3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting from the trees is for the birds.  (Read 613 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting from the trees is for the birds.
« on: August 27, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Well I did a dry run last evening and having never really hunted from a tree stand I found it a bit uncomfortable. Let's see.

I am afraid of heights.
I felt cramped and fidgety.
The harness kept getting in the way.
I felt like I was always about to drop my brand new bow.
Getting up there is kind of a pain.
I was too loud on that metal contraption.
Drawing the bow is harder when you think you are going to plummet to your death.

But I did see lots of nice birds in the canopy.    :D  

Here's a picture I took while I was up there. Almost dropped my camera too.    "[dntthnk]"    I have a feeling most of my hunting will be from the ground this year.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting from the trees is for the birds.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rank Bull:
Well I did a dry run last evening and having never really hunted from a tree stand I found it a bit uncomfortable. Let's see.

I am afraid of heights.
I felt cramped and fidgety.
The harness kept getting in the way.
I felt like I was always about to drop my brand new bow.
Getting up there is kind of a pain.
I was too loud on that metal contraption.
Drawing the bow is harder when you think you are going to plummet to your death.

But I did see lots of nice birds in the canopy.     :D    

Here's a picture I took while I was up there. Almost dropped my camera too.     "[dntthnk]"     I have a feeling most of my hunting will be from the ground this year.

First off Your NOT  afraid of heights, Because You made it up that high... Your afraid of falling.

It is something you have to get used to doing to feel OK in a tree stand..

What do Your  The harness kept getting in the way??

Offline MartinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Whatever you do don't drop that Kanati.  :scared:

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
lol.....Too funny, I guess its not for everyone.
I have a cousin that said as much as he loves to bowhunt If they made it a law that he had to do it from a tree. he would eat beef the rest of his life....

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Sal is right. I was once afraid of heights. Work got me over that. Afraid of falling is another story. Try a ladder stand to get used to the feeling. Can't beat the visibility especially early season. All that being said, I'll be on the ground this year. Can't afford a climber and nothing like being eye to eye. Good luck.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
You should enjoy your time afeid.  There are a lot of accomplished ground hunters.  Do what ever you feel is right for you and most of all ENJOY it!!!

:wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Get something to hang your bow from and an arrow holder to keep your arrow from falling off.  A matchstick and rubberband will work for the arrow holder or you can buy a stick on.  A screw-in step or a cut limb can serve to hold your bow.  Then you won't have to worry about dropping your stuff when you are trying to take pictures. That will make your "sit" up in the sky more tolerable. Good luck to you sir!    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
You'll turn into a .."MONKEY" real fast... Just never get careless !!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Texas was made for a tripod stand anyway. Go get one.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Haha.. my sentiments exactly!
There was a time many moons ago when climbing up on things didn't bother me. Now, I can barely stand to climb a ladder to my roof.
Ground for me!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I think being afraid of falling and heights are both misnamed.  I think we are all afraid of the landing.  :laughing:  

I have jumped out of helicopters and other flying craft and always loved the falling feeling.  Those landings could be tough at times.

If you give the tree stand some time you will get used to it.  I on the other hand have spent enough time up in the air and my hunting is all done on the ground.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Right on KentuckyTJ. Those tri-pods come in all shapes and sizes. Heck, you can even get a quad pod if that would be more comfy. My favorites are two 7 ft. aluminum numbers. They work great in mesquites, which for the most part are large bushes with thorns. If I happen to find a nice fat live oak with acorns, I'm more inclined to use a stable ladder stand. I started out with a Baker many moons ago. That was before the safety harness came on the scene. I got to tell ya, that was an experience to remember. Still havn't gotten over those Baker climbing stands. Good luck "Rank Bull". I promise you the experience is worth the effort.  :banghead:

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and sympathy. The problem with the harness can be fixed.

Since I am in such good shape (haha), there is a lot of leftover straps hanging everywhere, which is probably dangerous also. I'll just need to cut them off.

It wasn't easy finding a decent tree to put this thing in either. Trees around here  tend to be pretty squat.

I'm sure I will get more comfortable as I get use to it...but I think I will always be a ground pounder in my heart.

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I have a tripod, but it is more of a rifle setup it seems. I don't see any way to draw from it.

Hmmm, maybe I will build an elevated stand. Electric company just replaced the utility poles and left them ther for me. 30' oughta be high enough. lol

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I like, if I can find it, to put my stand (s) in a tree with some limbs. I feel better concealed and more secure if I have a branch beside me or in front. I make sure I have a limb stub or screw-in (if legal) or tie-on bow holder so my hands can be free.

Remember, that deer is on or making a trail. Sometimes I have to remind myself if the perfect (and secure) tree isn't right where I want it, the deer isn't going to parachute in -- he may walk by a better stand location.  I also make sure I have my safety harness on. I adjust the harness so it is lightly pulling against my torso when I sit, this way I can confidently feel it supporting me.

It always takes several minutes the first time I hunt a new stand to get comfortable with all my hunting stuff in the tree with me.  I hunt turkey from the ground, mulies, antelope and elk. I hunt white-tails from the trees.

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
You could set up your safety harness on a stand just high enough so you won't hit the ground.  then to develop confidence in yourself and your safety harness fallout and let the safety harness do its job. However, make sure someone that likes you is standing by ready to call an ambulance, just in case. Kind of like practice rolling with a canoe. You could set up a camo safety net under you, to catch your bow if you drop it as well or just have somebody sit under you and catch it.  The few times I set up a stand, I always made sure I had a couple of nearby trees or branches that were good and strong to lean on and balance myself when I had to stand up to get back to that oh so sweet mother earth.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
What Paven writes sounds logical.  However, be very careful "testing" or trying out these safety vests and tethers.  They are not made to withstand multiple falls. In fact, most makers of this equipment recommend you replace the vest or tether if you experience a single fall, no matter how far the fall.  

I know that may sound radical (dare I say over-kill?)  and very expensive but remember, only 33% of us will fall. Ten percent of those who fall without being arrested (fall halted by a vest) will suffer death or permanent injury.  The cost of a $60-150 vest is cheap compared to those outcomes!

Some people have gotten so excited with the sight of game approaching they have simply walked right out of their treestand!

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I am just the opposite.  I feel very predatory in a tree and feel naked and exposed on the ground.  Course, I started hunting from a tree many years ago as a kid and have never looked back.  I think that I was lucky to a degree though, we didn't know about safety harnesses and had homemade treestands that wouldn't have passed any safety standards.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Using a tree stand does take getting used to. Lots of fellas like them. I'm a ground lover... Don't gotta carry a stand, wear a life vest, clear shooting lanes, feel tied to one spot.

It's tough on the ground, but so... That's hunting.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Hope ya like steak !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©