3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Trip to Marty's  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
A Trip to Marty's
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I just returned home yesterday from an adventure in Florida.  The trip came about originally as a result of the St. Jude auction when Woody Blackwell and I won the bid on an alligator hunt.  When Marty McMahon learned that I would be traveling near his Florida lease he graciously extended an invitation to spend a few days chasing hogs.  He didn't have to twist my arm or ask me twice!  :readit:    :jumper:  

Marty's lease has been written about here before, but this was my first visit.  The property consists of about 7,500 acres of some of the most beautiful and diverse hunting property you can ever imagine.  The stated goal for me on this hunt would be hog hunting.  But my real purpose was simply to experience Florida in a way most tourists would never have a chance to see.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Trip to Marty's
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
 But my real purpose was simply to experience Florida in a way most tourists would never have a chance to see.
And I BET that's EXACTLY what you DID.

That Floridian Safari is something else aint it Joe?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Ok Whip,

now you cant just stop there  :bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
This will be good. I am sure.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Jooooeeee????

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I am waiting.....lol

Let story time begin and remember......

Thanks in advance!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I've already heard a little of the story and can not wait to read the rest of it   :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
As a bonus on this trip Matt Schuster was able to join in on the fun.  I had met Matt a couple of times before at PBS gatherings, but was another person I had never shared a camp with before and was glad he was able to make join in on the fun.  

After picking up a rental car in Tampa I made my way south as quickly as I could and met Marty and Matt at the gate to the property.

My chariot for the week.

Captain of the ship Marty and his sidekick Matt.

Now this is what a Florida hunting camp should look like!

I was a bit late in arriving the first afternoon, but a quick scramble to get my gear together and changed into hunting clothes and I was whisked off to a stand for the evening.  

The method of choice for hunting on this lease is sitting ladder stands located at various corn feeders around the property.  Although legal where I hunt at home, I don't use bait or feeders as a part of my hunting at home in Wisconsin.  But here in Florida, feeders are the norm, and this would be my first experience with hunting over one.  As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."  I looked forward to seeing what this type of hunting was all about.  

Marty has feeders hung in various locations around the property.  Most of them have two ladder stands to take advantage of different wind directions.  The animals that come into feeders are wary, and Marty is very careful not to hunt stands when the wind is not right for the location.  

My first evening produced no hog sightings, but I was not lonely.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Marty is a fantastic host, and after returning to camp we were treated to steaks the size of a small beef roast.  I should have taken pictures, but apparently couldn't wait to dig in.  I have been trying to lose a little bit of weight recently - it became obvious the first evening that would have to be put on hold for a few days.  :rolleyes:  

Morning came quickly, and next thing I knew Matt was rousting me from my dreams.  Strong dark coffee brought me around, and we climbed aboard the swamp buggy for a star lit ride to our morning stands.  

I love watching a new day dawn in a new area.  Dropped off in the dark, I had no idea what surrounded me.  Strange bird calls, frogs, and who knows what else serenaded me as I waited for the sun to reveal what was around me.

Hawks are thought to be a good luck sign, and when this guy landed in my tree I just knew it had to be a good thing.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
I had neglected to tell Marty about a little problem that I seem to have.  On my first trip to Texas five years ago I managed to kill a small 50# hog.  I have been back to Texas every year since, and had yet to draw my bow on another hog.  It seems that I have some sort of hog jinx hanging over me since that first trip, and changing locations to Florida didn't seem to be changing things.  

The sign around the feeders indicated that they were literally being hammered by hogs.  Every kernel of corn was gone in the mornings, and I just knew it was a matter of time.  On the second evening shortly after being dropped off I could hear thunder in the distance.  The sky darkenend, and the rain came on.  

I donned my rain gear to wait it out, and just as the rain let up to a drizzle, I looked behind me to see four nice eating size hogs working their way down the road toward me.  As they closed to withing 20 yards, two of them eased into the palmentos.  Suddenly, the remaining two turned and bolted back the way they had come, and the two from the palmentos quickly followed suit.  What the heck?    :confused:    :confused:  

The sound of a motor from the other direction explained it quickly.  Thunder and lightning was still surrounding me, and Marty had been worried about safety.  Being perched in a metal ladder stand during a lightning storm is not exactly where you want to be, even with hogs on their way in.  Marty obviously didn't know they were there, and it was just my poor luck to have the timing work out the way it did.  Or as it turned out, probably more like good fortune.  As we rode off on the buggy the skies opened back up, and a solid down pour for the next couple of hours made me happy I had not gotten a shot.  Even if it had resulted in a good hit, blood trailing would have been out of the question.

Marty felt terrible about messing up my opportunity, but really, I am happy that he did.  I was just happy that he didn't have to feel bad about finding my sorry butt at the base of the tree fried by lightning.  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Cool sotry and pictures Joe, looking forward to the rest!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
The diversity of the lease we were hunting was indescribable.  The ranch is actually a eucalyptus farm.  The eucalyptus trees are extremely fast growing and are harvested to make mulch for gardens.  

Other areas of the lease are covered with piney woods and palmetto flats.

Fires are common place in the Florida back country, often being started by lightning storms.  This area had been burned in June of this year, and it was amazing to see how the palmettos had recovered in just two short months.

The stands were set among stands of live oaks drapped with spanish moss.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

Way to tell a story and great pictures too!!

Top of the line in my book!!

Thanks for sharing!

Now get on with it!!!....lol

I don't have the patience of a buzzard.

I want to see something killed!!...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
On the second morning I had not had any activity near me.  A couple of hours after daylight I slipped down and went for a little exploration of the area.  It was like walking through a mystical world the likes of which I had never seen.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the travelog Joe!

Talked to Woody yesterday and got a little download on the gators...pretty cool.  Now onward with the story!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
This guy looked like he had been through a couple of battles.  

The swamp buggy is about the only way to see many areas of the property.

An armour coated possum.

The last morning of my visit arrived all too quickly.  I needed to get on to the alligator hunt, and Marty needed to return to the real world of work.  

My hog jinx was still intact.  No opportunities to even draw the string on a hog.  The stand for my final morning had been completely hammered overnight, and when the feeder went off I just knew it would only be a matter of time.  But it was not meant to be at all.  I sat as long as I could stand it, and finally got down to attempt a stalk on another area.

Easing down the sandy two track I found the tracks of a small bear over the top of the swamp buggy tracks from earlier that morning.  And then the ones I was really looking for - fresh hog tracks - and a good one!  I followed along carefully, and eased around each bend in the road scanning carefully ahead.  As I came around one corner a bush hung over directly in front of me and preventing me from seeing what was on the other side.  A sudden crash and loud snorts, huffing and puffing let me know what I couldn't see.  I had just busted a hog from less than five yards away.

A last morning opportunity blown, and I would go home once again without a shot.  But at least Marty was happy.  He could finally utter his favorite words.

"All I can do is put you on 'em"   :D  

Thanks Marty for making this a very special trip.  I had a great time, and can't tell you how much I appreciated the chance to see your world.  Not all trips end with game in the cooler.  They can still be a huge success anyway though, and this was definately one of those.   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
My Florida adventure wasn't over.  I still had the alligator hunt to come, and upon leaving Marty's camp I headed for Ochechobee for the rest of the story.  I will start a new thread for that one.....  ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©