3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: make your own ghillie suit?  (Read 486 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: make your own ghillie suit?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
They take some getting used to.  I suggest dry runs wearing it.  Everything you usually do might be impacted by wearing it.    That said. .  once you've learned the tricks you need to use your suit,  they are awesome.

As was said, i trimmed and trimmed.  I finally trimmed the inside of my bow forearm arm down to nearly nothing.  I wear an arm guard that holds down some of it.

I also acquired a set of gloves, made by someone else,  can't recall who, but they have sewn in ghillie material, so my bow hand is also ghillied up.  I had to trim nearly all of the stuff on the top side of the hand, that part that is up when holding the bow..

I don't wear the ghillie face mask, rather use another that is a bit tighter.  The ghillie boonie hat is great, but i wear it twisted around to the left a bit with the string around behind my left ear.  When you go to shoot, it tends to work itself around and in the way.  That move keeps it in place.  It takes a while to trim away all the bad stuff so keep at it.

I also found that by wearing light waders underneath (I cross a small ditch that is about belly deep)it seems to contain my scent (imagine that. .  waders. . ) and I have had deer all but step on me.  That said, I still use a wind string and watch it religiously.

This year, when it is ghillie time, I am gonna make a piece like Guru did. .  great idea.. to mask my movement of drawing the bow.

I like it.  BTW   works on skwerls too !
ChuckC

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: make your own ghillie suit?
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Here's a pic of my homemade ghillie suit I made especially for Alaska.  Worked pretty well as long as the wind didn't switch on me...

Cost about $25 total.  $18 veil from ghilliesuits dot com and an old GI cap sewn in with serving thread and superglue plus three strips of velcro.  Two on my bow arm and one on the shooting arm.  

Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©