3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A watershed moment  (Read 1506 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A watershed moment
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Your question of not killing anything "yet" with the Quest.  Bottom line is you never will by not taking it????????????????
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
hey buddy just get out there and kick ass. in other words just do it. you wont regret it belive me i have been there and done that. and if i dont get any thing sh.. happens LOL!!!   :archer:   but i am still happy that i did it and you will be to i am sure.most of all have fun.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
When is the hunt? this is only May. Practise every day, work on form, work on judging yardage, work on form again. if you don't what to practise then hunt with a gun!!!

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
How will you feel years from now when you look up at the mount on the wall.  Will you think less of the deer because you used a compound instead of the recurve?  If it's all about the kill, use a rifle and increase your odds even more.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Pack your gear.....and your recurve.....and leave for your hunt.

When you get there and all you have is your recurve,there won't be much choice now will there?????

You will hunt with your recurve.....and have the time of your life.....(you might even fill your tag)

That's why they call it huntin'.....not killin'
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by shootrmn:
Quiet your spirit call upon the ancient ones and the answer will come in the stillness. All doubt leaves a quiet soul.
Very nice quote!
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Take the compound this time and the recurve next trip.  There is nothing wrong with using a compound...it just depends where you are on the journey.  Whatever you pick good luck and have fun!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
You want to use the compound or you wouldn't have asked and that's alright. When I got rid of my compound I never looked back. I have always dreamed of hunting elk and if I am drawn I will carry my longbow because it's not about the kill for me but the path I walked getting an opportunity for the shot. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
I think it all comes down to this: Consider if you get a decent buck..any buck. When you look at the hero picture of yourself and the deer and it has a compound bow in it, are you going to be satisfied with the hunt? .... or will you be  saying to yourself "I wish I'd taken him with my Brack"
If it doesn't matter to you, then take the compound. If you will have the slightest pang in seeing yet another picture and memory without the trad bow, then you have your answer there.  ;)

Beyond that, you have to shake that doubt. Go small game hunting, 3D'n till it feels natural and the compound doesn't feel as natural.
There's nothing quite like taking a deer with a tradbow.
Pick a spot and gitterdone !   ;)    :thumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Since ur asking the question , maybe the time isnt now! When the feeling comes over you , you will know!!!I practice with all my hunting clothes on , shooting BH's ...good luck!!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Now that I've had time to think, I believe tht your first shot on live game with Trad gear, will be the toughest you've ever made (speaking from experience) As has been mentioned before, try & get a local hunt in before the Fall &make meat with your recurve, whether it's a rabbit, deer, hog or javie, it doesn't matter.Once youve done it once, believe me, it does get easier. The thing to remember is to know your limitations & absolutley stick to them. No matter who's there, what the situation is or how much encouragement you're getting, if you're not comfortable, you don't have to take the shot. You'll get just as much of a rush from not taking it, as you will from dropping the string. My first shot on live game was at the Sweat. I knew for an absolute fact, that I could hit what I was looking at, upto 25yds. My first shot was at 20yds & I missed by at least 15 feet! All you can do, in my opinion, is to take the 'curve & try your absolute best, to do all you can do. At some point, if you stick with Trad gear, you'll have to let fly at an animal. Whether your first shot is at a bunny or a 10pt buck, the thrill is the same. Do not be embarrassed about making a bad shot, not one person in the world, who has huntedin any discipline has a 100% success rate. Bad shots happen to everyone, at some point. As soon as you can come to terms with this, the more confidence yu will have & the better a shot you'll be.

Just my 2p.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bilbow Bagem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I shot a very very nice 6X6 elk about three and a half years ago.  It was 17 yards.  It was the last time I shot my wheelie.  I remember thinking after the shot...I could have done that with a recurve.  I have taken one hog and missed two deer since then.  Going back to my Matthews has never been in the picture.  I could have limited out on deer last season if I had had my compond.  I still have no regrets.  The site of that shaft arching through the air is just too pretty.

You still have plenty of time to get the confidence you need between now and then.  Things can come together pretty quicly.  I have been only a fair shot until about three weeks ago.  I have recently started concentrating on my form per much of the advice on trad gang and it has paid off in spades.  :goldtooth:

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
When you're old and looking back at the arc of your life, what will make you the proudest?  What is more important to you:  the outcome of the hunt or the way you hunted?  

Not easy questions.  You might not find the answers this year or even next year.  Good luck to you, though!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Since switching to traditional there have been
MANY times that I have passed on shots that I would have never hesitated taking if I was using a compound. Looking back, I have no regrets.

Passing on a shot at a booner cause he`s just too far will be hard to swallow. But killing him, and not being satisfied with the accomplishment might be even worse.

If it were me, I would go all out. Practice to your honest effective range, as much as possible.
Shoot your bow until the draw weight is effortless. Practice range estimation constantly.
The flight path of your arrows should be etched
into your minds eye.

All these things should be done regardless of which bow you use. And as Fred Bear said, "Go afield with a good attitude and respect." The rest will take care of itself.

One more thing,..... Best of luck.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by knife river:
When you're old and looking back at the arc of your life, what will make you the proudest?  ...
Knife,

Now that right there is the most compelling argument I have read in this thread.

I went out tonight after reading all of the replies of everyone to this thread. I shot about 5 rounds each from my Golden Eagle and my Brack. I shot the usual 3 arrow, 2 inch groups with my GE. I had a particularly tough night with the Brack.

Ironically, this made it all clear. Nothing worth accomplishing in life is easy. (I think I read that in someone's signature line.) The wheels are history, and when I'm old and gray looking at the pictures from my hunts I will be looking at one of two things: either I will be proudly smiling over a trophy with my Brack laid across the chest, or, I will be be standing with my recurve in hand with a smile knowing that I gave it my very best.

Man you guys make me think... Thanks for the encouragement and the support on this journey. I'll post my photos in November.   :thumbsup:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Congratulations. You made a choice. In every truly Traditional Hunter, there comes a point where they decide that Traditional is more than the weapon I choose, it is a lifestyle I choose. This is who I am and how it plays out is so much less important than how I play. It appears you have taken that big step and can now work on getting better with out second guessing yourself. Enjoy the internal peace, it makes focusing so much easier.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

When you turn the corner, nothing feels better. For me it was my second trad harvest this last season. (In....6 years of trying ? :\\) Late season doe with the longbow. Made the previous misses and ALL the effort worth it.  Was an amazing experience.

I hope that like me, you'll have a nice 8 pointer at 6 yards come october. Unlike me, I bet you nail him !  (watch those bow limbs when treestand shooting)  ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Congrats and good luck. We expect pics!LOL. Have fun.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
now that you've made your choice, get out and hunt every critter you can till your deer hunt. Do you have an open squirrel season there? nothing builds confidence like being able to shoot some small game.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Simple as I can put it. It's gotta be the manner in which you take it, than taking it. That said, a hunt of a lifetime (maybe) and the first animal with trad might not be the time.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©