3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Haven get's an addition  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrew Haven get's an addition
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
More pictures. This was last fall, coming up Armstrong Creek with a deer retrieved from the Wisconsin side of the Brule river. The deer was shot by Eric 2 (we've got two Erics in camp) This was his first year at Shrew Haven and his first traditional deer.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
That's gotta be just about the coolest camp in the Yoop!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
It's good to see Eric 2 using good canoe beaching technique.    :wavey:  

Many nights during camp we're glad that there are coolers to keep the food from freezing while sitting outside on the back deck.  It can get awfully chilly.  There's just something about crossing the bridge that is magical about the UP.  I no more than got back from the work bee at the cabin and turned around and spent 4 days back in the UP with my family seeing some sights up in Munising, Marquette and Negaunee that I hadn't seen for years and my 8 and 10 year old daughters had never seen (and some I hadn't either). The pace is just so relaxing up there and the people are very friendly.  We're only a month and a couple of days from our archery deer opening day here in MI and it will be a good fall, but it won't be complete till hitting the lodge at Shrew Haven.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline red pony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Looks like a great place to hang up my long bow and gear.  Cook a great meal and enjoy the stories of the day.  Enjoy!!!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Top notch chair placement right next to the wood stove. Very nice looking apple pie too!

More pics please....love 'em. Thanks again for sharing to the entire Shrew Haven bunch.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Outstanding photos and details of a much envied camp!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Hey Roger, I remember that one. We couldn't believe she was losing that much blood and was still going. Heck you didn't even need me on that tracking job..   :D

This one was a long track. Greg shot this deer and she headed for Wisconsin....darn near made it too. He shot her in the evening and we didn't recover her until the next morning. Greg and Ray draged her up to the grade while I went for the truck. As old "Rooster" Tom Jenkins once said, "We're not very good shots but we're darn good trackers"...   :D  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Remember laughing about that blood trail? You and I and Jenkins were damn near trotting there was so much blood. It ran an honest 200 yard circle and ended up next to the trail we started on!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Nice! That looks like "deer country" to me.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
A few of the guys sitting on the new back deck relaxing before the evening hunt.

A picture from the previous work detail, table saws, and all power equipment are run by generator.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Hmmm,  I know we were some happy campers when we finally found that doe of Greg's. One of the longest tracking jobs I've ever been on. Words of wisdom from that track:
1) Always take a bow with you when tracking. After a long wait from a morning hunt hit(had to correct your memory Ron, you know, the second thing to go), we started out in late afternoon for that doe on a midsection shot (we've lost deer to coyotes and bears several times).  The deer stood up at fifteen yards and neither of us had a bow in our hands and then she took off.  The next morning we took after the trail again.  
2) After loosing a blood trail, follow the natural deer trails in the vicinity.  We picked up blood a long ways from the last blood on a main trail that put us back on the track.  After another 100 yards, we found her piled up.
3) She was not far from the Brule River, which is not unusual for a wounded animal to head for water.  

Not all deer cooperate at the release of an arrow. Over the many years at Shrew Haven, we've had the good fortune of tagging over a hundred deer. That's a lot of blood trails (most are quick, but some aren't)and there's nothing like experience and persistence to help you learn.

We're hoping for many short trails this fall. Good luck everyone from the Shrew Crew.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
My favorite stand up there

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Nice seeing people make fantasies become realities.  Good luck this season and enjoy those pies.

Joe

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Roger, I know where that one is. Here's my favorite stand when it's cold and nasty.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
I love this view. It's between the pine stand and my ridge stand....I stop most mornings and just stare, maybe throw up a prayer or two.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Just to cool guys! Loved every minute of the conversation.  I am sure of one thing, that deer from the Wisconsin side was soooo much better eating!  Here's to the Yuppers   :thumbsup:

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
That is a pretty picture!!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Roger,

That's good stuff...  Enjoy...  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
This is on the southern end of our 400+ acres looking down at the Brule river. That's Wisconsin on the other side. To the deer the river is like crossing the street.

Armstrong creek looking toward the northern portion of the property.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©