3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What MAKES a traditional shoot?  (Read 548 times)

Offline Joey Doidge

• Trad Bowhunter
What MAKES a traditional shoot?
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Many traditional archers choose not to let their bows collect dust when its not hunting season, the most popular approach to "exercising our limbs" in the off-season is to go to traditional shoots and rendezvous'. But what makes a traditional shoot stand out? Why is the best shoot you go to all year, the best shoot? Whats the thing that keeps you and plenty of others coming back year after year? Their are plenty of things we like, but what are the "must haves" of a successful shoot?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What MAKES a traditional shoot?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
the other people that also come there.

If you don't have fun and comraderie (sp?)then it can't be a great shoot.

I just went to a shoot that had not a single 3d target.  We shot at jugs and stuff suspended in the air by cordage.

There was a lot of mingling and laughing and just fun.

I really think it was the best shoot I have one to.  We really had fun.
ChuckC

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I like ranges that are set up properly. The worst thing is having to wait and wait at every target.
As events grow and more people attend, adapt the layout so waiting can be reduced as much as possible.One recent event had some people miss the cut off time because the wait at each target delayed them too long. Ranges should be set up to avoid the delays if possible, use multiple ranges if required. Group size should be limited to 4-5 at most. Here is the south, when it is 95 and 100% humidity, waiting can be miserable.
I do not like shots across an open field. They are boring to me.
The smaller targets like racoons etc, are not much fun. Some clubs use them because they are cheap, but they are no fun to shoot at. Use the larger targets.
Every event needs a food vendor. Some events have no food, some in parks have a vendor 300 yds away.
Clean and usable restrooms are a must. Some events I have been to have had one porta-pottie for everyone, it was a mess.
Safe shooting set up is also a must. Most events have no problem with this anymore, I saw one guy shot in the neck years ago.
Be on time. Do not advertise a 8am start and not be ready to go until 930am. Be on time or early, some people make other plans for the day.
Have vendors, without vendors it is just another shooting event. Some events require vendors to pay, that is a bad deal. Where would the event be with not vendors? Some day the vendors will get organized and stop attending the events requiring a fee to set up. If that happens, watch the attendance of those events fall like a rock.
My most favorite events are in the mountains, Denton Hill for example. Beautiful setting, nice weather (usually).
John

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Location, targets, organization, some kind of prestiege in one form or another helps.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I think novelty shots and aerials are important.
A well thought-out or reasonable coarse is critical... ideally with minimal chance for arrow loss.  One I attended this year was loaded with long shots up to the crest of a hill with poison ivy behind as far as the eye could see.  I would not go flinging an arrow over a blind hill in a hunting situation, and don't much care for regularly doing it in woods full of people either.  I understand creating high-pressure shots, but there is no fun in this.  The poison ivy was just bonus.

Offline Joey Doidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
But wouldn't you agree that breaking a few arrows makes it fun? HAHA. I for one love the sound of arrows shattering on a steel turkey. Us here in California take pride in the rocks, trees, bushes, and other obstacles we come up with to make it near impossible to hit the kill HAHA.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
Trees and bushes as obstacles are fine, they mimic hunting conditions where the animal doesn't always stand still in a clear shooting lane.
But the targets like steel turkeys or those that have steel cactus placed before and behind them, they should be limited. Preferbly to just one for the course. Some of the shoots I go to have an alternate target with no steel for half points. That's a reasonable alternative for someone who isn't confident enough to risk an expensive arrow.
Other than that, a good trad shoot should have people, vendors, a well thought out and challenging target course set at reasonable distances. Novelty targets are a lot of fun. A big bear 3D at over 100 yds is fun and the club can charge money for shooting at it with the winner for the shoot getting half the pot. A good snack bar is a big plus but don't try to make money at it by scrimping on servings or quality.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Muzzy Stump Shoot...check out the thread.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
The people do. I can deal with all sorts of stuff when with the right group. Seeing friends that I might not have seen for a year and getting to spend several days together doing what we love...nothing better.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Scout hit on a lot of the important logistics.

These are my priorities, whether I'll go or not:
1. Exclusive traditional course. I abhor waiting behind a group of folks who are treating the each shot like an hourly job.
2. Interesting, wooded terrain. I like shots across gullies, up hills, down hills, and interspersed with huge trees.
3. I like the option of paying one fee for competitive and a lower fee just for fun practice.
4. I like a diversity of targets. I don't mind if half are deer but I like to have sheep, elk, caribou, bears, hogs, etc.  I don't mind a few small targets -- every 6th or 7th shot or so -- turkey, javelina, beaver, etc.
5. The vendors are interesting and useful but not what brings me out.
6. I won't be socializing with many folks outside my shooting group, and those folks usually come with. I don't guess then "who's there" is of much interest to me. I certainly have zero interest in "celebrities" who might be on the card unless they are real contributors to our sport. If they are simply photogenic folks who have everything but the shooting done for them, I steer clear -- I'm thinking mainly of some of the "daddy rabbit" and neon-toothed compound crowd as I write this.

I have never shot 3-D in the west.  I think it would be terrific to attend an eventamong mountains and huge deciduous trees!

