3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horrible archery shop experience  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horrible archery shop experience
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Yup. I don't care what a person shoots- if they shoot it well that's good enough  :)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Just posted the 2117's in the classifieds here for trade.  Looking for 29" 1816, 1916, 3555, or 600.  Again, just bought these today.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
A friend of mine stopped at the local "pro shop". As he walked in the door, the "pro" behind the counter was attempting to string a recurve using a bow press. I stopped at the same store this summer and the same "pro" was trying to string a recurve with a string 5" too short. I told him it was the wrong length, his reply was "I know what I'm doing". I explained that it was a 58" bow and therefore needed a 55" string. He set the bow on the counter and measured tip to tip, then told me it was a 53" bow and that's why it needed a 50" string. While we were arguing, a kid behind the counter grabbed a 55" string and strung the bow. The fellow that owned the bow then asked for some wood arrows, I suggested he drive 2 miles to Cajun archery.
 The only thing most archery shops are good for is comic relief.
 In my 40# bows I use .600 to .500 carbons depending on point weight.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Most shops in our area seem to be diffrent from the above situations. Most here are interested and really find trad cool, especially when they see it in action. Trad archery sales are usually very small at the local level and rightly so due to usually little demand in comparison to high demand sales compound bows and acc. provide. Not taking up for these shops ...but now days shops are focused on inventory control and want inventory in a shop that will move quickly. I like to see the more established shops dive into offering traditional,(those who can stand to sit on inventory longer)....but their has to be a local demand for trad supplies for that to happen. It is up to us to educate alot of these shops to keep them up to speed on all styles of archery. Most shops are seeing more and more compound guys going to a trad bow for simplicity. Its a slow trend and small but evident.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by GREG IN MALAD:
A friend of mine stopped at the local "pro shop". As he walked in the door, the "pro" behind the counter was attempting to string a recurve using a bow press. I stopped at the same store this summer and the same "pro" was trying to string a recurve with a string 5" too short. I told him it was the wrong length, his reply was "I know what I'm doing". I explained that it was a 58" bow and therefore needed a 55" string. He set the bow on the counter and measured tip to tip, then told me it was a 53" bow and that's why it needed a 50" string. While we were arguing, a kid behind the counter grabbed a 55" string and strung the bow. The fellow that owned the bow then asked for some wood arrows, I suggested he drive 2 miles to Cajun archery.
 The only thing most archery shops are good for is comic relief.
Jeezus. What would you have done if it were YOUR bow he was doing that totwotoo?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Spectre,
 If that were my bow I think I would have beat him with it. Fortunately there is one shop in the area that likes trad shooters, we buy more arrows than compound shooters.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
The LAST time I went to bay archery I was very new to traditional equipment.I had a calf hair strike plate put on and figured out when I got home that is was glued on with the hair going the wrong direction! But if you are going to spend big money on high tech equip they will take GOOD care of you ......go figure.......internet is the only way to go in mid mi ....trust me

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I had the same problem.I shoot a 40 pound bow try 1816 or 600 carbons.

TXCP

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I don't know of a person at a pro-shop I would trust a question about my archery.

The number one thing I like about this site (the only other site I trust like this is the Widow Wall) is I can follow the questions of other people (and occassionally my own) to expand my horizons. I can sort through the various suggestions and evaluate what makes sense to me. I'm pleasantly surprised (and I don't mean to come across as "cocky" here) that after all these years of shooting and teaching, I regularly pick up a tip here that I would never have discovered elsewhere.  

Some of the new folks ask questions that take me back to my beginnings and I appreciate that.  I only wish these kinds of resources had been available then.

I agree with the good points made by some of the dealer-aware folks above. I don't expect a main-stream archery shop to stock the low-volume stuff a traditional archer wants. Also, I try really hard not to come across like I know more than the shop guy.  Frankly, I'd rather act "stupid" (but ignore bad advice) than come across as the know-it-all that comes in from time to time jusst to joust with the staff.  The rub occurs sometimes when you ask a simple question about some item you are looking for (ex. shield cut feathers, larger throated nocks, or even an aluminum arrow these days) and the shop guy decides I need some education so I can get with the times.

