3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Haven get's an addition  (Read 2286 times)

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Haven get's an addition
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Now THAT'S a bear dog!!     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:     todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Corvus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Very, very cool! Looks like you have some very good friends to.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
When I found Tim that night he was coverd in blood...he laughed and said "Ever try and gut a deer with one leg in a cast?"

I was pretty darned happy to drag his deer that night.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I love this picture because of the story behind it. Tim had hit a doe out of the Trestle stand, and it had gone straight down to Armstrong Creek. It took us a while to sort out the bloodtrail because it was mostly chest high swamp grass. Once we found her, it was the biggest doe I had ever seen. We made the spectacularly brave choice of dragging her STRAIGHT up the bank/hill towards the road. It was slick, and it was straight up and down. We laugh about it now, but we were seriously checking each other out on the way up...waiting for one or the other to have a heart attack. Tim's foot still wasn't right, and Greg and I are known cheese addicts. We are smilingin this picture because we were glad we survived!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Great picture Roger but you should have told everyone that those suspicious looking bottles on the shelf in the background were just pancake syrup and cooking oil....   :rolleyes:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
God bless Shrew Haven...and every other place like it!

Never been there, but I have been in the western U.P. during early November.

ANYTHING is normal!...ANYTHING!

It can be seventy degrees, or snowing so hard you are scared to go to sleep.

You gotta live it...you just gotta live it.

God Bless Shrew Haven!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
That shelf is too high for me to reach anyway....  :p

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
I remember the huge doe that Tim shot and the long pull up the hill that just about did you guys in. Tim went to bed early that night if I remember right.And Greg who always likes to read before he goes to sleep, conked out and left his reading light on. Someone probably turned it off for him but I can't remember who...   :goldtooth:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
....and then SOMEONE cut the tenderloins out of Tim's doe...."big as my forearm!!" I think he said...  :bigsmyl:

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
good pics Ron! man those pics of armstrong creek and shrew haven exemplify the mistque and heritage of a north woods deer camp at its finest.  some of those pics make me hungry and tired....you will never eat better or sleep more sound than you will at deer camp.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Wow, such nice wood work on those bunks.  ;)  I'll bet it's the only deer camp with eight inch wide pine boards trimming out the bunks! Those cabins built in the CCC days of the thirties were put together well. We took apart one of the partition walls to make make room for the kitchen and the two closets in the existing "bedrooms". We had a lot of lumber to use for projects that would cost you an arm and a leg now (or several Super Shrew Bows).
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Hunting in the north country in November you never know what the weather will do. It can turn from a beautiful fall day to winter in a matter of hours. Such was the case the day I killed the "Snowstorm buck". I had been sitting over a good scrap for several days with no luck. A sunny afternoon suddenly got dark and snowflakes as big as marbles started to fall. The ground was fast turning white and visibility wasn't more than 50yd's.

I saw the antlers coming out of the white wall of snow. He started to circle downwind of the scrap. After sitting for several hours it only took a  minute from the time I saw the buck until I took the shot. He ran down the hill, across the Armstrong and into the big cedar swamp. I had to track him fast before the snow covered the blood trail. Once he reached the cover of the swamp he turned south towards the Brule river and Wisconsin. He went down about 50yd's short on the river and I found him after dark. I dressed him out and pulled down a sapling and tied his rack to it with my bow string....propped him up the best I could and headed for camp.

The following morning we had 18" of fresh snow. It took some doing but with the help of a fellow bowhunter who had a camp in the next section we located the buck. I knew about where he would be but with so much snow it was hard to find him. We spotted the antlers sticking up out of the snow, if I hadn't propped him up we probably wouldn't have found him until the spring thaw.    

Coming up the Armstrong.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Quick thinking for sure using the bow string to tie the antlers with. Really like the bow too.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Ron,
Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures, as always they are great.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
So when's the book coming out? No I'm not kidding.  :pray:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm thinking a Shrew Haven Video would be a big seller here!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by DennyK:
So when's the book coming out? No I'm not kidding.   :pray:  
X2   :pray:    :pray:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
Ron could have a heck of a good book with just his pictures.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Keep it coming!

Offline ERIC2 at shrewhvn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
As one of the new members at shrew haven . i can say that it takes alot of hard work and ability and a good ear to listen to all of the good stories of the past . i am very greatfull for the opertunity.

Roger whats the story behind the sledgehammer?

Eric2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©