3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow keeps coming off shelf ?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow keeps coming off shelf ?
« on: January 09, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
I shot for my first time today, as a draw the bow the string is twisting pulling the arrow off the shelf. Is this something I am doing wrong or just that my nocks are too tight?

I am shooting lefty after 17 years of shooting compounds right handed. I shot about 30 shots and didn't miss the bag once  :D   Of course I was only at 5yds and was using 3 different kind and length of arrows.

Thanks all
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow keeps coming off shelf ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
You are torquing the bowstring (twisting it) as you draw.  Common problem when you start out.  Either you are making a fist with that bow hand and rolling the arrow off the shelf or you are trying to turn your string hand over as you draw.

Relax your bow hand.  Your hand should come straight back on the draw and not change position relative to the string at all.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Why are you switching left Eye dominance? Its got to feel awkward,perhaps a light# left handed bow will help to begin with

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Sometimes, people who are starting out use too much fingers on the string, which rolls the string as you are drawing.  Make sure you don't use more than the first joint of your fingers...or slightly less.
Dan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
I was working with my wife in trying to get her started and she was having the same problem.  With her, she was kind of bending her wrist away from the string as she placed her fingers on it.  Then when she started to draw the wrist would straighten out which had the effect of pushing the arrow off the shelf.  Hard to explain, hope it made some sense to you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Are you pinching the arrow knock with your fingers when you draw?
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Deerhntr:
Are you pinching the arrow knock with your fingers when you draw?
thats why i kind of do.  I use to also point my fingers back at me at 45degree angle and then rotate the string while gripping the nock.  not any more i just pinch the nock and draw.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I used to have the same problem. I started letting the string roll slightly into the crease made by the first finger joints as I drew the bow, and that solved the problem. Doesn't take but a few sessions and it becomes automatic.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Jeff I was probably making the fist with my bow hand. It happen more as I started to tire.

Rico, Yes I am left eye dominate. It actually does not feel awkward. I can shoot a rifle either way just as easy.

Deerhntr no I don't think I'm pinching the arrow at least if I am its not been on purpose.

Thannks for all the replys, now I have a better idea what to look for.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I was thinking it might be due to pinching the arrow as well. If this would happen to be the case, just move your fingers further away from the nock than what you have been doing.

Robert
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Like  Jeff said relax your fingers. You are curling them in. Jawge

Offline Duffy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Allmost everyone drops the arrow off the shelf bunches of times when they first start shooting traditional. This little problem will go away after a few hundred shots. Try canting your bow a little and it will help some. Just keep shootin and everything will work out.                                                                        Good luck, Duffy

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
I shoot all my shots with the bow canted. thx

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
I see that a lot ecsp. in young'uns. My grandson takes to big of a deep hook with his fingers. Move the string out towards the tips more. That said, I shoot a fairly deep hook, but starting out you are best to go lighter. shawn
Shawn

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I went through this same thing Tuesday morning. I am switching from right to left due to eye problems. The bowyer called for me to come shoot my new bow before he finished the handle. I started rolling the string and pulling the arrow off the shelf. After 38 years of trad shooting I felt like a beginner.
I listened to the voice of experience, the bowyer teaches archery to youth groups and adults, when he told me to hook the string deeper into the first joint and try to pull staight back as possible. It worked. He explained that the muscles on the left side, all the way from my fingers to my back, are not strong enough or trained for shooting. This caused the string to roll and I compensated by pinching the nock.
He told me to practice drawing a lighter bow left handed in front of a mirror making sure the anchor was consistent. I bought an exercise band this morning to use at the office.
Hope this helps

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
I shot twice (30 shots each time) today paying more attention. making sure I was getting to anchor. I was trying to hook the string in the groove of the first knuckles. When the arrow tried to come off the shelf I found I was doing one of two things. Either gripping the bow or letting the bottom finger pull across the string if that makes sense. If I had a tab I would try it. Thank all

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
8up-I will send you a lefty tab when I get home next month. It is from ABS and in real good shape. It is a large, but you can trim it down to fit if you need too. Just give me your address and I will get it out the first weekend in Feb. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
8up...put a pencil between your fingers, as if an arrow when getting ready to draw.   now start to clench your fist, just a bit..like you are starting to pull..  see what happens to that "arrow".  Now, relax it a bit, as if the string is pulling your fingers and they are extending, rather than closing into a fist.  The opposite happens.  The first is what you are doing now.  The second is what you should start doing.  I believe that ...shallow hook, deep hook...doesn't matter as much as what I just described.  Watched a whole bunch of new shooters go thru this and every single time, this is what occurred to cause that.
ChuckC

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Mike, thank you. I sent you an email.

ChuckC thanks I will try it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©