3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to make a string that's round?  (Read 299 times)

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
How to make a string that's round?
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
I know it sounds stupid but I'm a newby string maker with a homemade jig making endless loop strings.  For whatever reason after twisting my strings are not round and smooth, they are, well, lumpy   :confused:  .  

I'm laying the strings one under each other on the posts according to the video, and keeping a constant tension.  I am also trying to keep from twisting the string when serving the end loops (before closing them) but that's not entirely possible is it?  I suspect that may be my problem.  Maybe I'm serving too tight? I hardly have any tension on the serving tool, but it still twists the string when wrapping.

I am also only using one 1 bundle so it's really a continuous loop (only have 1 spool of material), and I'm using 452x which is quite thin.  I'm trying to make an 18 strand but even had problems when I tried 8, 10 and 14 strands.

Any advice to help smooth out my lumpy situation is greatly appreciated.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to make a string that's round?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
When it stretches out it should get rounder and smoother.I know a flemish string does.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
With the string under tension (i.e., strung up on the bow) tie half a square knot around it with another piece of string or serving, snug it down, the drag it up and down the string a few times.  If the "video" you are referring to is "Doin' the Twist", it's the same thing Joe does to remove the excess wax from a flemish string.  That will help round it out.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I almost forgot--make it long enough to add some twists.  This is actually a good thing, even in an endless string, and will also help round it out.

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Thank. I'll give that a try.  The video was refered to on this site and they were making an 8 strand D97. They also had plans for the jig I made using 2x4 and wood dowels.  Except I made mine out of a unistrut and oak dowels.  It's plenty sturdy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©