3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A ghost in the Wisconsin Darkness..Part 2...and 3!!  (Read 434 times)

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
A ghost in the Wisconsin Darkness..Part 2...and 3!!
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
It was in January of 2007 that we captured this image, but I can't seem to find the thread from 3 years ago.

We have not seen this buck in over 3 years and assumed he had expired.  Well in mid July, we took a ride at dusk around the fields surrounding our hunting land.  The very last field we checked just before it gets too dark to see.....guess what we saw????
 We pulled up to a very secluded field and just off the road at about 60 yards is the ALBINO!!!!  He did not stick around for more than just a few seconds and we couldn't tell just how big he was other than BIG.  It was a very cool end to the night as we saw far more deer than we expected too and some sizeable bucks to boot.

This past weekend, August 20, we were clearing trails and putting up a few stands and decided to take a ride near dusk again.  This time we brought my in-laws and our buddy.  We didn't see nearly as many deer as last time.  We suspect the full moon and a clear night was the culprit.  We'll we were running out of light and decided to go check the secluded field again.  As we turn the corner about a 1/4 mile from the field, my brother-in-law says, "Ready to see the Albino?"  I said, "Sure".  Not actually expecting to see him.  We pull to the field and I look to where he was before and actually see an 8-point standing there.  Then my brother-in-law says,"@[email protected]'s the albino"  He was on the opposite side of the road about 50 yards away.  I got the binoculars up and managed to see his MASSIVE body and huge antlers as he lumbered off the field.  He didn't stop or pause, just kept going.  He wasn't alone this time and he pulled the 10 point and 6 point that was with him off the field too.  The 10 point stopped at the field edge and gave me a very nice frontal view for 10 seconds or so.  The 10 point was outside his ears and by my novice judgement was probably in the range of 130" to 140".  I only mention size because the 10 point was dwarfed by the Albino in body size and antler size.
I have never seen a larger deer in person, let alone that deer being an albino.  
When we first saw him in July, we thought he was big but had nothing to compare him too.  Now compared to a very nice 10 point, we know he is huge.
What a sight to see, and to have my in-laws and our hunting buddy with us all the better.
You would think that we would have brought a camera....yeah right.  Now I just want to see him while in a stand.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers - Board Member
Ojibwa Bowhunters of Milwaukee
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A ghost in the Wisconsin Darkness..Part 2...and 3!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
sounds like a fun hunting season coming up.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
That's the stuff dreams are made of!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Are albino deer legal to hunt in your state?  It is illegal to kill them here.  Might want to check to avoid nastly legal issues.  Hope you can take him.  He would make a really nice mount in addition to all the meat he would provide your family.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline jiane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Albino's are illegal to hunt in Wisconsin.
  I just want to see him up close and personal, what an experience that would be.
 Besides I would be more afraid of the locals that know he is around!!!!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers - Board Member
Ojibwa Bowhunters of Milwaukee
PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Bowhunters

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Perhaps he needs a girlfriend. Somebody he has something in common with. I see a love connection in the future...

Seriously though, I know they are genetic mishaps and all, but it is really cool to see one. This piebald is 4 1/2 years old. She has a brown nose and that's it. I have passed on her many times. This year she is gonna drag a giant 10 pointer by me to thank me  :)  Awesome buck!
Mike Davenport

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
I hope that you get a chance to take him if that's in your heart to do so!!

Congratulations!!! You are truly blessed just to have seen something that awesome with your own eyes.

I got excited when I saw an albino doe so I can imagine how it must feel to you as your looking at him in person and up close.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
cool!!!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I would be thrilled just to get a photo of him!!I'd love to see him,don't know if I'd shoot him.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
That awesome Jerry! If you get some pics of him please post em up!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
I really do not understand why states make it illeagl to hunt albino deer, although this one seems to be a nice deer, they are genetically inferior and not good for them to breed into the herd.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I second what Danny Rowan said.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©