3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horrible archery shop experience  (Read 2520 times)

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horrible archery shop experience
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
It is usally the other way around,wheel bow archery shops don't have a clue to which arrow is proper for a trad bow.I don't use charts but the ones I have looked at do not recommend a 2117 for a 37# bow,way to stiff.There are alot of sponsors here that will help you way better then that.The moral is don't get advice from a wheel shop on setting up a trad bow.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Speaking of charts, I even watched him look at the Easton chart that is in all my catalogs, the same chart I have consulted, and he looks up and says "2117" and I think "what the f&%!".  But I'm the new guy, the trad guy in a wheel shop and I don't make enough stink...my blasted mistake.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
take the arrows back and get ya money back thats what i would do if i were you. good luck on that please let us know how it goes.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Probably didn't have anything close to what you needed.  I saw a local guy in my area show up at the range with 2512s for a 45# bow.  Said the guy at the wheelie shop said they would be fine for him  :rolleyes: .  I also was standing near the counter of a local shop when the "archery" guy told a trad shooter that you could not shoot arrows of the shelf of his recurve (one made to shoot that way)--you absolutely have to use an elevated rest.  I had to stick my nose into the conversation and correct the misinformation.  The guy was shooting featers to boot.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Yup I had a similar experience back when I started.  I love it when they blab but really have no clue, makes me feel lucky to have some good guys to go to.  There is a bow shop not 15 mins away that we drive past to go to the one 45 mins away. Well worth it even tho they are compounders they dable in the trad world, so even tho they don't know much about it, they respect it.

Advice above is great  :)
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I suggest a test kit -

Stores here in Idaho are not trad friendly at all. About 15 years ago I got yelled at for using a trad bow to hunt: with by an archery shop owner... and my youngest son had it happen to him the other day.

I make my purchases through the sponsors here- for the most part.

I say test kit because there are ten thousand discussions of what spine is best - so actually trying different ones and seeing how they work with your release and techniques are the best way to find the arrows your looking for.

I would start though with what other people here with your draw length and bow weight say you should use.

Don't worry this will all end up being fun    :archer:    :archer2:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
It is unfortunate but going to a local Archery Shop for a trad guy is at best a waste of time. Like others have suggested get with an on-line sponsor here.
The local guys know nothing about trad, and why should they? They don't get any trad customers.

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I could also recommend giving Ted a call at Raptor. Very helpful and patient.
Dav

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Typical attitude in a modern compound store. Thankfully I live 5 mins from a trad shop.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
I suggest a test kit -

Stores here in Idaho are not trad friendly at all. About 15 years ago I got yelled at for using a trad bow to hunt: with by an archery shop owner... and my youngest son had it happen to him the other day.

I make my purchases through the sponsors here- for the most part.

I say test kit because there are ten thousand discussions of what spine is best - so actually trying different ones and seeing how they work with your release and techniques are the best way to find the arrows your looking for.

I would start though with what other people here with your draw length and bow weight say you should use.

Don't worry this will all end up being fun     :archer:      :archer2:  
Yelled at!?!? Oh, dood, you are more of a man than I. Somebody might have got hurt over that nonsense.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
If he knew you where a "new guy" to archery he was probably just trying to unload whatever he had on you just so he could get rid of it.  He probably doesn't understand arrow spine himself.  

I don't have an archery shop anywhere near me but fortunatly the archery shop at the Gander Mountain that I go to is ran by a guy who shoots a Widow PSR.  He let me shoot it once when I was in there.  I was looking for some stuff and he asked why I needed that and then the stories began.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Sounds like a big box type store.

I have had to correct the numbnutt behind the counter a few times.  If it isn't a nationwide type box store then I'd call the owner and tell him he got $160 of the only pennies he'll ever see from you and anyone else you talk to.

Many times the guy behind the counter knows nothing about any type of archery, let alone trad, and isn't mature enough to ask more questions nor have the testicular fortitude to say the ever impossible "I don't know but will find out".

Anytime someone utters the above to me I almost have a stroke I am so surprised.  Most would rather lie than simply say, "sir I have no idea but if you give me a moment I will do my best to find out"...

Good luck, not all shops or compound guys are belittling to trad guys.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Chris hit the nail on the head when he mentioned a little word..."respect."
I understand your plight. There aren't any trad dealers around here that I know of. No one carries feathers, wooden shafts, or glue on points. The salesmen at the local archery shops don't have the time for me. I agree with the mail order/internet suggestions. Also, you may work out deals with some of the members on here.
Good luck,
Stan

Offline Northern Whisper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear of your experience in the archery shop. i worked as an arrow smith in a shop in the UP of Michigan and ended up leaving archery completely for several years due to attitudes of some of the customers. Mind you I had no problem with the trad people, it was all the gear hunters who thought arrows grew on trees. At your draw weight I would say 1916 or at most 2018. I shot 2018's out of a Northern Mist long bow which drew 54 at 28" and my draw length is 31", I used 2018's and they flew like darts. If I had a choice I would tell the guy you talked to an arrowsmith and he said they are the wrong arrows, hand them back, get your money and run.

