3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
THANKS TO LEWIS HOLLOW for stepping up this year and donating the gals for us all to enjoy.

These two gals will be hunting till June and then they will again be auctioned off on our annual St Judes Charity Auction.

We look forward to all the pics and stories to come.     :notworthy:      

Hope:
Right Hand
62" 3 Piece TD Longbow
49#@28"
Riser: Padauk and Leopard Wood
Limbs: Sapele Veneers over Actionboo lams.
16 strand Ultra Cam string
Compatible with any string

Faith:
Left Hand:
62" 3 Piece TD Longbow
48#@28"
Riser: Padauk and Leopard Wood
Limbs: Sapele Veneers over Actionboo lams.
16 strand Ultra Cam string
Compatible with any string

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
IF YOUR NAME DOES NOT HAVE AN ASTERIK PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS ASAP

HOPE

Sept - Jimmy & Mason Shelton*

October - John Ferguson*

November - Micheal Davenport*

December - Ted Lesiak*

Jan - Mike Rizzo*

Feb - Cory Mattson

March - Michael Langehans*

April - JoeBuck

May - Ryan 'Kip' Newton*

June - Tom Phillips Bear Quest

FAITH

Sept - Jimmy & Mason Shelton*

Oct - Malcolm Hicks

November - Paul Mattson*

December - Curt Cabrerra*

January - Boyd Staley*

February - Patrick Kelly

March - Don and Skyler

April - Barry Loving*

May - Terry Green

June - Tom Phillips Bear Quest

IF YOUR NAME DOES NOT HAVE AN ASTERISK PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS ASAP

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
If faith is still open for february, I would like the opportunity to take her hunting.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
We have had a couple of 50 degree nights here on the Cumberland Plateau now and the Poplars and maples have made the change almost overnight. We have to wait till the 25th for deer but will try to go after the skwerls soon. Need a rain to quieten things down a bit.

Don't know what the strings are made out of on Hope and Faith, but WOW, not stretch at all ! Got both of them shooting well bareshaft. Braced at 7 1/4. Hope will be shooting Carbon Express 150's with WW's and hammers for small game. Faith will be shooting POC woodies with 160gr Treesharks and hammers for small game. Heading to grown up clearcut today to trim shooting lanes, entrance ways, and hang stands.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Patrick Kelly...re check the list....

and email me your physical shipping address....

[email protected]

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Will do, Terry.  I'll try to do it proud.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
any word on the girls??   :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Deer does not open till next weekend Guru..... Patience my friend, Patience..... We will try for some skwerls this week in between hanging stands and sweating. 95 here today, sheeesh ! Miss Faith will be shooting your favs Guru..... 160 grain hair poppin sharp SNUFFERS on my woodies ! Changed my mind and decided on Snuffers instead of the Treesharks. Mason will be totin WW's on CE 150's on Miss Hope.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
ooooooo!!!! Just a few more days and Ms. Hope is coming to AR. i got a stand hung over a good bear area and will be on an out of state hunt the last week I have her. I hope i can show her a good time.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
I would love to shoot Hope! I really miss my Lewis Hollow!    :knothead:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Tic toc on my November date with Ms Hope!!! I have a farm that I am leaving alone except to keep violaters out. I already have some trail cam pics of a few good deer that are lining up for dance with the right-handed beauty. My plan is to hunt the other two places I have to hunt and leave the November deer hole open for Ms Hope...41 days until we hunt  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Opening day has arrived finally ! These are from yesterday evening as Mason and I headed in behind the house to our favorite split maple tree. It has three prongs and we are not going to be able to hunt it out of our Summit Vipers much longer, too big ! When we are up in the forks we are hid good. This tree has produced for us each year and hope it does this year. If not we will move 100yds to the bluff in our forked red oak where Mason smokepoled a good 8 point during the rut. We have taken several deer from it too over the years.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Here we are settled up in the split maple with the girls. Been very long hot summer here for us, just last week we were still seeing 95+ degree days with no rain for about 3 weeks. We are 11" behind on rain. Acorns are dropping like crazy and this stand is loaded with white oaks. We have had some years that this tree is a morning spot and others where it is a evening spot. Just have to hunt it a few times and see what they prefer that year.

