3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What MAKES a traditional shoot?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What MAKES a traditional shoot?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
A good friend has been trying to get me to go to the Gene Foster shoot for a few years. This year I think I'll finally be able to make it. Next to the Chamberlin Ranch shoot the Foster shoot is supposed to be top in the state.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Here's what I don't like.  Targets that eat arrows.  Targets on the edge of a swamp, in front of an acre of stickers or poison ivy, etc.  I don't miss a lot, but I do from time to time.  Shoot high or low or just a bad shot altogether.  It's even worse with beginners and kids.  Losing 6 arrows isn't uncommon for my nephew.  That adds up.

If you're going to have targets setup like that, throw some hay bales down or something.  There can be plenty of tough shots without designing them to make arrow recovery hard to impossible.

What I do like are tough shots mixed with easier ones.  Maybe a course for beginners or kids, but not too easy.

Novelty and ariel shots are fun.  Heck, I like shooting at empty soda bottles so 3D targets aren't even required.

When I was a kid I shot a course that my friend's father set up.  Milk jugs and judo points in the woods.  Some jugs staked down and some dangled just an few inches off the ground from a branch, some higher.  Can't say I have ever shot a course that was more fun and with judos we almost never lost arrows.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Joey Doidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Grey Taylor, S.C. Hunter. You should both come up to our shoot. We are looking to raise our numbers and draw from the So Cal and No Cal shooters,and are adding to/revamping the whole shoot to bring them in. I help out at both our shoot and at Chamberlin and both have good qualities you wont find at the any other shoot, both being top of the line. Bring all your friends and have a blast.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joey Doidge:
But wouldn't you agree that breaking a few arrows makes it fun? HAHA. I for one love the sound of arrows shattering on a steel turkey. Us here in California take pride in the rocks, trees, bushes, and other obstacles we come up with to make it near impossible to hit the kill HAHA.
I would leave a shoot that was set up like this.  Losing and breaking arrows is not fun for anyone.  I second the thought that vendors are a must.  I like to look at and have the opportunity to shoot and purchase a bow at an event (cherokee got me for two bows in two years at the OSTA state shoot).  I also like to be able to buy aroows and other things from some of the vendors so I can see what I'm buying and don't have to pay the extra shipping.

Novelties are also a must as well as a shoot for the kids.  Got to have stuff for the whole family.  Plenty of room to camp is a bonus also.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Buckeye Trad Hunter.....will I see you there this coming weekend? I am not going to vendor, just going to shoot.
John

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I'll be there both days.  You're not gonna have any bows to sale are ya?  I some how always seem to find one I like in your tent.    :biglaugh:   Wife may not be so happy this time.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
No bows for sale by me. But jim Gainey will have his new BlackCreek bows there. He has some good ones too!
John

Offline Cirque

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
What keeps me comming back to a trad shoot?
1)Variety (both in targets and terrain)

2)Target set up:  I like a "huntable" shot.  If it's not an ethical hunting shot why would I want that shot at a trad shoot? (Vitals free of debris, does/fawns in line with the shot, unreasonable distance with respect to the animal being shot)

3)novalty shots:  I love a variety.  Pop-up, speed round, running pigs/deer, spinning tables, conveyor belts,...  

3)Zero "Piss you off" targets.  Don't offer a steel target without a chicken out target for less points.  Don't offer a shot that assures a lost or broken arrow if you miss the vital.  Rock shots are fine if the distance is reasonable. Same with shooting between trees.  Every group will have at least one miss EVERY target, the area behind a target should be free of debris that makes it impossible to find arrows.  

A little work on the club's part in setting up targets will make it a faster, safer, more enjoyable shoot

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Hot dogs!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
1.  The people.  If I can't bring my wife and kids without worrying about others behavior, I'm not interested.  Luckily, most of the traditional world takes care of themselves in this respect.

2.  Cleanliness.  I'd rather shoot a 10 target course that's well kept than a 40 target course with trash all over.  Ditto for camping or gathering areas.

3.  A purpose.  I'm more than willign to pay a couple bucks extra or bring a donation for an auction or some such if I know ahead of time that there's a reason.  St. Jude's to local clubs, there's always someone you can help out.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
A good variety of shots with the majority around 20 yards or less.  But throw in the 40 yard big elk/caribou/bison target as long as you have a reasonable chance at finding an arrow if you miss.

I also like the "whacky" targets like the jackalope, tyranasaurus rex, cobra.  These make it interesting for the kids.  I often have my 6 year old daughter with me and it keeps her interested.

Something that I've never seen, but would love to, is an all deer shoot close to hunging season.  That would really tell you how ready your are.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Typo - that should have been "hunting" not "hunging" season.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©