I would then look for a trad shop, or if one is not available go online. If you need help send me a pm and I will gladly help.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Visiting an archery shop for even the basics can be painfull at times.   :(  
I have one not too far from me, they do dabble in trad gear, but the attitudes that go with a simple sale are hard to tolerate sometimes.

I'd like to patronize more often...really I would.  But how do you tell someone who insists that they are better at cutting my shafts to length and gluing inserts, than I am, that they are mistaken ?  When I said I my want to leave them longer for tuning....I think I lost em' !   ;)

"No gauranty's then"    Huh ?  
Never realized there were gauranty's on spine !    :biglaugh:  

Plus, August/September are about the last two months you want to venture into that territory !   :)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
If you get around Grand Rapids there is a Trad only store in Sand Lake called Wilderness Dreams great guys with a decent inventory and not bad prices! I worked in a big box type store and this is the time of the year that the wheelie guys come out of the wood work and you are right most of the people that work in the archery dept either no nothing or think they know everything!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
I'm sorry but not at all surprised this happened to you.  By the way, some of these hired guns at the "pro" shops don't know much about compounds either. They get pretty good at attaching brass nock locators, putting a rubber hose on the string and peep, and the real experts can tie on a "D-Loop" with little regard whether or not it screws up your draw length or not. There's a shop not far from me, it's a gun shop with a bow corner. I like the shop owner but his son... every time I go in there looking to serve myself by looking for some odd thing, he tries to impress with a nugget of wisdom or two -- that he heard from the last guy who walked in from a 3-D tournament. Give these guys a Whisker Bisket, Rubber Hose Peep, and a fall-away rest and they become PH.D's in archery technology.

I cringe at the information some of these fellows pass out. There are far better experts working in basements and garages around this country than in most of these shops.

They probably look at a traditional guy as someone who is behind the times or so poorly heeled they can't afford a compound.

I shoot a 27.5" arrow out of 45-48 pound recurves -- Beeman MFX Classics in 600 spine and Easton 1916 Legacy shafts are what the doctor ordered for me -- broadheads and field points impact the same spot.

Thirty minutes wouldn't mean anything to me. I'd take a chart back and show the fellow how badly he screwed you over and demand a refund or replacement, properly sized shafts.  I don't even ask these fellows for help. I just want to know where their nocks, inserts, etc. are and I'll help myself thank-you.  The rub occurs when you ask for something they don't have... then they start the archery lesson that points you to inventory they'd like to move.

My apologies to any shop fellows that may be on this site that surely don't fit my description.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
It's a shame that you ran into a compound device a--h--e on your first time to an archery shop. 2016 would be as stiff as I would want them or 500 carbons. PLEASE ask on this or other trad sites before you spend your hard earned dollars with a shop that doesn't want your business anyhow. Yes try the sponsors here as they CARE about what you get. Just my 2 cents. Frank

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
FWIW the current aluminum charts do suggest way overspined shafts.

If the sales guy consulted a recent distributor's catalog it would be an honest error.

I had a customer come in with a 45# recurve and the charts showed 2117 or 2216 and I told him  forget that, go qwith 1816 or 1916.

He didn't want to believe me over the charts in the shop or those he saw online! I didn't try to push it, just explained I had similar bows and what worked well for me.

The conversation went to my current setup....and he was more receptive of my carbon arrow explanations. Mine shot well for him, so he had me build him a comparable set.

Stopped the talking, we went shooting, light bulbs came on, sales made.

Happy customer with proper gear that works well for him- proven before the sale (and after).

This, in a predominately compound shop.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Andrew,

My wife’s is from Saginaw so we need to get together and do some shooting when I'm up that way.  Several good guys in this neck of the woods and many get events that are a ton of fun.

Send me a PM for what you need on the arrows if you don't take them back...I might need some 2117's.

The spine on them 2117's is .407 and I believe you need something around .600 or so which as you guess it close to the 1916's (.623 spine)!  If you want some carbon’s there are a few that make 600’s and they’re tough shafts!

I find that with most archery shops you need to go in armed with good advice from this site and buy without asking them many questions!

Once you find an arrow that is spined right it is a thing of beauty as it arches to the target!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©