3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??  (Read 1290 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows, do you use what you like or what WORKS the best??
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrpenguin:
so I am hunting the woodies.  
Best of luck this season!
And... I correct myself.  After much toil and trouble, I have found that my bow really like the 2117's with my broadhead of choice, the Red Feather Archery Phoenix (single bevel 3 blade made by a sponsor here!).  That said I have a new set of chundoos that are flying nicely too.  Finally, I plugged them into Stu's and got a almost perfect match with the 2117's... I WILL have some wood in the quiver, and I will knock the arrow I feel confident in for that hunt.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
Shoot what works for you. This statement by Ken says it all to me.

"HOWEVER i tried my carbons through it and they fly PERFECT!"

To shoot wood for aesthetic reasons makes no sense to me. If you can tune them to fly "PERFECT" then they are the way to go.

I have carbons, aluminums, ACCS and woodies so I shoot what ever flies best from each bow personally.
[/QUOTE ]My sentiments exactly (especially now).  I love wood, but aluminum and carbon just works a little better for me.  That said the wood is well in the kill zone with as much consistency as the composite materials...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
I shot alums for years and swiched to carbons about a year ago after talking to someone older and wiser than I.

He suggested to me, and it is completly true in my opinion, that for all the years I was shooting alums and had one fly wierd or miss its mark, it was always in the back of my mind, could the arrow be bent after that stump I shot at a few shots ago? Those kinds of thoughts of coarse were just 1 more thing that might weigh in on my confidence in my next shot.

More often than not after coming home after a practice session and rolling my aluminum arrows across a counter corner, one would have a slight bend.

That will not happen to a carbon, either it is shattered or it is straight, just one more variable you don't have to worry about when shooting carbons. I'll never go back for that reason alone. DK.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
David, you nailed the beauty of carbon arrows right on the head. I couldn't have said it better, and that's why that's all I shoot in my "Other" bow, the fact that they are always straight and fast.

But, I have learned to like woodies because they are very quiet and maybe I just like the traditional look for my longbow and recurve?

On a side note, I just came back in from my garage testing some different spine weights in my longbow and I'm either fighting with spine issues or fletching contact?
The fletching contact seems like a non issue now because my woodies are whipping, but the carbons are straight as they can get? Problem is, the woodie is spined correctly for the poundage of 45# @26" and the carbons are spined for 65#....what gives? So now I'm trying a full spine cedar shaft without taking any spine off of it and see what that does.
If I can't get this worked out soon, I may be shooting carbons out of my longbow for crying out loud!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
My vote is for what works best;I like wood but carbon is hard to beat

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I have become very good at finding and making arrows that match my bow, so no I do not have a problem. I can shoot woodies or carbons as I can get either to fly perfect out of my chosen bow! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Carbons for cast (great for long 3-D shots), metal for consistency (unbeatable tunability), woods for the woods.  If the spirit of bowhunting tradition is what's most important to the hunter then wood is clearly king.  Killing efficiency?  With tuned arrows and CLOSE shots there's no difference between materials...and if anything wood may just be a tad better (see comments on reduced noise in above posts).

I like the fact that when I hunt with woodies they make me think about getting 'more close', about being more patient, about reflecting more on the 'why' of bowhunting vs. the killing part.  Wood is to bowhunting as Santa is to Christmas...it may be 'corny' but it keeps you grounded in the spirit of the occasion.  We could use more of that these days.

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Sometimes wood, and sometimes carbon and aluminum. Its according what mood  Im in.

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I've tried cedars(woodies), and carbons in all my bows and it seems for me, that my older recurves all shoot cedars the best. But my Predator Classic, on the otherhand, seems to favor the carbons.
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Ken : I keep going back to try wood but always end up back at carbon. I shoot the beman mfx classics that look like wood . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
play around with differnt woodies and you will find that you can get the same results as the carbons.wood is not as durable,but you said they are still hitting the kill zone.i have both.i like my cedars way more.good luck this season,steve

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Good one, TSP.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I like carbons, and that's what I shoot.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
Wood is to bowhunting as Santa is to Christmas...
You mean something made up that has little to do with the real meaning? Good call TSP.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
I started with aluminum went to carbons for awhile and am back to aluminum.  I think they just work better for me.  

The one exception is stumping.  I haven't found anything better than my bomb proof arrow (footed carbon).

My answer is what works best for me.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I like them all, but still find aluminiums to be the easiest to tune.  I think alot of beginners could save themselves alot of headaches if they started with aluminum.  Carbons are great once you lean how to tune them, but they can be difficult for a person not used to doing this.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
If Sweetland Forgewoods were still in production I would shoot nothing else. I do have 3 doz stashed. But I shoot AD Trad carbons mostly now.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Nice one SteveB, so now you hate traditional archery AND wood arrows AND Santa Clause.  What's next, the Easter Bunny and Howard Hill?  Help for StevieB, please, he has a complex and he can't get up.      :laughing:

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
No thanks on carbon ...I have made my wood arrows for many many years and will stay with then...Is carbon or aluminium better, perhaps. it simply seems the right match to me, wood arrows with the wood bow.   :archer:
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Santa Clause was fun when I was a subteen - pretty sure Christmas was about someone's birthday - at least originally and still is for many. Santa doesn't define Christmas.

Wood arrows are a part of "traditional archery", but do not define it either.

Toniii - please let me in on what "complex" you have diagnosed me with. I do admit being a little concerned having you fixate on what whether I can get up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©