3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What you would like to see in a Traditional Video?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What you would like to see in a Traditional Video?
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
How about a reality show   :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Lot's of good ideas.  I would like to see more of the "whole picture" meaning showing things like scounting during the offseason, etc.  Like mentioned above, I like hunts that average guys can do.  Squirell hunts are great on film!  I am still amazed at the number of people who do not hunt squirells with their bows.  It's great fun and you don't need alot of money for a lease to do it. Hunt's on public lands are great, since many people must hunt these areas.
   I also like to see different tacticts employed for whitetails.  Opinions vary on the subject of "deer drives" with bows, but we do it all the time.  We cannot shoot running deer, but we still get shots at deer that are at a walk or those that have paused for a second or two.  Watching it on film is fun!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Get in shape and give me a call and we'll get some mtn goat footage!!

The WHOLE hunt process, not just all close ups and kill shots.  No food plots or southern drawls, no high-5's, ZERO tolerance for mentioning brand names.

Bowyer interviews, yawn......

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
A kid , his dad, pawpaw and some friends( young and older) setting around a campfire telling stories of the old times.
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I enjoy the videos where there is little or no talking while the hunt is on. Maybe a calm voice-over to set the segment up or say where the hunt is taking place. I honestly don't see how all these TV guys ever kill anything while trying to stage whisper to the camera.

I have had some experience with video production. I can't stand segments that add in B-roll (we used to call it BS-roll). No shots where the camera is placed across from the deer and the hunter wanders up and acts suprised to find it. No shot of the arrow flight then 3 angles of  the hunter taking the shot. No shots of a down animal without the real footage of the hunter loosing the arrow. No quick cut-aways to "build drama and create suspense" Just a guy, gal or kid trying to hit a target, stump or animal and what it took to get in and out. Pure toned semi-classical or gutiar instrumental for background music. No rock and roll, no techno-crap.

If anyone is excited about "smoking" a deer it better be footage of mealtime. Stands are ok, blinds are ok, ghillie suits would be cool. Small game, turkeys, big game...stumps! Wood arrows, alum. arrows, carbon arrows. No geewhiz mechanical anything. Kill something barefooted and I will give it four stars.

Don't want much.. do I?

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
Why do hunting shows almost always have annoying loud music to cover up the natural sounds.  When that big buck came close last year, maybe if there was some loud annoying music to mess with my head, he would have gotten in under 30 yards so I could have taken a shot, just like a TV hero.  They could start by simply getting real, enough with the BS and brain games.  I don't listen to hard rock or rockabilly on my way out hunting, it is the last thing I want in my head.

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I would like them to explain why they chose their set-ups (bow, arrows, broadheads, clothing, etc.) and the tuning of bows. As for the hunting, I would like it to be more instructional; stalking, ambushing, how to chose hunting areas, and where and how set-up ground blinds would be great. I'm tired of seeing someone sitting in a tree overlooking a trail that goes from a bedding area to a feed field. A deer walks by and the hunter shoots it. The hunter is then excited as to having a rewarding and successful hunt. Hunting videos should be more of the "pursuit of game."

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
I would like to see something the average hunter could do. Whitetails from the start to finish meaning scouting why a stand is put where ,the shot and bloodtrail. Small game hunting , Turkeys and pigs.Maybe a hunt with a canoe...A group of Buddies camping / hunting.
  Maybe an interveiw with some "critter killers" about why they shoot what they do, How they get it tuned,shooting tips from them,hunting tips as well.Blood trailing tips....The average hunter with any weapon I know does`nt do well on a blood trail at all and skills there alone would probably give them 20% more recovered game.RC

Offline RedHeadKingPin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I agree PAVAN....I HATE the music.  I want to hear the wind blowing, the leaves rustlin....I have an iPod if I want to hear music.

I would like to see scouting and wide-angle of hunting spot with detailed explanation of why stand or blind spot was chosen.

Start to finish hunts would be cool as well.  Ground hunts are something I'm interested in.

Off the subject, but I went to BuckMasters here in Montgomery this year and the ONLY trad bow in the whole place was holding a quiver that was for sale....
"Take you kids hunting or you will end up hunting for your kids."
Ted Nugent - God, Guns, & Rock 'N' Roll

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I like the videos that truly look home-made, just like a guy like me might throw together.

When Bowhunter TV (Prime Media) did a segment on the Black Widow clinics the cameraman told me that camera cost $25,000....you have to ask "where in the world is this going".

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Make sure you include all the standards.  There's a buck, its a shooter/ He's down, He's down/ That's what I'm talkin about/ It doesn't get any better than this/ That ______ broadhead put the smackdown on him and don't forget There's no ground shrinkage here.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
No Music. None. It doesn't belong in the woods.

Hunt from the ground once in awhile.

Only take reasonable shots at the first decent animal within range. You can hunt horns, or you can hunt animals."Trophy" and hunting, don't go together.

No Stupid "High Fives" and giggle fest after the shot. Show some respect for the animal.

Don't blow about this bow, or that Scent, or a special camo pattern, yada, yada

I guess that's why I don't watch them.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
IMHO music is fine.

I HATE the redneck nonsense and nephew got a guitar and is forming a rock band garbage.

I want creativity/artistic stuff. Seen pretty poor attempts at it recently on some VS shows- amounting to nothing more than a repeated clumbsy camera movement before focusing on the hosts.

Laughable at best.

Do understand that sponsors pay the bills but IMHO it has gone past ridiculous, what is considered by most in camo to be "entertainment".

Only video I think I've seen worth a hoot in the last 2 yrs is "Full Circle". Not perfect but different enough to be of watchable merit.

The dude running much of the camera was an art dude, so frosty grass, birds etc.......are done nicely, give a nice overall feeling.

Pleasant.

I think that missing in much of video these days (not just in hunting commercials).
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
FWIW I get rather focused listening to Type O Negative rather loudly on the way to my hunting spots in the dark morning.

Love it.

Can't see heading to the fall woods without "October Rust" playing.

The "death" stuff helps get a little amped too.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
I remember talking about this a little bit in camp this past week.  It gave me a little time to think about it.  I remember the old videos from the late '80's and very early '90's, such as October Whitail's 1 & 2.  They all seemed to be instructional.  Set up each hunt, each tactic.  Tell why you set up where you did, when was the best time to sit that stand, and why.  Maybe include early, mid and late seasons, and the differences in tactics.  Maybe film a kid taking their first animal with a stickbow, from start to finish. also explaining safety tips.

this may also be stretching it a bit, but, how about the differences in the different parts of the country.  If its whitetails, go through the differences in the north east, mid Atlantic, south east, mid west, south and so on.

Good Luck
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Yep, no music, please. And, I rather think that a film with heaps of assorted Alaskan tradbowhunting action would be great!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Steve Gorr does it right...!  Watch and own Bowhunting Reflections if you can.  In my opinion better than PD and that is a bold statement... LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Ground hunting using natural blinds and gullies. camping talking about why they used the techneques they chose and hunt preperation

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Got some great ideas folks,keep them coming!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Elk River Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Put in some of the blood trailing, showing the care with which one must take to make sure they find the animal. Guess nothin' is for sure, but I'm sure you get my drift,Big Ed... I don't think there is enough emphasis put on the art of following a blood trail.
Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©