3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which taste better ?  (Read 762 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which taste better ?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
I have to vote for the crop fed deer.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
I love the special taste wild game has, stronger is better for me, so ill have to vote for the buck that doesnt know what a farm is.
If id like something that astes like beef, i`d shoot a cow   ;)    :p
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I vote for the woods version. Grew up eating the farm country version and other than being more lean, it isn't much different than beef. While living in Pa I harvested a deer that spent the summer under the oaks and it was just strong enough to let you know it wasn't beef and I truely enjoyed every steak.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
In my humble opinion, proper care and aging of game makes the difference.

My brother took a large, rutting buck a few years back from a lease we belong to. The deer smelled very rank as we dressed him and I told my brother he wouldn't be very good eating and I would grind him and make jerky out of him.

I was visiting my brother the following summer and we had a very good beef roast for dinner. After we had eaten he informed me that the roast had come from the old buck.

He's a master at aging deer and uses an old refridgerator. He quarters the deer with the hide on and hangs them in the fridge for a couple weeks.

I now have an old fridge in my basement!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
It all depends on how far you have to drag them.  The farther you drag them the better they taste.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I prefer cheese fed deer!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I am with the doe killers here.  I think that a doe eats better than a buck anyday.  That being said, I still like to eat deer meat, buck or doe.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
When I go to the midwest hunting those deer are destined for my freezer, the deer I shoot around here in the south go to needy families or friends in need.  There is definitely a difference in corn/soybean fed deer meat and acorn/twig/leave browsers down here for sure.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Here in arkansas I keep 4 or 5 bags in the deep freeze to cool my warm weather bucks down...I rinse deer our real good then stuff body cavity with baged ice...they hold up over night so i can get them to butcher shop...

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
There definately is a difference in the meets taste depending on what an animal fed on. Just as any cattle farmer. I beleive with propper butchering to food prepoeration you can make the best of any venison.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
The organic grass feed beef that I have is the best tasting I have ever had. I have had antelope from crop regions and one from the far outback and I found the highland antelope was better. I think that a younger deer from the northwoods would taste better than the monster that I was after last year.  I think even in the heart of corn country, one will find variations in taste. Frankly, I am a little nervous about the GMO crops and the chemicals that deer can be subjected to.  When a farmer sprays for pests or weeds, does it affect the deer's nose enough for them to get away? When they sprayed for aphids my bowhunting farmer friend or his dog could not go into the fields for days after.  He is concerned about what it does to his wildlife, but he does not know what else to do.

Offline sstewa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Corn fed!
Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead...when your longbow with a blunt will work!

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Doesnt matter, after I shoot em and let them lay for several hours then drag the hastily and sloppily gutted deer through a muddy swamp or river bottom filling the chest cavity full of muck and then they are tossed in the bed of the truck next to the old lawn mower leaking oil and that tipped over gas can, after which they are tossed on the garage floor for several more days in varying weather conditions, followed by cooking on high heat in some rank oil with salt and pepper till the steaks resemble charcoal briquettes they all taste the same to me.

Seriously, I dont mind either so long as they are properly cared for from shot to freezer and prepared correctly.  Ive had some rank old swamp bucks from Michigan that were great table fare but since moving to Iowa the corn fed bucks here certianly are milder and easier to prepare IMO.  I like venison though so I dont turn my nose up at either.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
All our farms are surrounded by woods or vice versa.  Last year I killed a 200#, 4 year old buck; a 130#, 3 year old doe and a 70#, fawn doe.  I didn't mark which one was which in the freezer.  They all taste great to me.  I sure know I got a heck of a lot more meat from the buck than the fawn.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
A corn/crop fed doe is most delicious....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3