3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sunbear scores with Knife River knapped head and Koa's first track of the season  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter

Went on a little scouting/hog hunting trip this afternoon and came upon this. The rooting was light but fresh and continued as far as I could see.

Moving along the high ground to right in picture the scent of hogs started getting strong. Finally I see some of the weeds moving and since I had the wind I decided to move closer to see just how big the sounder was.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well ??????????????????????
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
I made to within 10 yards of the closest rooter and decided to hold tight to see if I could get a shot at a bigger one.

As I started making out more pigs...they all seemed to be in the 75 pound range.

I good black one started my way so I readied my Sunbear for the shot.

The hog kept coming straight on offering no shot. Finally at about 7 feet she made me out. Unfortunately for her she waited a little too long to run and gave me a good shot.

Next thing I know she is out of the swamp and up on the high ground with me. Luckily she veered off at the last second missing hitting me by what seemed to inches.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
About 20 yards up the trail I find this...

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice    :campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
I continue down the trail following what little blood she has left and found where she went over a log opening the wound up and the blood started flowing better.

Another 75 yards and I find her near the creek leading into the swamp.

This this was the first hog I had not run into the swamp and die so I decided to head home and get Koa my Wirehaired Dachshund tracking partner.

This was an easy trail for him but any trail is good practice and this would be his first hog.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congratulations Chris!     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Arriving back at the shot location I put Koa on the blood and off he goes.

He makes it to the log and heads of to the left. Just as I was about to correct him he finds a low spot to go over and heads back on to the blood trail.

Another 10 yards and he veers right so I just let him go. Basically he went down wind of the scent stream and worked back into the hog.

Overall he did a great job...we have not been training much since this has been a bad year for snakes.

At first Koa did not know what to do with the hog. He kept looking at me like this is what you wanted me to find now what? After about a minute he decided the rooter was his prize and decided to take a chew or two.

His prey drive really kicked after a couple minutes and Koa started dragging the rooter around by the tail

Finally he started digging in to wound and after another couple minutes it was time to pull Koa off and get the porker out of the woods.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Before taking the hog to the processor snapped of few pictures of the hog.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Here are a couple pictures of Charlies work of art now that it has darkened up a little.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looks like you made a great shot and that knapped head did a number on the hog! Beautiful bow also! Nice looking pup! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures!    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice pig and sweet looking bow. Congratulations
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats on the hog.  I envy you Georgia boys that get to hunt hogs year round, even on WMA's.  We can only hunt them on private land year round.  Too bad most of my hog spots are WMA's.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good job Chris! I've been working on my "pocket tracker" I can't wait to show him off on a Trad bow blood trail!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice job to you and the dog.(charlie also)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Awsome! Looking to bust a deer with some stone heads this year myself.

Congrats!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Great looking bow, nice pup, good hog

Congrats

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Job Chris! That had to be good for Koa.  Call me tomorrow if you can......That Bow is NICE.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©