3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did a educational presentation/ cookout at school the other day.  (Read 130 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
I work for the Dept. of Juvenile Justice here in Ky, at a group home. Our kids got to an alterantive school, with community youth that are borderline being incarcerated, Day Treatment, with strict expectations both behaviorally and academically. They focus on positive new activities for our youth and the community youth to try,as an alternative to negative unacceptable ones. Last week they had been showing a video called Food Inc., showing how unhealthy and manipaulated fast food, and our food in general is, which was a real eye opener for everyone! The next day I brought int he videos Primal Dreams, and The Journey Begins and the youth all watched these with interest. About half of them seemed to get the message, and severl opined that if someone had did stuff like that with me, I wouldnt be here now. I also discussed with them that hunters, and special exices taxes they pay on equipment, via the Pittman/Robertson act, pay for wild game restoration and fish and wildlife officals, how hunters are responsible for the game and management thereof. One of the teachers, anti hunter, googled this during the presentation, didnt beleive me, untill she read it in black and white, DUUUH!.As a special treat, I had slow roasted 2 deer backstraps, and most of a ham with a dry rub. I cut this into Fajita strips, stir fryed some peppers and onions from my garden, with rice and sesoning, made them all a huge Fajita. My garden was mostyly organic, the deer sure were. Even one of the anti hunting teachers ate 2 of the fajitas and was suprised at how good it was. Since I dont have to buy deer tags on the farm, and process the deer myself, the cost was very minimal. I also asked them how much money do you think you could save in a year without buying any hamburger, steaks, stew meat, as the wife and I dont, only eat deer, fish and chicken. I asked the youth to each figure up and estimate the total cost  to feed 24 kids and 10 adults a nutricious, tasty meal. For the rice, tortillas, cheese and all, it cost less than $12. I cant say I changed the minds of everyone, but, sure helped several of them look at hunting a little different. And the anti hunter teacher, ended up being pretty open minded, ate more deer than anyone else there. Just thought I would share.
samuel koger

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did a educational presentation/ cookout at school the other day.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Way to go Sam!
Molon labe

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did a educational presentation/ cookout at school the other day.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Good Job!!! And Thanks  :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©