3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladder stand suggestions????  (Read 342 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Ladder stand suggestions????
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Looking for one to leave in. Thanks

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladder stand suggestions????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I use ladder stands more and more these days.  I really prefer one that has a flip up seat so that when I stand my body can be up against the trunk of the tree.  Most ladders don't offer that feature though - you'll have to look around.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
I have a few of the Big Game Partner Plus stands... love 'em!   Saying that, I think Big Game makes single person stands with large platforms, with the flip up seat... (the "Legacy"... I think!!??).
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dimeit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
The larger the foot platform the better.  A flip up seat really increases you ability to move around.  I picked one up at Dick's Sporting goods for just about $100. It came with a foot rest and a shooting rails for later in the season.  

I also like the doubles when I bring my daughter out.  Make sure you get the one with the complete platform though.

Glenn

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
If you have any welding skills or know some who does I would suggest building one.  I've built them out of all sorts of material from old well pipe to bed frames.  They're fun to build, cheap, and you can make them exactly the way you want.
p.s. I'm not a big fan of building ladder stands from wood as they are heavy and don't last more than a few seasons.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Ive also built several stands of different matierials with varying results but currently I buy the cheap stands at Menard's by Big Dog.  I usually modify them by making my own arm rests and shooting rails as they do double duty on my lease (bow/gun).  The small one person stands are 14' tall but a bit small on the platform size, easy enough to modify if you have some time and the skills and I usually find them on sale for around 50 bucks.  If you are a bigger fella or have a youngster you plan to take along you might try one of the two person stands they sell for around 100 dollars.  I like the light weight, portability and reasonable price on these stands and they have proven very durable.  I have to walk several into remots stand sites and being a bit smaller is a plus when you are carrying it in on your back.  My wife on the other hand really likes the two person models, lots of room to stretch out and get comfy, my brother likes em as well since he has a fear of heights.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I'm like the other guys, my stand MUST have a flip up type of seat and a full platform.  They cost more with the flip up seat, but its is absolutely worth it.   :readit:     Most of the cheaper ladder stands have a foot platform so small that the toes and heels of my size 8's hang off the ends.   :eek:    Rivers Edge has some nice ones. :thumbsup:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
This morning my son and I put up a 17.5' model made by Field and Stream.  It is a buddy stand with a bench seat that lifts up. It took us about an hour to put together last night and about an hour to put up.  It was a bit of a bear to walk up the tree with just two of us because it is heavy.  It is very secure and the most roomy stand I've ever seen.  We won't be moving it soon!

I still prefer hang-on stands because I can get a bit higher and I like really limby trees for the cover. I love the nesting ladders for climbing the trees.

God willing we'll both be in our favorite spots on Saturday morning. I have pictures taken on Aug. 16th & 18th by my trail cam at 7:38PM (30 minutes before dark) of two PY bucks (near 140) 16 yards from my favorite hang-on spot!

This is my first year using a trail cam (I'm not very good at it yet).  I am hoping one of these bucks is my first traditional kill since 1974 -- my last year with traditional before converting to compounds in 1975.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I like the idea of Ladder stands, but the side rails get in my way shooting....bought the Big Game Ultra View last year and love it....it is heavier and a bit harder to set up than some other ladder stands, but that isn't a problem if you don't want, or need to move it often.
Big, roomy platform, flip up swivel seat makes it easy to stand, turn around to shoot behind you if need be.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
When I used used tree stands ( I no longer hunt from a tree) I liked the Lone Wolf climber, and the Gorilla ladder stands.   A foot rest is a must have if you want to be comfortable.  All it took me was one 7' fall while going up the tree, a broken ankle and a 1/2 mile crawl to my truck then using my left foot for the gas and break for a 4 hour drive to get to the emergency room here back home was all it took me to realize that the good lord made the ground for me to hunt from.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Whip knows what he is talking about. I got a realy education about ladder stands and how to place them hunting with him. Big fold up seats are REALLY nice.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I've got a Ameristep 2 man 15 footer, just for myself...aahhh...rrooommmyy! I love it, and I have to be careful not to fall asleep up there it's so comfortable, lots of room to switch my butt from one side of the stand, then the other side. It helps keep my cheeks from falling asleep.  :saywhat:  

I also got a 17 foot Big Dog, man and a half with lots of room, flip up seat, flip up shooting rest, thick padded cushion, really really comfortable stand. I also have to be careful not to fall asleep in this one as well. Good thing it has the arm rests and shooting rail to lean against or I would be dangling from my Gorilla Full Body harness.

Live to hunt another day, always strap yourself in!!  
Statistics show that most deaths occur from heights of 11 feet or less.   :rolleyes:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Just picked up a Big Game "Skybox" 20' tall! Solid with double side bars!
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
This is a timely thread for me as I just bought several ladders stands from my local Gander Mountain for only $99 each.  After a long frustrating search for a quiet and stable stand, one with low rails, a sizable platform and fold up seat, I finally found a good one. It's a 17' 7" TimberShot from Rivers Edge.  I'll post a few photos later if anyone wants to see the stand.
Gary Logsdon

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I've picked up a few from Dick's in the months following hunting season. They had them on sale for $60 and $40. Normally around $120 to $100.

Offline Scout 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Any pics Gary?

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Cabela's stands have worked nice for me. They don't have a fold up seat, but they do have a larger foot platform. Even though they come in three 5' sections, I don't use the middle section. I've never thought it necessary to be 15' to 20' in the air for several reasons. None the least of which is the increased angle of a shot. Not to mention, a 20' fall is twice as far as a 10' fall.

:bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
I've got one up in the backyard that I'm getting ready to take down and drag to the woods tomorrow.  I'll take a photo of it before it leaves town:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Here's what I've gone to.  It's a Rivers Edge "Timbershot" model.  I bought several of them on sale a week ago from the local Gander Mountain for $99 each.  They're made for bowhunters, full platform, flip up seat, slanted rails, etc.  The little armrests will come off but I've practiced shooting my recurve without any problems.  It seems quiet and solid, not too high, 17'7" to the armrests and 15' to the platform.  The whole thing weighs maybe 65 pounds.
(Note: Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh the page if the photos fail to download.)

Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©