3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Having a hard time  (Read 824 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Having a hard time
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
I am having a hard time making up my mind on this deer season.  Right now, I can hit the kill zone on my 3D target 90-95% of the time from 20 yards.  At 15, the deer is in trouble.  I am having a hard time putting the compound down for the season.  I feel I need to use it to put some meat in the freezer.  I don't know why I feel this way but I do.  Do you have any ideas or thoughts on how to figure out what bow to use.  I know taking the recurve will lead to less shots at longer ranges, but I will kick myself if I take it and shoot a deer at 15 yards with my compound.  What do you suggest a guy that does not know what to use take to the field?

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Having a hard time
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Its your call... but I sold my compound and am hunting with my longbow this season.  If your hitting that well that often... I'd just bring the recurve.  BUT you need to decide if that is how you want to hunt.  I faced the same dilema for a while, until I finally sold my compound and forced my self to focus on traditional.  Once I did, I really got my shooting up to par and my confidence.  I think if you bring the recurve, you'll be much happier with your kill than if you were just filling the freezer with the compound... that said you could also meat hunt with the compound and then put it away for the season and focus on the recurve.  

Ultimately its your call, but I think you are good to go with the stick and string... you sound like you're there.

Good luck this season.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
My son is also working towards conversion (with me) from compounds to recurve . He shoots a Predator Custom Classic.  He is good to 20 yards and great from 15 and under. He has never hunted with traditional equipment.  He is going to try and take his first deer of the year this season with his compound and then take the recurve. As for me, I'm going to hunt with the recurve in my home state where I have lots of time and know my area really well. I'll hunt in Indiana with my compound because the shot is likely going to be closer to 35 yards than 20 yards.  However, I'll have a month to hunt here in KY (starts Sept. 4th). If I tag a couple recurve deer in Sept. I may be so excited that I'll also take the recurve to Indiana?!

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Use both.  Take the CB when you feel like and take the recurve when the mood strikes you. Don't force the issue...let things happen.

Good luck

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
do what I did. go wack some meat get out of your system.with the compound.Then go out with your trad,bow.an shoot some deer if you miss so what you will learn from your mistakes.have fun dont put pressure on your self.or just comit to trad 2-days a week or 1/2 of the time you hunt.but ya gotta comit!!!! I have been wheel free for 5-6 yrs an now Iam back to taking 6-8 deer a year.I dont give it a second thought now it become the way I hunt.....

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
i assume you have been successful with the compound. The only question I would ask is how many deer have you killed with the compound within a 20 yard radius? My only point being that (I'm making some assumptions here) I bet it's  more than one or two, And how many could you have taken with a recurve? If the answer is "most of them" then what I really hear you saying is that you still have doubts about getting it done with trad equipment. If you lack the confidence and need the meat then do the meat hunting thing with the compound and then do what Plumber suggests afterwards.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
leave the wheels at home. The ones out of range will be quickly forgotten when you put one down with your recurve.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I like the idea of using both and making a plan.  I think there are some stands I hunt that I can not shoot past 20 yards.  I am going to make a plan so that I use my recurve X times this season.  I think that will allow me to see how I like it compared to the compound.  Keep the ideas coming.

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Asking that question here makes me think maybe your mind is already made up.....not that anyone here is a little biassed.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Go small game hunting with your recurve.  Once you have your hunting confidence, go after large game.

Hunt with what you want to though.  It's your season, do with it what you wiah.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
the only way to gain confidence is to go do it.if you never do it,you will always wonder,what if.if you succeed,the memories will last a lifetime.good luck this season,steve

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I was in your shoes this time last year my friend & trust me I was training my tail off to get to where I could say "I'm ready for hunting season" but in the back of my mind I was telling my self I needed to keep my compound bow for the freezer but once my friend Paul Vogel told me that my shooting was easily ready for the hunting woods I decided to sell my last compound bow & go with my recurve.

I've been happier for my decision.

It is up to you & only you can decide weather or not you are ready for the woods with only traditional gear.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I have killed a couple deer with a recurve and missed several. Will be taking a compound for hunting this archery season . Feel I  owe it to the deer to shoot something I have 100% confidence with. When the acuracy is ready , will change over to all Trad.Just not ready now .  Just one opinion. Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Whatever you feel more comfortable with. You can either have a machine do the shooting for you or you can limit your shots and do it with your shooting skills and the recurve. Once you shoot your first deer with your recurve you'll be selling the compound. Good Luck!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I never killed a deer with a compound but I can assure when you see or kill a deer or any other big game killed with a recurve or longbow you will never doubt the weapon again.The first deer I saw and help recover in  1975 I was sold on a bow as a hunting weapon and killed my first the next year,and have been hunting with stick bows since.Its the arrow that does it not the bow.Kip

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
When how you do it becomes more important to you than  than how big or how many, the answer become obvious.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I understand the meat issue, but I found out many years ago, the more fun you can inject into the situation, the EASIER things come.

The real truth is, 90-95% of all hunters, trad, or compound shooters should keep their shots within fifteen yards if we are talking EVERY arrow EVERY time. The woodlands whitetail is a skittish, miracle of evolution. It can move quicker than the eye can see. If not, it would have been extinct many eons ago.

Do not kick yourself if you take your compound and kill at extreme close range. Celebrate your ability to invade the space of a critter designed to protect itself from the likes of you. Celebrate, and elevate. Take the experience with whatever weapon you choose, and put it to memory. Get better and better, until there is no need to wonder wich bow you will carry.

It ain`t the bow bro...it`s you...all you!

A hearty amen and a tip of the hat for your concern and knowledge of your EFFECTIVE range!!!  :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
chub , here i had same issues last fall took the training wheels after season was over i was sorry i did not do the trad gig this year i shoot every eve 25 shots i even instslled a draw check wheelies are stayin home baby !

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with using your compound to fill your freezer.  In the past, I've used my rifle for that very thing.  Some one both sides of the aisle will cringe when I say this, but I sold all of my hunting rifles, except for my favorite one.  I enjoy shooting it and I like for my meat supply for the year to be certain.  I also like for the things I have (guns, bows, knives, what have you) to have a purpose, and I like to use them for that purpose.

I will say that a rifle kill feels different to me.  It's just not as satisfying to me.  However, the practical side in me hunts for meat for my family.  I want that to be as sure of a thing as possible.

I do, however, absolutely love hunting with a longbow. I probably make it harder than it needs to be, but that's okay.  With my freezer not being empty, it's a lot easier to wait for the perfect opportunity. Anything I take also is more precious to me. I guess I'd say it's a little more soul-stirring. In the end, I'm still hunting for food, but I'm still challenging myself.

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
My  transition to traditional lasted 2 deer seasons and I remember feeling then exactly as you do now. Take it easy, do what you feel, you will know when the time comes for the wheelie to head for the auction block. Right after I sold mine, a beautiful doe presented herself at 12 yards, and gave me and my Easton Classic shaft  a full pass-through, shot from my second-hand Black Widow. I'll never forget it!!! Have Faith and Confidence...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©