3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A watershed moment  (Read 1507 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
A watershed moment
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm a little troubled that I'm even asking this question, so I considered registering a new account and posting it a little more anonymously, but - what the heck. I'm just gonna let it all hang out here.

I've been shooting trad for about 2.5 years now, making slow but steady progress all the way around - form, accuracy, equipment tuning, etc. - and I feel pretty good about the progress I've made. But, I have yet to draw blood on big game, mostly for lack of opportunity. I've been hunting several properties here in East TN with very light deer populations, so I have just not had the shot opportunities.

But here's the kicker. I have booked a hunt in Pike County, IL for this fall to the tune of several thousand $$. I have killed many deer with the wheels, and so I have been entertaining the thought of hunting with a compound rather than my Brackenbury Quest. I'm trying to get myself over the mental hurdle of commiting to hunting with the Quest, but the thought of trying to cut my teeth on a Pike County bruiser is kind of rattling me psycologically.

I think if I had killed even one or two deer with the recurve already this wouldn't even be an issue. And I have no doubt that I will kill many deer in the future with it. But these wicked mind games almost have me to the point of dropping $800 or $900 on a state of the art wheelie.

I'm just gonna sit back and listen to your sage advice on how to defeat this demon, 'cause that's what I really want. I know that if I came back with a mature buck taken with a compound I would be a happy man, however, if I came back with one taken with the Quest I would be a ... well, I guess I would be a happier man.

Is this where we separate the men from the boys?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A watershed moment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Do you want to kill deer, or do you want to shoot your recurve?

Are you going to feel as if you wasted your money if you come home without?  What were your expectations when you spent the money on the hunt?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Do you want to kill deer, or do you want to shoot your recurve?
Yes. ;-)

Are you going to feel as if you wasted your money if you come home without?  What were your expectations when you spent the money on the hunt? [/QB]
Good question. Either way, I won't consider it wasted money. When I booked it I intended to carrying the recurve. It seems an insidious little doubt has slipped in a crack in the door. And, in the words of Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer), "It appears my hipocrisy knows no bounds."

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Use the wheel bow. When a big buck is 25 yards out it's no time not to have confidence in your equipment ot personal performance which it sounds like you do. If you did shoot  the curve and mess up (although it would be your fault and not the bows) you would forever blame it on the bow and it would ruin trad for you. Kill a couple deer with the curve so you have some confidence before you take it on a once in a lifetime hunt.

On the other hand I've carried selfbows on hunts that cost twice that much, didn't get anything, and came home happy as a worn out hooker. It's all what you're looking for in the experience.

You don't need a state of the art c bow  though any ol wheelbow will do. The oldser ones are actually easier to shoot and maintain.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Hunt with whatever you're comfortable with. You don't want to spend the whole hunt doubting about what weapon to use, just enjoy it. I guess the big question here is whether you're hunting for the trophy or for the hunt. I know money goes into the equation, but at the same time "the tag isn't a receipt for a pair of antlers." Shoot the recurve for a while and get confident with it. You might change your mind. Whichever you choose, go with it and be confident with it. And have fun! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
Any chance you have access to go stick a pig or two at a local "pig ranch"?  That would build some confidence in your shooting and your equipment and give you a bit of barbeque for the table too.  Seems they should be readily available and reasonably priced in your neck of the woods.  Just a thought.

Good Luck,

Brian
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
I know where you are coming from Bob.  I also will be taking my first trip to Pike Co. IL this November and am working my way out of the worst shooting slump I've ever encountered since switching to traditional.  I had great confidence in my shooting after last season (2 kills out of 3 shots taken - the miss was behind the leg and just under the chest) but my shooting suddenly went to the dogs when I picked up my bow in March.  Only, you can make the decision on whether to shoot modern equipment.  If you decide that is what you will do then I would'nt listen or care what others think or say.  You're the one paying for the hunt.  For me, a compound is not an option or thought and I hope that by November my confidence level is out to around 23 yards.  Right now it is around 14, but if I were going tommorrow I would still be shooting traditional and hopefully be able to restrain myself from taking a shot that I was'nt sure I was capable of making.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by the Ferret:
On the other hand I've carried selfbows on hunts that cost twice that much, didn't get anything, and came home happy as a worn out hooker. It's all what you're looking for in the experience.
That quote caused me to spit coffee on my screen.

