3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow too long?  (Read 289 times)

Offline RayA

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow too long?
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
An answer to another post prompted this question. Is it difficult to hunt out of a treestand or tripod with a longbow? I hunted last year with a long axle length wheelie and sometimes it was challenging when shooting from a sitting position. I can't stand to shoot from all of my stands and I'm planning to hunt trad. or bust this year. Anyone forsee problems?

Ray
God, family, and bowhunting. Who says I'm not rich?

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow too long?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I hunt 66" bows, no problems from a stand sitting or standing, but I shoot canted.  

I might add that I have never used a tripod.  I use lock on stands or an API bowhunter.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
The last season I hunted in New Jersey with My selfbow it was 70"N2N. I had no problem in a tree stand.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
I've hunted with 66"-68" LB's since the early 90's and never had a problem from either tree or ground stand. Practice with fron a TS and see how you do and make your own judgement.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Yep...cant it !!! A clearer sight picture is another plus doing this !!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
I've hunted with bows up to 68". It can be done. Although I now use a 62" bow and feel much more comfortable with it.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
As everyone says, it can be done.  The secret that no one is telling is, you have to practice this first.  Either in your back yard or where you hunt before the season.  Also, take a stick as long as your bow when you are setting stands.  Sit down and wave it around like it was a bow.  Trim what it beats against and take note of where you can't shoot because of limb contact with stuff to big to trim.  Or, you can use your bow, but it may not last til the season opens.  Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©