Mason is 14 now and it seems like yesterday he was 7 and had taken his first deer. I still remember his legs shaking when he was climbing in his own Summit Viper at 9 years old on the same tree above me. I had to nudge him in the butt a few times with my upper bow limb to get him a little higher. I also remember five years ago on this trad journey when after only a year of trad shooting he told me to sell his compound as I was selling mine. We sure have enjoyed it so far and hope we have many more seasons ahead.I sure am proud of him and the time we get to spend together in the woods each fall. I have done my best to teach him the ways of the woods and life lessons along the way. He has learned tons from all the good folk on here too ! I often ask him if he will take me huntin when I am old and need him to help me, haha !

Guru, this pic of Miss Faith's missiles is just for you ! That big ole 160 Snuffer looks awesome out there doesn't it ? I had a wonderful time sharpening them and mounting them. I had traded Brother Chris Surtees 3 WW's for these 3 Snuffers a few months back. Chris, hope you said a mojo prayer over them before you sent them to me as I did your WW's ! After they came off the 16" mill bastard I stropped them on my wooden block with leather that Brother DW had made for me and my calves are slikcer than my wife's ! Never could understand why so many complain about not being able to sharpen 3 blades.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Miss Hope and Faith are sporting endless loop strings and this is my first time ever using them. NO STRETCH ! I am now wondering why everyone inlcuding me has used flemish twist ? Can an endless be twisted some to adjsut brace ? Looks as is you could ? Some of the flemish strings I had in the past required almost constant attention for brace height changes.

Wed we are headin to one of Mason's favorite trees..... " The Toothpick ", as it is known. He calls it the toothpick because even with his Summit Viper adjusted as small as it will go he can still only climb about 12 feet up before the tree tapers off even smaller. . We even took Uncle Robbie Tattoo to that hollow last year but wouldn't dare let him climb it, haha ! Had to find a oak about 100yds away as big as a washtub around to get his Summit Titan in. The, " Toothpick", has been a great producer in the past especially during good acorn years. This hollow is what forest managers call a , "SMZ " or streamside management zone where the loggers cannot log within 50 yds of a creek. All around the, " Toothpick " is a jungle of a 10 yr old clearcut where the deer bed. The hollow that was not touched is now the deer interstate !

Last season we waited about 10 days after season was open before attempting to hunt the, " Toothpick " , waiting on temp drop and correct W or SW wind. We slipped in for a evening hunt and heard deer blowing as we hooked up our Vipers to our North ? We had a SSW wind and the deer we not supposed to be to our North ? Oh well, deer don't read or watch the weather channel.... In year's past the deer always came from the S or W to us. After only being settled in for about 10 minutes here comes a NICE 9 point, looking for the source of the scent ! I could not believe what I was seeing ! He was creeping along, looking all over for us. By the time I got stood and ready he was directly under me and all the small maple saplings around my tree. RATS, I knew we should have done more lane trimming ! I was worried about getting only 1 lung with the straight down shot angle and was also thinking about him presenting Mason a better shot, who was only 40 yds away in the direction this 9 point was heading. Should have seen the look on Mason's face when he happen to look my way and I was standing at about 1/4 draw only 10 minutes after we climbed the tree, PRICELESS ! He was facing his tree to look my way and was looking around the wrong side when the 9 point finally got a good whiff of me and trotted straight to Mason. By the time Mason swapped sides of the tree and started to get to half draw the 9 point smelled him too and bolted about 40 yds to safety..... He stood there for a while deciding what had happened, then dropped his head to the white oak acorns under him and slowly fed off. So close, yet so far ! Never saw him the rest of the season and the deer developed the exact opposite travel pattern as year's past. We might hunt it Wed on North winds instead of South since that was what they were doing last year ? Wouldn't it be nice if deer always followed the script we have laid out in our pea brains !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Cool thread cousin Jimmy! Good luck for the rest of the week, if anyone can ventilate one & do the Girls proud it'll be Mason. Not you. You suck.  :laughing:  Gimme a holler if you need a hand my friend!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©