3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok clothing  (Read 794 times)

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
Scentlok clothing
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
I was just wondering how you guys felt about those activated carbon hunting clothes.  I've used them along with a fairly strict scent control regimine for a couple of years now with so-so results.  I've had deer upwind act calm and deer downwind turn themselves inside out trying to get away(just like when I wore regular hunting clothes).  
I was just curious what kind of results any of you have had or if you beleive using these garments takes anything away from the hunt.  I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion one way or another just wondering how you fellas felt.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
If you google it you will find that they actually lost a lawsuit because the stuff does not do what they advertise.  It is impossible to recharge it without extreme heat that would actually ruin the rest of the fabric.  Basically its a very expensive gimmick, but I have no problem with other people buying it and not paying attention to the wind, maybe they will push the deer to me. LOL.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Yeah, but if you google Scent Blocker® Robinson Outdoor Products court case you'll find that they won their case. It was found that reactivation could be attained with their products and that the products did eliminate scent emination.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I got ScentLok jacket and hat from Cabelas on sale a few years ago, not so much for the scent blocking aspects of it, but because it seemed like a good price for what seemed like quality clothes.  My personal observations are that the jacket and hat weigh more than they should for the amount of insulation against the cold provided.  My assumption is that the activated carbon adds weight without adding any insulation.  Maybe it even reduces the effective insulation, I don't know, but I've always had a hard time staying warm in that jacket.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
this might fit neatly into Asbell's article.  It may work, it may not, but you don't need it.  Learn to use the wind.
ChuckC

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
What ChuckC said.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Learn to use the wind.
ChuckC
How do you do that when hunting urban deer in a subdivision on a 1 acre or less parcel. The deer have a set path of travel from neighbor to neighbor. There might be only one tree to hang a stand in.
Using the wind is not an option.      :confused:  
Some of us have learned to use the wind years upon years ago. Sometimes you need a little more help in your arsenal, even if it is only a little.

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
I have to agree with VA Bowbender, sometimes use the wind is not possible.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
If deer are living in one-acre suburban back yards, they're used to human scent, and it isn't going to spook them much. Where they going to go without running into more human scent?

Online NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
The amount of scent coming out of your mouth from breathing makes this a mute point.

Play the wind and I agree with Orion on the small woodlot theory.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
The amount of scent coming out of your mouth from breathing makes this a mute point.

Play the wind and I agree with Orion on the small woodlot theory.
I'm with these guys.  Scentlock is just an expensive gimick.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I tried one for awhile, after about 5 uses the thing stank like sweat and the only way to get it out was ti wash it like regular clothers,  Military chem suits are the same way.
wool stays scent free and is easy to air out overnight, no laundry, no dryer, no residual smell.
 IMHO it is a mute point as you have to breath anyway.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Every year we do this thread and it's always the same!!  I've used military chemical suits with great results. You really have to make it a religion though and I think that the guys who have had poor results with this stuff aren't "going all the way."   That said I'd rather play the wind any day.  Unfortunately here in the foot hills of the Rocky Mountains the wind swirls all the time so scent reduction can pay big dividends.

the chef

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:
Every year we do this thread and it's always the same!!  
Yeah you're right. Thre are those that do and those that don't think it's worth using and never the twain will meet.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I have a scent lok suit that i bought about 6 years ago.It seems to work good but i still hunt with the wind in my face.  :thumbsup:
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
In spite of people's criticism of this product, I believe it has helped me get close to deer. People can rant and rave all they want, but I have never been "busted" since I started wearing carbon type clothing. I use to get busted on a frequent basis, the clothing has helped me stop this.
If you don't like it, do not buy it.
John

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I hunt with scentlok clothing.  But I still stay downwind as much as possible. Ken

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I have the Safari series pants & shirt, Base Slayer,  my rain jacket & pants has it.

Got all of that for Christmas 7 years ago because my wife heard about the stuff & Gander mountain here in town was running a sale.

It's nice camo but that's all I really use it for & the rain jacket & pants really does keep my butt pretty dry & realtively warm down to mid 30's.
Never really fell for the hype of the scent control they said their cloths did & still try to work the wind.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
The article on scent-lok is in the August issue of Field & Stream, talk about getting busted.

I have carbon hunting cloths and the way I rejuvenate them and any other hunting garment including my boots is with an ozone generator. I put everything in a plastic bag and and use a rubber band to seal it tight to the machine. It kills everything, and I mean everything, only takes about an hour.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
my friend and i had a long talke with a chemist about these carbon suits this is the main point he told us, once the carbon is filled with scent it is locked in heat is the only way to "unlock" it problem is it takes way way more heat than a dryer so much heat the clothes would burn long before the carbon would "let go" of the capture scent.  So after a few usses it just becomes camo clothing

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©