3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??  (Read 1289 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Vermontster. . .   I agree  to a point.  Only to a point.  

If all I was concerned about was the cleanest, surest, faster kill I would put down the bow and use a .270.   period.  

There is a bunch more involved.

A sharp arrow in the vitals is a dead deer, don't matter if the group in 2" or 9".... dead.

Looks and feelings and personal satisfaction are a very large part in my choice of what arrow, what broadhead, what color fletch, what bow, what camo (or plaid) I will be wearing.  

That's my thoughts anyway.
ChuckC

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I have had the same experience as a earlier post mentioned. I shoot my wood arrows very consistantly and usually in the kill zone. I do this even with arrows that are less than straight, practice that is not for hunting. I use only good straight arrows if hunting. I shoot GT 5575 @ 29.5" with 50 grain inserts and 175 grain tips 3 5" feathers helical. The carbons are very tough and consistant but I love wood and still shoot wood often. I had a friend also stand behind a tree about half way to a target 25 yds away and shot carbon and wood arrows. He said that he could hardly hear the bow and the arrow was basically on target before he heard it, that was wood. With the carbons he said the bow was almost as quiet but the noise from the arrow was detected sooner. I group wood more consistant myself don't know why? They both weigh about 535 grains.
USMC 82-86

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
hey Bro i use what works best out of my royal crown and out of the selfbow i use woods  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I decide what I want to use then make it work...if your choosen arrow material is spined wrong then change points or get another size till you find what works.I had a set of 75-80 surewoods that wasn't quite right so I bult a set of 80-85's and they are great.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Wood, primarily cedar, works best for me.  Been using it for about 50 years.   :deadhorse:

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
I try to tune what I like but ultimatly I use what shoots the best.

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
After lots of experimenting and going thru many different woods, I've settled on douglas fir. Heavier than cedar,just as straight, and maybe more importantly, they stay straight in all kinds of weather, hot, cold, wet and are tough - altho you can destroy any wood arrow! And my brother is an excellent arrowsmith! Carbons, I'm sure are more consistent, but to me just aren't visually appealing. My two cents worth.
Terry

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I love shooting my own woodies. End of story for me.  :archer2:  I shoot carbons at the Techno  hunt only.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
I use what I love and works best......and that's wood. Experimented with carbon and aluminum but I can make wood fly oh so sweet!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Shoot what works for you. This statement by Ken says it all to me.

"HOWEVER i tried my carbons through it and they fly PERFECT!"

To shoot wood for aesthetic reasons makes no sense to me. If you can tune them to fly "PERFECT" then they are the way to go.

I have carbons, aluminums, ACCS and woodies so I shoot what ever flies best from each bow personally.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Aluminums are so consistant I have learned to like them.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Now THAT's a stupid question Kenny!!!

You know me, If they've still got feathers..... They FLY!!!!!  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I have used carbons up untill the last 2 years, just because I didn't know any better.  Not only have I made the switch to all woodies, I'm even making my own shafts as of this afternoon from square stock.  I probably said it a half dozen times this weekend, while stup shooting at a friends cottage, "that's alright, I can make more" after I bounced one off a tree, and either snapped the point end, or cracked the shaft.  And you cannot beat the smell of fresh broke cedar.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
For my stick ,cain ,cherry and oak home made . for the recurves carbon.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
How did I miss this?

Ken, I've got both cedars and carbons for ya'. If the carbons give you better flight, use 'em. I love wood, but if I had a set of carbons that flew better than my Surewoods, I'd use 'em. It may not be much of a difference, but it could make a world of difference out in the field.
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Hopefully the answer to this question is "One and the same" what shoots the best is also what you like.
With that said, my carbons are faster but my cedars are more accurate and like a few others have already mentioned.....they are extremely quiet. My dad was watching me shoot and with carbons he could hear the resonance of the shaft all the way to the target, with the woodies he only heard it thump the target. My woodies shoot absolutely awesome now that I found my correct spine and they definitely have sound dampening properties like no other material......so even though they are slower...I'm going with wood this season!
It's not like an extra 20 fps is going to make any difference anyway, and my 500+ grain woodies thump my 3D target with authority! Lot's of KE lumbering along with these broom handles!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Aluminum arrows for me. I love their straightness and their consisency of weight between each arrow shaft before I transform the shaft into an arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Reynold Greenleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I agree with ChuckC's comment from a few days ago.

The alternative to "what works best" in the subject line was not "what LOOKS best," but rather "what you LIKE."  To me, if the ONLY thing I was concerned about was maximizing efficiency in putting meat on the table, I would skip hunting altogether and head for the grocery store.

I like and use wood arrows.  I have no idea whether carbon or aluminum might perform slightly better for me; I am just not interested.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I've been making Cedar and Aluminum for so long and have so many I have no need for anything else.all the years of experimenting and shooting and my knowledge of these two is great for me.With all the new wraps etc I can dress em to suite anything.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
As others have said, whatever works. I think Vermonster nailed it back in the first few posts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©