogs to a coyote last year, I shot it the next morning with my shot gun and BB"s ... called it in using a rabbit call at first light.

My best hunting buddy lost his favorite Jack Russel to a pack of coyotes. Lizzie was a tough pooch but no match for three yotes, they took her down with ease.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Well, a severe storm thwarted my plans last night. After one storm blew through, I laid a scent trail with a piece of venison.  I then tied it to a tree near my blind.

I hid in my blind and blew my distress call, but in the end, only stayed out about an hour.  My glasses kept fogging up and it started lightning, so I called it a night. Several pretty significant storms blew through over the night, so I really wasn't expecting much to happen.

This morning, I went to check my bait.  It was gone, and several pics had been taken on the web cam.  I was a little excited, so I took the SD card and went back to the house to upload.

There were several pictures of mostly nothing.  I think the blowing limbs triggered the cam.  There were, however a few very interesting pics.  The bait thief revealed himself, or I should say, herself.

That would be Shelby. My fat yellow lab.  At least my scent trail worked.

Here she is again, apparently really happy about her meal.

My wife took the dogs out this morning, and didn't tell me that Shelby disappeared for a few minutes.

I feel pretty confident I'll get that coyote this weekend. If I don't see him tonight, I'll use the rabbit call in the morning.

BTW, meet Taku, with Shelby in the background.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
If you don't let Taku run around without you at night let the Coyote live.. I'm not a "tree hugger" but the coyote is only being a coyote...  When the neighbors cats are gone he will move on.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Coyote no likey baby girl... Cats no likey neither. Raccoons... no likey. Skunks... especially no likey.

She tried to fetch me a live skunk last year. It's hard to outrun a dog.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrjsl:
Coyote no likey baby girl... Cats no likey neither. Raccoons... no likey. Skunks... especially no likey.

She tried to fetch me a live skunk last year. It's hard to outrun a dog.
Heh...my girl is rough on stuff, totwotoo. Nothing better than a good dawg.

Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
I had him at 15 yards tonight, but I couldn't see well enough to shoot.  It was too difficult to make out a spot to shoot.  He came right in to my scent trail and I watched him for about a minute.  He never knew I was there. The coloring on those things makes it really difficult to see in low light.

I'm going to have to try and get him in the daylight. I think I've got a good ambush spot picked out.  The neighboring property was logged a couple of years ago and it's grown up pretty good.  There are some grassy patches in there that will make some good spots.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
Keep at it (him)  :thumbsup:

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I've been that close to a yote myself and not able to shoot. Its a rush, isn't it? Keep on it and he'll make a nice quiver before you know it.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
hey, if you can live trap that 'yote, I'll pay for shipping to my house! I've got the same situation here with neighbors' cats! I'd shoot 'em but I just woul'nt feel right shootin' a cat!
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
mrjsl, that is a pretty red-tick hound you have there.  When I was a youngster I had a male that looked alot like yours.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©