Frankly, my favorite course these days is my own. It took me a long time to finally put one together.  I'll be taking it down in a couple days as our deer season startes in 6 more days and I won't be using the 3-D range until mid-January -- have to protect those targets from months of weather.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Other then an occasional trip to a more rendezvous type event like Compton's or ETAR, I only go to shoots that offer the option of a competitive round.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
The best trad shoots are the ones that some people show up with their self bows.  It just seems that the atmosphere that attracts them, is an atmosphere that has a relaxed feeling of adventure.

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I have to divide my thinking about shoots into two categories; larger, multi-day events and smaller, local club shoots. These "likes" are based on the shoot being trad only.

1. A challenging course of 20 targets. At larger events, there'd better be at least two courses. At really big events, there should be three or more.
2. Little to no waiting (that means the course isn't jammed with targets too close together). If I wanted to wait, I'd go play golf.
3. Iron Man option - 10 TRASHY presentations for an extra fee, with a prize for the winner.
4. Food option for a small fee - My local club offers lunch for $5 extra per person - all you can eat. Larger events need a food vendor on site.
5. A competetive environment that also caters to the "just for fun" shooters.
6. A little something extra to make folks want to spend all day. For the 2011 season, my club will be doing some continuing education stuff with bow making, string making and repair, etc. to broaden interest and to make people want to drive 2 hours to get to us.
Remember the Alamo!

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I think that it is important that each target be set up with realistic shots. Some shoots think that it is funny to have overly difficult shots. People who miss and break/loose lots of arrows are generally less likely to return.
Dav

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Competition matters NOT to me, I'm not against it, it's just NOT the reason that I attend shoots. For me, the number one thing is the people that are in attendance there. I never have any trouble going to a shoot where I can find someone that I have never met before in my life to shoot with.

Second, for me.......would be the variety and set-up of the targets. I like challenges and appreciate the effort and time that goes into setting up a nice 3D range. I enjoy shooting through,beside.......and in between things at the targets.

The thing that keeps me coming back is the overall comraderie and FUN that can be found at traditional gatherings. Available food, water and some shade to relax in for a while are also nice. Traditional archers for the most part are some of the FINEST individuals on the planet. Their morals and ethics are STILL in the right places. As I said, I'm not against competition but sometimes the "prize" becomes a must have and will cause some "misrepresentations of the truth" to leech into our beloved sport.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
First is the people. Most of the traditional shoots seem to center on fun, with the emphasis on enjoying good fellowship with like-minded people. Secondly a good shoot is characterised by a well laid out out course, with challenging and interesting target placement. I don't like the impossible shots where there is really no adequate way to make a clean hit. I want the shots to resemble those I would actually attempt on a hunt. Good shoots need to have good facilities. The larger definitely need good restrooms and showers with adequate camping areas and also need motels, etc. within reasonable distance. Numerous vendors add much to any gathering. Good food and the availablility of equipment repair/replacement is vital.

I have never been to many different venues where there have been really large numbers of people but 2 medium sized events come to mind as being very enjoyable. Terry Harris at the Howard Hill Southeatern shoot and the Traditional Bowhunters of Florida near Ocala, FL do a good job. Their loactions are well equipped, numerous vendors come, and far and away the best thing is that the people are great. Yes, I am deliberately putting in a plug for my friends.

As regards competition, I love the competitive aspect (unfortunately I am never high on the placement list), but I like just as much the numbers of folks who just come to have fun and never turn in a score card. At the shoots I go to, nobody is critical of either viewpoint.

In short, trad shoots just seem to be more laid back, and fun is the major aim of folks in attendance.
Sam

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
The people make it for me. Good friends and good times.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I have not attended a large event in some years. I will say the last one I did attend was the Traditional Bowhunters of Florida shoot in Ocala Fla. That was absolutely the best trad shoot I ever attended. They had shoots for kids, they had a elk you could pay a couple bucks to shoot at and the closest to the orange spot took half the pot. The elk was about 60 yds about 600 archers attended can add up in a hurry. They had a night shoot, they had a beaver target about 50 yds across a pond just for fun. I think I remember 3 ranges set up that year. Vendors all over the event food and drink restrooms. People sharing bows, stories it was great.

I was living in S.C. at the time. The local shoots here in Ca. cater to the wheel bows for the most part. I just go for the practice and fun. Most shots here are in the 30,60+ yds range with a few 5-20 yd. I attended a shoot at Big Bear mtn. the avg shot for the trad shooter was about 35-45 yds up hill down hill doe in front of buck, bushes hanging in front of deer about a 40 yd shot with the bushes at about 30 yds. Compound shooters 45 yds clear lane. We can only try to have fun.
USMC 82-86

Offline Joey Doidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
S.C. Hunter, I am a trad shooter and a member of the Fresno Field Archers. Their are multiple trad only shoots held each year in California. Three coming up are the traditional archers of California shoot in Pataluma, the Maya shoot in Roseville, and our shoot the Gene Foster Rendezvous. For info on shoots you can visit tbcarchery.com or send me a message.

Joe

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Thanks will have to check it out. I am in Southern Ca. Anaheim. I would have to make a weekend of it for those shoots.
USMC 82-86

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©