Thanks MICK!!!

LOL!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
... "the tag isn't a receipt for a pair of antlers." ...
Man, you got that right. I've missed a few deer with the compound at ranges that I'm embarrassed to admit.

I agree. No guarantees no matter what is in your hand.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »

PMSL!!   :goldtooth:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
Use the wheel bow. When a big buck is 25 yards out it's no time not to have confidence in your equipment ot personal performance which it sounds like you do. If you did shoot  the curve and mess up (although it would be your fault and not the bows) you would forever blame it on the bow and it would ruin trad for you. Kill a couple deer with the curve so you have some confidence before you take it on a once in a lifetime hunt.
I feel like a guy standing on a bridge - I need you to talk me back from this craziness - but you just told me to jump. ;-)

Just kidding, I hear what you're saying. Just a couple of things. I feel VERY confident out to about 17 or 18 yards. And I feel pretty good about 20 - 22. So the confidence is there but is on shaky ground for lack of blood on my arrows.

Also, it's expensive but not once in a lifetime. There will be a bunch more opportunities like this one.

Thanks for being straight up with me.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

That's funny right thar.  I don' care who ya are...

Exactly what I was trying to say, Mick.  It's all about your expectations.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
Just my $.02 you seem rattled already no matter what bow your carrying this sounds like a money issue with what you've spent for the hunt.  You've killed deer before you know what it takes and what to expect. So you haven't killed a whitetail yet with the Quest, are you doubting your shooting ability with it?  
Fall is alittle ways away if you commit to the Quest do some hunting/bowfishing or what ever is legal in your neck of the woods this time of the year and build some confidence.

Good luck either way you go.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drew:
Just my $.02 you seem rattled already no matter what bow your carrying this sounds like a money issue with what you've spent for the hunt.  .... So you haven't killed a whitetail yet with the Quest, are you doubting your shooting ability with it?  
I guess it does sound like a money issue, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things $3000-$4000 is not alot of money these days. It feels like more of a nagging little doubt than a fear or worry.

THere are certainly a lot more important things going on in life - for example my first grandbaby being born at 2AM this morning - so I won't lose any sleep over this one. I was honestly just looking for some practical advice in battling the nagging little doubt.

Thanks for chiming in.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Are you more interested in killing the buck, or the weapon you hunt with?

Think about that, and you'll have your answer, and no judgement from me either way.

Best of luck to ya.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Are you more interested in killing the buck, or the weapon you hunt with?
Stay tuned for the answer to that one. ;-) And by the way, thanks for letting this thread ride considering the fact that it arguably crosses the border into non-trad.

Bob

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
You have to decide what's most important to you, how you do it, or how big/many, though the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.  Good luck.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Variations of this question get asked alot and there seems to be many different answers I don't necessarily agree with...many equate it to money, needing to kill, etc...the bottom line is this, you are either comfortable in that when you go out with the trad bow you can successfully kill an animal or you aren't.

Nobody here can answer it...you shoot everyday, go to 3d's, practice, etc...your mind knows what your skill level is...can you hack it or you can't...no shame either way, there is only a right way to go about doing something...proficiency is key here, not what others think you can do/should do.

Doubt is a tough opponent, with cost factored in it is tougher still...your 5 months out thinking about it, if you can't work it out now, good chance you'll be cooked linguini when it is green light time.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Sounds like BJK hit it on the head to me.
If it was me, I would take the 'curve, and hunt in a way that will place the deer within 12- 18 yards....your comfort zone. Just know your limits and make yourself stick to them.
It is hunting, not killing. Go with whatever your gut tells you. I think any deer taken with any bow is a trophy. Good luck on your journey.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Quiet your spirit call upon the ancient ones and the answer will come in the stillness. All doubt leaves a quiet soul.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©