3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you wool-wearers  (Read 764 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you wool-wearers
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
  hang it out and let mother nature wash and dry it  
What bob said then spray it with scent killer.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Dry clean, then hang out in the fresh air, and then store in a sealable container with some leaves. Or you could just hunt near a sheep farm. To me wool just smells like wool.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I don't do anything to my wool.  Just hang it outside.  As far as someone questioning why it doesn't shrink when it gets wet in the rain.  Easy.  You are wearing it and moving.  That keeps it stretched out.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I agree with stone Knife. I hang them out on the line or over a cedar and let mother nature desmell them. Then i spray them with sent killer at the start of season. Then take them off as soon as I come out of the woods and then refresh every couple of week depending on how often I get a chance to get into the woods. Still I hunt with the wind in my favor and it all works out.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Speaking as a historical reenactor who has spent many hot summer weekends in woolen garments, I can attest to the fact that wool does indeed get stinky.  Laundering is fine if you are very careful about the previously mentioned temp and agitation.  If you have the misfortune to have a washer that likes to grab ahold of loose things like mine, sweaters and loose weave items are a gamble and should probably be hand washed.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
same as orion   i hand wash if needed every couple years and blot dry. its sleeping indian wool  and they really stress not to wash it.. that was one of the fallings out between him and KOM . KOM was telling everyone it was ok to wash it, and it would tighten up the weave (shrink) I had a cheaper cabelas wool jacket that i washed, it shrunk like crazy and smelled like a wet dog.... i wouldnt trust a good wool garmet to a washing machine !!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I wash my KOM whool stuffs and they become softer after every cycle.The secret is to use cold water and dry them flat outside.
In Europe during the winter we use a lot of whool sweaters and we wash them many times every season without any issue,just the proper care.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
I have washed my KOM many times in the 23 yrs. I have owned it and it has never shrunk. KOM is pre-shrunk, washed, many times before it is made into a garment. SI is not the same and will shrink a whole size if not more if machine washed. Had a friend make that mistake. I should get another 10 to 15 yrs out of it I reckon.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©