3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you wool-wearers  (Read 763 times)

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for you wool-wearers
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I picked up a nice tightly woven wool pullover sweater at a local thrift store. I've never hunted in wool before, but couldn't turn it down for the price. It's even kinda-sorta camo colored, green with black speckles.
  Anyway, I was wondering how you de-scent your wool. All my other camo gets thrown in the washer(no soap) and rinsed with baking soda, then hung outside to dry. Do you just spray down with scent killer, or just not worry about it? I kinda plan on using it as a mid-layer more than anything. Thanks!
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you wool-wearers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
My wife washes my wool sweaters in the washing machine with cold water and gentle cycle then hangs them to dry.  So far so good.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
I don't worry about it.  I'd rather smell than ruin a good wool garment.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Well, basically, I was my wool in the washer on gentle cycle, with unscentd shampoo, I figured wool is basically hair, and shampoo is gentle.  So wash warm or cold, whatever, jsut gentle cycle, and dry  flat on a towl on the floor or line dry.  Ileave on line under my porch for the rest of the season.  I may use scent killer if I have a worry, but really just leave on porch and all is good.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Wool doesn't retain human odors like a lot of other materials.  I hand wash mine every couple of years in cold water.  Block to dry.  In short, unless it's picked up some odors from being in storage, in the store, etc., you probably won't have to do anything to it for a couple of years.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Same as Pac,but I'm real cautious about Wahing wool.Keep the wind right and don't worry about it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
1kwiwstik, I wash my wool in cold water and baking soda and line dry. Just to be on the safe side-does your sweater have any washing instructions on the inside of the label? Some wool requires dry cleaning and machine washing probablty won't work out too good.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I don't understand why you would ruin your wool if you washed it in a washer on gentle cycle in cold water. If it starts pooring out should I run to the car so my wool doesn't shrink or fall apart. And wool definately absorbs oders wonderfully. Ask any canine trapper whats top on his list to hold scent down a dirt hole set.
GLENN

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I knew wool would shrink in the washer, actually, this sweater is labeled XL, but when I pulled it off the rack, I could tell it had already been shrunk some. More like a medium, which is what I wear. Maybe that's why the weave seems to be so tight?
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Coonbait, I do not know the answer to your question. My wool King of the Mountain wool machine washable. The couple Pendleton shirts are dry clean only. The weave is alot different between the 2 garments-maybe that has something to do with it?
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
hang it out and let mother nature wash and dry it
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Hey Brian,

I have several wool sweaters that I hand wash in luke warm water using unscented hunting clothes soap. I make sure I rinse the sweaters really good. Then I roll them up tight in a dry towel to get most of the water out. Finally, I drape them over a drying rack to finish-up.

I keep all my hunting clothes in big plastic tubs with a tight lid (I got them at Wal-Mart) along with a couple of the little scent wafers. I prefer the soil flavor. They prevent other odors and give all my clothes a cover scent.

This works good for me.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
As stated wool doesn't hold odor.

Two things ruin wool when cleaning it. Excess agitation and thermal shock. Hot to cold, cold to hot. Use lukewarm/room temp water, wash by hand or gentle cycle, block dry and your wool will last.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Hand wash gently in Woolite, cool water, then layout on towels, then to cloths rack supported at several points.  It might shrink a bit, it will then morph to your own unique shape.

Kris

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I  will fill my wash tub with warm water and some soap for hunters laundry(sports wash). I will soak and gently scrub the garment with my hands. After I feel it is clean I will rinse well and spin out the water in my washing machine. Then I will re-shape by hand(stretch) and hang outside to dry. Hot water,soap and agitation are what will shrink your wool. Good luck and enjoy your new sweater, it sounds just right for bow hunting. I will bet you will find some more bargins soon. Wool is made for hunting.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Chuck, So the Pendleton shirts I have that I believe are made from wool whipcord are OK to hand wash, stretch and hang dry?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I just mentioned this on another post, Ozone generators will get rid of any smell. Ozone will also kill everything like bacteria, including us if it is strong enough. In other words you don't have to wash it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Stick some lumps of dry pinyon sap in the pockets.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I wash my Filson vests, LL Bean merino longjohns, LL Bean shirt jack and wool pants and various sweaters in the washing mashine on cold and hang them from the rafter to dry.They dry very fast and no noticeable shrinkage as far as I can see. As mentioned it doesnt pick up or retain odors like cotton or synthetics do so you dont have to wash it after every use.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Denny,I have never washed that type of shirt. I have washed every piece of wool that I own with no bad results. I have one sweater and one hat that I cannot use anylonger because I put them in the washing machine and forgot about them. They are quite small now. After that mishap, I started with the hand washing and have had no problems. SO, My thoughts are that you will be fine to wash you wipcord shirt by hand.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©