3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok clothing  (Read 801 times)

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok clothing
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowmaster12:
my friend and i had a long talke with a chemist about these carbon suits this is the main point he told us, once the carbon is filled with scent it is locked in heat is the only way to "unlock" it problem is it takes way way more heat than a dryer so much heat the clothes would burn long before the carbon would "let go" of the capture scent.  So after a few usses it just becomes camo clothing
Actually it becomes camo loaded with scent!  My experience with it is it worked great for a few hunts but after it got loaded with scent it was worse than wearing regular camo.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't catch the Field & Stream article.  The ozone generator idea sounds pretty interesting.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
I have always just hunted the wind, not because I don't think the clothes work, but due to the cost of them.  It would be pretty hard to fool the nose of a deer.  I use rubber boots, air out my clothes, wash with scent elimination soaps (clothes and myself), spray with scent elimination products and make sure to wipe my feet alot on the grass or dirt in the area i will be hunting as soon as I leave my truck.  I carry my clothes to the area I will hunt and put them on after I get out of my truck.

I do alot to keep scent down.  Year before last my sons black and tan coon dog tracked me to my tree.  A deer would have as good of a nose and maybe a better nose than a dog.  

Point is, do all you can and then hunt the wind, you can't fool them.  Your best bet is to outsmart them.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Ive known people who swear by it but for my experience I already have deer as close as rubbing antlers on my ladder stands using my current methods, cant really improve on that.  Expensive stuff that you can really do without IMO but if it gives you confidence...
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Ethical Redneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I have 6 or 7 suits and keep them sealed in a rubbermaid or scent tote bag.  I think it works.  At the very least, it's not going to hurt.  Can a baseball player or a golfer hit a ball without a glove?  But, can they hit the ball "better" with a glove?

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Hey man, I heard that if you buy this new super recurve, that you'll never miss a deer again!

Gonna be funny the legal battle, when somebody  shoots 49 deer in a row, and then has a miss.

Wonder how much they can sue for?
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
FWIW I got some Scentlok on sale back in '99. Dunno if it works or not, used it, still do, but pay attention to the wind and other.

It hasn't faded or fallen apart, so even if the stuff doesn't work, it's still good camo, and has actually saved me $ by lasting so long.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
a waste of money in my opinion. have never seen a need in it, I along with alot of others have killed a boat load of critters with out any of that.
 but if you feel you need it for some reason buy it, it could be a confidence builder for ya.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Know matter if they work or not if you don't take extra precaution to be as scent free as posible it's useless.I'm a scent freak.Scent free wash for my clothes,scent free shower before i go in the woods,store close in sealed container,spray down before getting on stand just to metion some things i do.I'll tell you 1 of my secrets to getting close.(ESCENCE OF FALL)cover scent .Have been using it for over 10 years .Had deer downwind at 10 yards and didn't get busted.Was hunting on a 8 foot tripod.Thats when i was convinced i was onto something.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I shared a bear hunt with a guy that worked for them for several years. He stated to me that it works well for the first few times you use it. But you have to heat the suit up to over 1000degrees to re-activate the carbon to get it to release the scent that it has stored up.... My dryer don't get up to 1000degrees. He said it was worthless and the makers know it...
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
As far as scent lock expensive clothing,I would eat 4 bead burritos and wait 8 hrs and put them on and sit outside.When the rumbling comes see if you smell it.

I have used the Military NBC( nuclear biological and chemical ) suits for years and they work.They are cheap at a military surplus.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Stay as scent free as possible and hunt on the downwind side as much as possible and you will be fine, in most cases.
John 3:16

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
scentloc is just a sales pitch.if an animal smells you it dont matter what you are wearing its game over.all you can do is be as scent free as you can with sprays etc and play the wind game.the best thing i have found for elk where i hunt is to spray down good then i pull some greens off a juniper and rub it all over my clothes,arms,face,neck etc.still doesnt block it all though.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Well said Papa Bear
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
I stop bathing in July and come October I pee on my legs and rub my head on any cypress tree I can find.

That's how I beat the wind...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I have a scent blocker undergarment kind of like long underware and also a scent lock suit. I use both in conjunction on cold days but usually in early season just the scent blocker under garments, And i also believe if you go all the way it is very succesfull! Im talking about washing all you clothes in scent free soap underware socks t shirts everything you plan on wearing wash it, use a scent free soap and also deoderant, I play the wind but i have had deer come to me from down wind so I would say yes it works!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
All you guys that air out your clothes, look up Ozone, it's in the air all the time. Sometimes there is a little more and sometimes a little less. It's one of natures ways of cleaning everything. If you hang up your regular clothes to dry after washing, smell them after they have dried, that great clean smell is Ozone.

All you guys with scent-lok clothes you can definitely rejuvenate them with an ozone generator as it doesn't release the odor but destroys it by carbonizing any odor, or germ.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©