3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help... US resident hunting whitetails in Alberta  (Read 333 times)

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
Help... US resident hunting whitetails in Alberta
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I live in Montana and one of my employees has family with a huge farm near Lethbridge Alberta.  I am wondering about the process of putting in next year for a license to hunt whitetails?  Do I have to hire an outfitter as in other parts of Canada?  The website with the regs was clear a mud! WIN number?  Hassles at the border?  Importing meat or trophies?
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help... US resident hunting whitetails in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
My brother lives in Edmonton, Alberta.  The last time I looked at the regulations if not from Canada you are considered an "Alien" hunter. All Aliens have to hire the services of an outfitter or guide. It's an economic stimulus strategy.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
WIN "Wildlife Identity Number" the number identifies the holder as to what licenses and tags one can legally purchase,etc.

Exporting of meat. A permit is required to remove a carcass from the province. Easily obtainable from any Fish and Wildlife office (These are listed in the hunting regulations synopsis)

As an "alien" you require a licensed guide, or a resident "guide" who puts you on his/her license as a "guest hunter."

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
RW answered some of your questions.If you where to go to the main forums and go down to the Alberta Traditional Ass. and ask there you may get all kinds of answers.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Online Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
The easiest way is to get a member of the family or a friend who is a resident to get a hunter - host license. Cost is $25.00. The paperwork needs to be completed by the end of August for the fall, end of April for a spring (bear) hunt. You can apply on line for your WIN number at  www.albertarelm.com
WIN #'s are good for 5 years.
The only questions I have had at the border deal with the head and antlers, and that is due to BSE and CWD in the brain matter. No issues with the meat so far as long as you have a license for it. A phone call to the Fish and Wildlife Office in Lethbridge should answer any other questions you have. As far as drawing for whitetail or mule deer, buy the tags across the counter for archery season, mule deer are on draw for the rifle season and usually take 2-5 years for a tag depending on the zone. You can bowhunt the rifle season if you have the draw tag.
Where abouts from Lethbridge? We have a few ATBA members down there, somebody will help you out.
Terry

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the good info guys.  I believe it is west of Lethbridge on the Old Man River.  She says they have big whitetails.   I hunt whitetails hard instate so it may be tough to leave.  But... it definately is of interest and worth checking into.  I think I'll head that way next summer to fish and scout a bit.   Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©