3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting from the trees is for the birds.  (Read 614 times)

Re: Hunting from the trees is for the birds.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
When testing the harness, I would not recommend  doing a giant hail mary.  More like just let yourself swing out on it without too much shock.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I know the feelings you listed, Rank Bull.  I feel that same way after years of trying to be comfortable in a tree stand. Sold my last one this spring.  Been a ground hunter now for the last 3-4 years, have more fun, more relaxed, see as many deer and have killed just as many.  No sweating while hanging on a step trying to hang a stand and no lugging the things around trying to find the perfect tree.  I'M FREE!.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ArrowCrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Treestand hunting can be intimidating… I was once put on a treestand that was preinstalled and must have been 30' up. I don't like hights as I too am afraid of " f a l l i n g ".

My treestands are only between 10 and 15 " off the ground…a comfortable height for me.

I thought that it was redsiculous to be up at 30 + feet as the angle is to sharp and it is unnecessary to be that high. As a matter of fact , even being that High a deer that stopped under my stand looked right up at me. The purpose of treestands is to get you and your scent off the ground and above potential game so as to put the eliment of surprise on your side.

From your pic it looks like you were up pretty high but pic's can be deciving. Anyway, treestand hunting can be very effective… The more you use them the more comfortable you will get with the height thing…and… you really don't need to be way way up there. Just make sure you use safety equipment ( haul line, safety straps, etc.) No need to be up very high.

Good luck.
   :archer:    :archer:    :archer:    :archer:
Yours In BowHunting,

Bob

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Just looking at your bare naked legs has made me swear off tree stands forever! Any deer looking up and seeing that would be heard laughing for several hundred yards in any direction!
Put on some long pants, and build a gound blind!
The deer and I would appreciate it!!!!
On a serious note...I love hunting from the ground because of its simplicity and silence...
But I do enjoy the view from an elevated platform..
(but I do wear long pants so as not to annoy or entertain the local squirrel population)
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by sendero25:
Just looking at your bare naked legs has made me swear off tree stands forever! Any deer looking up and seeing that would be heard laughing for several hundred yards in any direction!
Put on some long pants, and build a gound blind!
The deer and I would appreciate it!!!!
On a serious note...I love hunting from the ground because of its simplicity and silence...
But I do enjoy the view from an elevated platform..
(but I do wear long pants so as not to annoy or entertain the local squirrel population)
Hey now it was just a dry run so I was in hiking shorts. Come hunting season I will put on the loin cloth. Haha

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Loin cloth!   :scared:    :laughing:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Use a ladder stand and wear a harness. I think you'll be more comfortable. Most ladders are in three pieces. For this year, just use 2 sections so you are not as high off the ground -- maybe 12 feet or so. Once you get used to it, you'll want to add the third section, or maybe not and that's ok too.

sam

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Don't sweat the small stuff.if you fall you have a harness,And the more nervous you are about it will make you a basket of nerves and everything will feel uncomfortable from that point. offset the stand to your shooting lane so you can draw without hitting the tree.Take that carpet off.That will give you a false feeling when you stand.instead take some expansion foam and fine the small holes(if not make 2-3 with a small bit the size of the straw) in the stand platform and fill the inside of the tubes with foam(it will absorb the noise).When you place your steps use as many as you need to keep from having to struggle to reach the next step.And place the offset to the stand so the last step from a step is the platform.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I do a lot of my hunting from a treestand. I like the old Loc-ons I have, but I have to say I feel more comfortable/secure using one of my ladder stands.

On the loc-ons, it just takes me a little while to get used to being up there. My safety harness helps me a lot in settling down.

My Dad fell from a tree and never got in another one. A friend fell and broke or fractured several bones, plus had to crawl out of the woods in that condition. He was very fortunate that a passing motorist was observant and saw something odd moving through CRP. He stopped to investigate and found my friend.

I think I am going to try more time on the ground this year, but won't give up on treestands under the right conditions.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I hate heights!!!  I have a hard time going over high bridges, riding in the mountains, riding in a glass elevator, looking out a high rise window.  Believe me I know where you're coming from, Bull.  However, I do hunt from treestands, as long as they are no higher than about 15'.  If my head gets much over 20', I cannot get comfortable enough to hunt.  I traded my last climber away for a bow because I was too scared to use it.  I go with cover rather than height.  I hunt from or around a holly, pine, or cedar tree whenever possible.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Hey, too each their own! Lol. That being said, being uncomfortable in a situation is not good. I can say that with more time, it gets easier. Either way, its nice to be out there.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
I love being 20-25 feet up a tree strapped in with my backpack hanging on a tree step on my right side so i can just reach in and get everything i need.

Also i have my eezy hanger so that i can hang my bow while i get a chew or eat lunch.

Nother better to me than being up high so i can get away with movement and not have to worry so much about my scent.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
DO NOT TEST YOUR SAFETY HARNESS

Tests have shown when people test their harness it weakens it. Some harnesses even have the brake away stitching so if you test that one and you brake the stitching your harness will not work the way it should.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©