3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NW MO Hunting ???  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
NW MO Hunting ???
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
May have a chance to hunt a farm in the NW corner of Mo. this fall. Am wondering about availabilty and cost of deer tags. Also plan on the end of October beginning of Nov. Will the bucks be moving yet if its cold or would later in Nov. be better.
 Not looking for anyone's honeyhole, just want to know what type of terrain, treestands vs. stalking, general weather at this time of year or any other information that may be helpful.
 Will be in the vicinity of Cameron, Mo. Thanks for any responses.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NW MO Hunting ???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Tom,

Yes bucks are moving at that time usually. Non-resident licenses are fairly in-expensive, around $180 I think, you can kill two deer,a buck and doe or two does, with it and two turkeys. As far as terrain I am not positive but usually some woodlots and brushy fencerows in most of the country north of the Missouri River. Take your pick on how you want to hunt it usually depends on where the deer are and how you want to hunt them.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the input-any other suggestions/ideas?
Thanks for any input, it will all help.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline rh44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
I live and hunt the east side of Kansas city.  Cameron is a little over an hour away.  The time frame you are talking is usually prime time.  Some of the counties around cameron have a point restriction.  Make sure you check the new regulation book when it comes out in July, there is talk of more counties going to point restriction.  .  There is a of farmland in that area.  That part of the start is a lot flatter than the southern part but there are still rolling kills.  As for the tree stand or stalking question, it will all depend on the particular farm you are on.   If there is anything you need help with just give me a holler I would be more than happy to do what I can to help.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/deertuk/eight.htm

That should get ya goin Tom. Yes the bucks will be moving,for my money,the last week in Oct and the first in Nov are the very best time to take a big buck in No Mo. Depending on the lay of the land,a combo of treestands and a stool should do ya,my deer stalking has not produced the results like a treestand,yours may work better.My best two bucks were taken on Oct 20 and 31.I live 60 miles east of Cameron,stop by if ya have time.  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Dang Jason,we said the same thing,but you can type faster!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline rh44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
I forgot to remark about the weather.  Your guess is as good as mine!  I have lived here for 10 years and still havent figured out any pattern yet.  I have hunter open day of rifle season, middle of november, in 85* heat.  The year before I move here the worst snowstorm of the year was in early october. That being said, the mornings SHOULD be cool and frost and than warm up rather nicely in the afternoon.  So basicly you will need warm gear, cold gear, and don't forget the rain gear.

Offline rh44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Kenny, what part of the state do you call home

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
North central,Linneus,the capitol of Linn Co! haha Its on hiway 5 just 9 miles N of US 36,pop 300+ just bout right for me  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Tom, Don't know if you had a chance to look it up yet but the archery non-resident is $120 and that is good for 2 deer and 2 turkeys. Extra doe permits in some areas are only $7 after you buy your regular archery tag. Like the guys said check the regs. for leagal bucks. It's hard to beat the first week of November. our rifle season starts after the second week.
Good hunting,
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Yeah Cameron is on the antler restrictions line,so you'll have to watch...

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/deertuk/two.htm
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I hunt a small farm just north of Cameron. Took 2 does off of it this year.  The Cameron area is a good area and I have seen some bigguns running around, but none close enough for a shot.  

Terrain wise, flat to rolling hills.  I believe if you can find some good sized woodlots you'll be in business.  The place I hunt has more fields and crops than woods, so I stuck to the woods along a creek and saw plenty of deer.  

I know of some public land that is just west of pattonsburg that a friend of mine killed a really nice eight with a rifle and missed a bigger one right before he shot that one.  Good looking public land along the Grand River.  He also took a doe with his wheels there. Anyway this place is worth looking into if your gonna do the public land option.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Many thanks to all! My nephew and I are getting pumped as neither of us have been to MO to hunt but my brother in law grew up there( and is the one who thinks his friend will let us hunt his place.) Keeping my fingers crossed.
 I live in the western part of Va. in the mountains so I know how unpredictable weather can be so we'll be ready for anything.
 Kennym, be careful about invites as I'd like to meet up with any TGer's in the area. Thanks for the DNR link as well.
 Bmoeller, thanks for the heads up on the public land. Nephew Chris has already mentioned some in the vicinity- one other option if the farm doesn't pan out.
 Point restrictions are a plus in my book, does eat fine also!Here in Va. the game people think quantity over quality-at least on public land.I like a full freezer as much as the next guy but nice bucks are few and far between-even if I don't get a shot seeing one or two will be great.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Tom,I'm never outta coffee!
BTW,theres a public area 30-40 miles from Cameron that is archery only on part of it,should be some bruisers in there! One taken outta there by bow 2 or 3 years ago that went 190 typ if I remember right.  :eek:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
That was Poosey State Forest near Chilicothe.  Been through there and looks good.  They have a section of it that is archery only and the rest is anything goes.  Seen a few deer there just driving around.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Yep, BM thats it,we poured the boat ramp when they built the lake and there was a hog of a buck chasin does across the lake at midmorning one day!! I think I saw a map of it on the MDOC website awhile back.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Actually,theres 2 more that I believe are archery only further this way,Fountain Grove and Yellow Creek.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
North central,Linneus,the capitol of Linn Co! haha Its on hiway 5 just 9 miles N of US 36,pop 300+ just bout right for me   :wavey:  
Heck, we're almost neighbors, Kenny!!!!! I am in your neck of da woods, about every 2 weeks!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 06:00:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great info, as usual TGer's come through once again.
 Kenny, may have to take you up on that coffee, sure to be dragging after that drive.
 Will check out those state parks- archery only zones tend towards a little less pressure.

Offline rh44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Here is a link to Scott Fowlers buck take at the Poosey conservation area.  I could find the story but from I remember he was an electrician from Florida doing a job in MO 3 year before he shot the buck.  He was camping at or near Poosey.  Being an avid hunter he brought hi bow and hunted on his down time.  The fisrt year he spotted the buck but never got a shot.  He came back 2 ro 3 more years to chase this same buck.  I gusee persistance does pay off.  Not bad for a public land buck.

fowler buck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©