3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: >>>>>----2010 Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt Thread---->  (Read 5262 times)

Offline deercraver

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: >>>>>----2010 Ohio Traditional Deer Hunt Thread---->
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
I have not done a camp hunt i wish i would have seen this a little sooner but i will try my best im only an hour north of the ohio border i can make it a weekend thing if i cant come for the whole thing

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
I'm useually only down for the week end to. Unless I'm laid off by then, ugg.   :banghead:  Come down and have fun. Its a good place to hunt and we have lots of fun.
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
The closest propane place would probably be cambridge. I'll have to ask my buddy who lives around there.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Somersetstickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
Been watching this thread and it sounds like a fun time.

I hope to make it down on Friday evening (I wish my boss was a bowhunter and then he wouldn't schedule a two day sales meeting on Thursday and Friday during the rut).

I may end up spending Sunday and Monday night also.
If a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he will learn more than what is in books. - George Washington Carver

Online VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Charlie, I know you weren't joking about the high walls and I won't be walking in the dark without doing some daylight scouting. I might be a trad bowhunter but I'm not stupid.   :bigsmyl:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Little butterball buck came in near last light. I think he is a year and a half old. I shot him a bit back and left him until the morning. I did not try to trail him. Anyway I gotta go track him in the morning. I'll fill you all in when I can. This will be my first trad buck.

I hope it is an easy trail.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Go get him, Charlie!

Offline Morgan Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Good luck Charlie.... Keep us posted.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison;

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Well??? Anything yet Charlie? Whereabouts is this hunt taking place in Ohio? It would be kinda interesting to come down there to hunt some of those Big bucks that you guys shoot down there.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
It is on the eastern side of the state just south of cumberland by about six miles. If you really are interested, pm me and I can get you all the info you need.

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
No blood. No hair. No arrow. No deer. I am torn to shreds after going into the briars and following every trail for 4 hours. I knew his direction of travel for the first 25 yards and not a single thing after that. I only knew that much because I saw where he ran into the brush.

Why in the hell can I use the same arrow and broadhead two hours previously on my 3D target and hit perfectly in the vitals?  Then I get in my stand and shoot to the left on the deer. This is the second time in 3 hunts this has happened.

The first was a clean miss and this one wounded him. I do think I saw him running off into the corn across the field this morning, but can't be sure. There was no blood heading over to the corn either and that deer looked fine.

I can only guess I am short drawing when I get excited shooting at a live deer? This should not have been a hard shot. Like I said, I made this exact same shot with the exact same arrow and broad head perfectly 2 hours earlier on my 3D.

If the buck I saw running was him then I have to assume he is fine, but this is getting rediculous.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it buddy. I was really rooting for you especially considering the bad luck that has pleged you for a while. I really hope you go back and look again. Just to double check. I'mm prayin you find it.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
They move, man.  It happens and it sucks.  The one I killed last year took a step after I dropped the string and ended up taking a gut hit.  She bled little if any and carried the arrow into the thickest crap in the area.  We never would have found her if not for Dylan walking a grid back in that stuff.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I did an up and back and then back and forth search(grid). I also walked cocentric circles. There are a few areas I could not get into since they are private property and I have VERY CLEAR instructions to stay out. Most everyone else is okay with me hunting local, but this one lady and her family are very obstinent. I honestly don't know where else to look. Penetration seemed good at the time..... I'll have a look around again this evening. You never can tell, although the meat would be spoiled by now.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Don't worry about the meat spoilage. People used to hang deer from the rafters of their barns to age meat. i wouldn't freak about the meat. if you find it get it as cold as possible as fast as possible. if it died last night it frosted last night so it was deffinetly cold.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Do you have access to a tracking dog? Sometimes a pet can even find a wounded deer. Good luck and don't beat yourself up. It happens. It's not fun but it happens.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Went back out and looked again this evening. Looked at some fence rows I had forgotten to check and a thicket out in a field. No luck. Deer are everywhere in the area again tonight. I will leave the area unhunted for a week or so since I have stunk it up so bad. Kicked out a really nice 3 1/2 year old 8 point buck.  I even drove all the local roads listening for coyotes and looking for vultures/crows.

Nothing.

Maybe I can take my dog over there tomorrow after work.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
Sorry man.  That stinks.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
your avatar said it all!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline buckeye_hunter