3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??  (Read 1288 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
just curious what others do. i love wood arrows, everything about them. not a big fan of carbons, yes i do use them becouse of durability and the ease to chance stumping points and broadheads. i got a new Kanati and i have a dozen arrows i wanted to use pretty much matched for it, ceder arrows. they fly good from it and i would be preety sastisfied HOWEVER i tried my carbons through it and they fly PERFECT! i just do not like the looks or feel of carbon but i guess i would be a fool not to use them. anyone else have this problem?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I feel the same. I really don't care for carbons. But they as well as those 2016's are shooting so much better then my woodies?? Think I have to go with alum. this year????
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
I was in this same pickle this summer... I have 2117's I can group in a 2-3" circle, carbons I could group into the vitals of my 3D pig at 30 yds and woodies that always made it into the kill zone, but did not group as tightly as the synthetic materials.  Now, my buddy stood off to the side and watched me shoot each type of arrow from my tree stand and he noticed something significant.  The wood made NO NOISE in flight and FAR LESS NOISE coming off the string.  It was just a slight something and a loud THUMP into the target.  The carbons made a high pitched whistle and had a whoosh from the feathers.  The alums actually rang and 'zinged' all the way down range.  

So, the way I see it is this... I love shooting wood.  They quiet the bow and the shot.  They hit the vitals within a few inches of where I am looking (and sometimes better than my synthetic arrows)... so I am hunting the woodies.  That said, I may take one carbon for a longer shot if mr. big shows up and the shot feels right.  And yes I do believe it is ethical to shoot trad equip past 20 yds IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE and ABLE.  

Best of luck this season!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Folks talk about doing everything possible to make clean kills and showing respect to the game we pursue. To my way of thinking, shooting the best tuned set-up we can put together is a part of that. Looks are for beauty pageants, the woods are for hunting with what works best for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I like and use aluminum arrows. Always have shot well for me and are consistant.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Folks talk about doing everything possible to make clean kills and showing respect to the game we pursue. To my way of thinking, shooting the best tuned set-up we can put together is a part of that. Looks are for beauty pageants, the woods are for hunting with what works best for you.
I do agree with Davids statement here. But I would add that if you are shooting the woods accurately and feel confident that when the string drops that it will be a clean kill, then by all means use the woods if that is your desire. Maybe ther carbons are tuned a touch better. But if your woods are tuned and your setup is good, then use what you have confidence in. I myself shoot carbons, but have(and would again) hunt with woods if I decided to.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
I use what works best!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting woodies that you have confidence in. Just remember a little off when practicing under controlled conditions can translate into a much greater difference when faced with the pressure of hunting shot under less than ideal conditions. Especially if you misjudge distance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Er, I like them all, I tune them so they shoot well. Stu's DSC calculator, paper tuning, bareshaft testing gets me there and that's 9/10th's of the fun.

Shoot what you like, you're the one shooting the arrow.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I go with what fly's the best, and the most consistently with a broad-head out front.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??
[/b]

I'd have to simply say, yes...  I do use what I like because I like what works best for me.  Just happens to be carbons for this guy...  I've used wood and aluminum in the past and taken game with both, but time in and time out I'll put my confidence in the carbon arrow putting it on what I'm looking at.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
I like traditional things. But it is hard to beat carbon shafts. to me they are superior in everyway.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:

I do agree with Davids statement here. But I would add that if you are shooting the woods accurately and feel confident that when the string drops that it will be a clean kill, then by all means use the woods if that is your desire. Maybe ther carbons are tuned a touch better. But if your woods are tuned and your setup is good, then use what you have confidence in. I myself shoot carbons, but have(and would again) hunt with woods if I decided to. [/b]
I agree with both in this, I'm still working on my wood arrow building & maybe next year I'll have it down to where I am confident in my abilities & my finished arrows to take out my Cedars but till then I'll use either my Aluminums or My Carbons because I know when the time comes it is just me not the gear that makes or breaks the shot.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I've never made a choice for any hunting item where "looks" was used in any way as a factor in my decision.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Ken, I have switched to carbons and am happy for many reasons, the main one being the toughness of carbon shafts. 95% of all my shooting is stumpshooting. I am never afraid to take ANY shot with my 55/75 GT's and this has made me a better shooter. I will take any shot, anywhere, anytime, at any object,without fear. So now I can do real practice in the woods.
Tom

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Carbons, they are what works best for me.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I've never shot carbons; however, in this case, where you already have both sets of arrows, and one set is working better than the other, I think it's pretty much a no-brainer!
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I like what I shoot and I shoot what I like well so I guess I am a yes/yes answer.  I like wood arrows and real turkey feather fletching, it feels right to me and I tinker with them till I get satisfactory groups. Im sure I could get good groups using carbon or aluminum or ACCs, Ive used them all and all have advantages and disadvantages.  I do owe it to the game I hunt to be proficient and accomplish clean and quickly lethal shots but that being said if thats all I wanted to accomplish I was straight deadly with my compound.  I use woodies because I like them and I can put the arrow where I want it within my comfortable range, nuff said.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
I like what works best.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
You can make any arrow fly as well as any other if with a little understanding and work. It is a lot more work with wood arrows but for me making my arrows and making them shoot well is part of the whole archery experience. I shoot cane and hardwood shoot arrows and can spend many hours making and setting one up. I make them one at a time. I can make enough good shooting arrows from these materials between the end of one hunting season until the beginning of the next one to get me through the season. Then I start over on next years arrows. I use these same arrows to shoot 3D in the off season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©