I'm doing more and more of my shopping on-line. I've found many of the sponsors on this site to be well-stocked and very fast shippers and therefore more convenient than driving to 2-3 shops looking for something. I bought a bow string from one of the sponsors. I couldn't believe how low the cost and how quickly it arrived.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Andrew.  You might want to download Stu Millers dynamic spine calculator. It is a very good tool   Dynamic Spine calculator .

I put your numbers in. Since I do not know center cut, string material I just guessed on those the 600 seem better match then the 1816 right off. But I also used a 50g insert in the mix

You will need microsoft excel or if you do not have that you can download a free spreadsheet program at    openoffice.org

The program will help you get in the ballpark with arrow selection.    

Best of luck on your journey.  I was there just a couple of years ago
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
If you get a chance, make a trip over to Sand Lake and Wilderness Dreams.  Tom, the owner, is a fantastic guy, very helpful and  a huge supporter of Michigan traditional archery.

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
I sent you a PM. Try Archery World in Caro - you will be much happier. Don the owner will get you set up and you will be treated with respect.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
i have always found archery shops very weird. it seems no matter where it's located the same guy with the same attitude works behind the counter. if you're not shooting his setup you're a fool who has no chance at any form of success.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
2117 is way to heavy  Maybe he will exchange for an 1816 which could also be a little stiff. Leave them longer and put a heavy point on them. You can always cut them back and/or reduce the weight at the tip.

What happened is they were busy for the hunting season and selling compounds in the $800 range plus accessories and didn't want to waste time with a "trad" shooter who already had a bow and just needed some arrows. No excuse but that's how it goes. I agree that our sponsors always take the time for you and I prefer to talk to them or one of the guys and buy/sell/trade here. Of course, that also makes us unloved at most archery shops.

Sorry for a bad experience. I agree you should let them know.

Sam

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
I guess I don't blame the tech shops for not knowing about or carrying trad equipment.  They are what they are. The owner has apparently made a conscious decision to make a business/living out of catering to the tech compound cross bow masses.  There's no law saying if someone hangs out there shingle as an archery shop they have to support all versions,  especially if it isn't profitable for them.  I suspect an experienced FITA tournament shooter would probably experience similar problems if they walked into a lot of tech or trad only shops and started asking for advice on equipment.  
My point is, you need to shop at retailers that specialize in what you're wanting to buy, to do otherwise is inviting dissappointment.  To me it would be similar to going into the average midwest baitshop and asking them to help set you up with a specialized salt water rig.
That's where the fine sponsors of this web site come in.  As mentioned above,  they specialize in Trad and will go out of their way to get you the proper equipment.
However, sales people being rude and belittling because they don't specialize in your passion,  is never cool.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Sorry about your experience. I have been in that shop myself, it`s about an hour away for me. I will never go back. From what you describe, NOTHING has changed.  

In your opening post, you stated that you were completely new to archery, and this type of experience is made worse by that fact.

Read and re-read rastaman`s post on page one.  :archer2:    :D

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I always carry a setscrew with me. At the appropriate time, I take it out and drop it on the floor (ground), and announce "who lost the setscrew?".  While they are all examining their mechanical bows, I go quietly about my business.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I still think you should get your money back as a matter of principle. Honor is everything.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Really different my bud's shop then.

If they don't know the answer to something, they call a customer/friend with more experience and knowledge and either get the info then, give phone numbers, or set up meetings.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
In a moment of weakness I bought a wheel bow a few months ago. I know I know. Anyway I spent very close to a grand that day, I went in a couple weeks later to get some beaver balls and string wax the shop is 2-3 miles and I wanted to look at the gloves they had in stock. I waited at least 30 min in their small corner reserved for the trad guys. 2 employees sat in a room with glass window facing the shop and watched flecthing dry. I made eye contact at least 5 times during this wait the owner was jawing at the register. I walked over picked up my longbow and arrows and left the shop the manager watched as I left and I think he realized as I was leaving I made a large purchase just a couple weeks earlier. The look on his face was priceless he has a nice range in his shop which I also intended to use that day lost money there too. I did go back one more time with a tee shirt from another shop that is a more trad friendly. He couldn't sell me the newest baddest scope or release or tune the bow again for the third time in a month. I was of no value to him and my compound went on sale that day. Wheel customers are only as good as their next purchase or tune up and its on to next victim. I don't find that with the trad gang, the guys and gals here constantly uplift their competitors and the product they produce.
USMC 82-86

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©