3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What you would like to see in a Traditional Video?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
What you would like to see in a Traditional Video?
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Maybe you would like to see more instruction, youth, 3d shooting. Give me some ideas. I am trying to put something together. Just need more ideas. Thanks for your time, Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What you would like to see in a Traditional Video?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Do a traditional 101 Ed. Show how to properly tune arrows with a couple of different methods. Explain what the different terminologies mean and show how to do things like changing brace height, adjusting nock point/tied on nocks, etc. A search to find what the most common questions asked here and in the shooters forum would give you a good reference on what's needed. A lot of new blood coming in and quite a few folks are better visual learners than written word learners.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
I'd like to know see what the most stable positions to shoot are, when not standing straight. Best ways to properly kneel, squat, even lay down and still shoot. Marco

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
I'd like to some goomer with a wheelbarrow full of gadgets and gizmos look into the camera with a goofy look on his face and his arms and compound thingy held over his head like he just won the world heavyweight title saying "give me second folks" , "Dontcha love it when a plan comes together " or "I just smoked the XYZ buck "

:bigsmyl:

Oh wait a minute ......... thats 99.999% of the videos on TV !!!!! ............ LOL
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Well besides myself with a huge buck I just harvested, I guess I like to see the set up, arrow flight and impact and the tracking job.  

I guess I like to see info on how to be a better ground hunter.  Also, just basic hunting stuff, not all the hype on the best camo etc.  Scouting info and shooting info, then have it all come together on a filmed hunt.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
trad hunting or instructional video?

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Keep it coming fella's some great input!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
How would feel about Bowyer interviews. I plan on doing this with out title sponsers, so include different bowyers. Maybe hunt and video some fellow TradGang members and get their take on set-up and hunting tactics. Be very educational and fun. Ed

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
My favorite already exists. "Traditional Archery by Tim Strickland".  This guy is a 40-year archery veteran, still holds NFAA records, coached multiple Americans to Olympic medals, and has a traditional hunting show.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Tim Stickland is truely a Archery Legend. Very well versed in all archery. Ed

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
I'd LOVE to see a video of guys just having fun with their bows. Granted you are gonna have some basic instruction in there about set ups, safety, shooting tips..... But mostly just plain fun!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...

* P.S. I know of a place were you would be welcome shooting some parts this video... I'll send you a PM about it.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
The traditional video I'd buy next would be of folks hunting with this equipment.  I know there are some of this out there and I need to start buying them.  

Of course my favorite traditional video would feature sommeone who looked a lot like me with a very tired grin and straining to lift the head of a bow-killed Bighorn ram!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Follow some of the ol Fred Bear formats.  

Show some woodsmanship,  some critters, some nature.  Try to get us to feel the scene and the moment, not just  seconds before the big deer comes in.

Take a bit of Fred Anderson's Reflections video and expand.  Maybe not quite the humor, but definately the serenity.

A bit of the videography of Primal Dreams.

Anyway,  that's what Id like to see.  Honestly. .  I don't care if you even get anything on video.
ChuckC

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I would like to see a video that really teaches me how to hunt and is realistic.  Instructions on bow set up, gear set up, tree stand safety and placement, shot placement, lots of trailing instruction.  and last but certainly not least.  how to butcher, preserve and prepare the spoils.

It seems like a lot of people would learn from this type of video.  I meant all we see are kill shots and recovery shots.  

Just my two cents.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
I love over the shoulder camera angles so you can see the arrow released, flying and hitting the target.

I guess it would be hard to put everything in one DVD but I would like to see at least one hunt from start to finish.  Start with scouting and end with grilling.  :)

Maybe start with an ariel photo of the site.  Then ground shots.  Picking a spot for a ground blind or finding a natural one, etc.

Then the hunt (with over the shoulder angle), tracking, dressing, butchering and eating.

Here is why.  Most videos are from up in a tree.  One camera on the shooter and one on the deer (or whatever).  You see the draw then cut to impact.  You miss the best part... the flight of the arrow.

Also, a lot of guys show locations and talk about funnels and pinch points, etc, but they never really explain that "deer are bedding here and corn is over there... there's a cow fence that runs along this line and a stream here so we're going to setup in such and such a place".  I think a lot of new hunters will appreciate the step by step and even guys who have done it a thousand times will like seeing more than just a deer walking in toward a tree stand and then running off after the shot.

Or maybe I just haven't watched the right DVDs.

I would add tips like others suggested.  Setups, tuning, etc.

And fun hunts.  Bowfishing, frogs, rabbits, hogs, geese, squirrels, predators... I think we've all seen enough deer hunts (except like I described above).
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I would like to see Howard Hill and John Schulz out doing some rabbit hunting and stump shooting.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Camp life!!! No fancy 5 star lodges, although I do like em. Im talking back woods camps and showing the cameraderie and comings and goings of a real down to earth trad bowhunting camp and the hunts the way they happen from the camp in real life.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Definitely the flight of the arrow. Plus would like to see the different bows and set ups the hunters use and why they use the particular bow/set up.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Camp life!!! No fancy 5 star lodges, although I do like em. Im talking back woods camps and showing the cameraderie and comings and goings of a real down to earth trad bowhunting camp and the hunts the way they happen from the camp in real life.
Ed You are welcome in our new ADK camp.  We can take turns filming and shooting.

You have a chance at Deer, Bears and small game. Not to mention a primitive shelter and a good crew of guys.  Cooking over a  campfire and telling stories.

That's the kind of stuff I like.  Ground hogs, Frogs, Squirrels, Rabbits, all would make a nice change also.  

Good Luck Ed!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
=QUOTE] Camp life!!! No fancy 5 star lodges, although I do like em. Im talking back woods camps and showing the cameraderie and comings and goings of a real down to earth trad bowhunting camp and the hunts the way they happen from the camp in real life. [/QUOTE]

I agree to camp life.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©