3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...  (Read 2683 times)

Offline LHA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Glad to see the bows getting to hunt.

Jimmy sorry you and Mason didn’t get to spend more time with them. Knowing that a father and son team was able to hunt with the bows feels great. Your posts here of hunting with Mason and the closeness you share mirrors the relationship that I have with my son who also will be fourteen this November.

Best of luck to Mac and Nathan for October I’m looking forward to hearing of the adventures.

Chris

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Chris,
We were honored what time we did have the gals. This is a wonderful thing you bowyers do each year for the kids. We are humbled by your gift to the kids. Good on ya brother !

Okay Mac and Nathan...... lets have a hero pic soon !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
WOW, that was soon Nathan ! Think I will start popping the popcorn.... this is gonna be a good one !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Well guys I was working one afternoon in the hay field when up to me came a long lean Brunet.  She was sure a hottie.  She was built to handle, if you know what I mean.

Well, I could not resist.  I stopped working and tried to get acquainted with this new mystery girl.  Not only, I found out, was she a looker, but she had a personality to kill for.  The whole package.  She had looks, personality, style, and was a true work horse.

The more we got acquainted, the more I knew for sure that we had a future together.  I just could not wait to get my hands on her when we were apart.

So I did what any normal man would do.  I took her to a place that made her feel like she was the only girl around for miles.

We got nestled together and I just held her.  I had bought something shiny for her earlier, and decided now was the perfect time to give it to her.

Well, you know how a thing like this will go...

I SCORED!!!

We were together in a tree, the wind was out of the east, everything was perfect.  I had this spot scouted out.  I knew the deer would come from behind me and feed in the white oaks in front of me.  

About 6pm I looked behind my tree to see a lone doe about 200 yards off.  I patiently watched her for about 10 minutes the here comes another doe.  Within about 10 more minutes there were about 9 or 10 does and 4 bucks in the field directly behind me.   :thumbsup:  

I could see 3 of the bucks were small, but one, well he was a toad!  They milled around in the field for about 25 minutes, when one of the yearling does threw her head up, looked in my direction, and sprinted to me like you never seen.  She started mowing down some acorns.  She was at about 30 yards, hung up like a hair in a biscuit, when I noticed the others were coming too.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
The lone doe that came in first slowly started making her way away from me, directly away from me.  This was OK.  The others were still on their way.  

Before I knew it, I had 4 does and 3 bucks within 12 yards of me, including downwind.  This was bad.  There were alot of eyes around and the wind was now blowing from me straight to the lead doe.  She did not react.  Then another doe walks directly down wind.  She smelled a rat.

While all of this was going on, two of the three bucks were oblivous to what was taking place with the lead does only feet away.  These bucks were the smaller ones.  I had wanted the 8pt.  He was not quite P&Y, but he was close.  The problem was he was interested in a doe out in the pasture.  Yup, that is what I said.  Chasing a doe the first full week of October.  He was not bellied down, tongue hanging out, 14 yeard old boy kinda' chasing, but he was definately chasing.

Hung up with him was about 5 other does that he was not interested in.  Problem is, they are intersted in that doe that is downwind of me.  She has now got a case of the "Elvis Legs", she is smelling a rat, and she don't want to be where she is standing at the moment.  

She has not pinpointed me yet, but its coming soon I figure.  I checked the 8 pt, he has went the other direction, game over for him.  I look down, all the doe now see me.  I must have caught their attention when I looked for the toad.  

Crunch time.  The old saying of a bird in the hand is better than 2 in a bush is what rushed through my mine.  I concider myself extremely blessed to be able to have the opportunity to hunt with Ms. Hope and I don't want to send her away without knocking the new off.

I decided to take the largest of the 3 small bucks.  All of the does were on red alert, so they were out of the question, but the silly boys were more worried about their bellies than they were their heart and lungs.

Did anyone ever tell you a diet high in White Oak acorns leads to heart and lung problems?  Well, it does!!

This guy is proof.  Upon autopsy, he has sustained serious damage to the right lung and had a hole in his heart that went from the top directly down to the bottom.  A heart cannot work with 1 1/4" a hole through it.  This guy found out the hard way.

This buck ran about 80 yards after the shot.  the other deer, they ran about 40 yards, stopped and came back to feed on the acorns.  I had to wait for them to leave to track my deer.

By the way, the oldest in the pic, well, he's my bloodhound.  I am colorblind, I can't blood trail deer, but my oldest, Possum, he is a hound.

He is a small buck, but I was very happy to have the opportunity to hunt and take a deer with Ms. Hope.  He is a 5 pt. weighing in at about 110-120ish pounds.  With the 1st down for the gal, its time to try loading up on some mojo.      :thumbsup:      

:archer:      

God Bless,
Nathan

Offline LHA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Nathan,

Thanks for sharing such a great hunt. That is a fine deer and two fine looking young men as well. I bet they had a ball.

Congratulations,
Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Here is another pic. The arrow stuck in the ground was used on him, that is the quiver I carry squirrel hunting and stumping but worked well for this stand, and of course Ms. Hope.

Its kinda' graphic, I love razorcaps...

Serously guys, if you have not shot a Lewis Hollow Archery bow, you are missing out.  I let a guy play with Ms. Hope for about 10 minutes and he is currently picking out woods.  They are sweet.

God bless,
Nathan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Those two boys shoot a bow more than almost anyone.  The oldest can hit a coke can at about 15-20 yards almost every shot.  The youngest is not that accurate yet, but it sure aint for lack of practice, just lack of age.  :campfire:    :archer2:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Way to go!!! Having your kids there is just an awesome blessing. Keep after it brother... You got a lot of a month left  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Great job Nathan!!

You've done Miss Hope and yourself proud.

You know the old saying and while Miss Hope is there you might as well "make hay" with her.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Congratulations sir!  Great pictures and story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Way to go Nathan ! Congrats bud !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Great job Nathan!  I'm sure your son didn't have much trouble with that blood trail.  Keep up the good work.  I really like the razorcaps too.

I was out with Ms. Faith this evening and had a lone doe come within 15 yards of my treestand about 5 minutes after shooting light was gone.  The farmer was nearby on the tractor and there was just a bit too much activity in the field earlier. Maybe I will have movement earlier tomorrow?
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
Great story telling! Congrats!!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
Congrats Nathan....way to go!!!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Good luck Mac!  Tractors don't seem to bother the deer in my area.  I was putting out hay about 2 years ago and come up on 4 bucks, 2 of which would go 135" or better!!  They just stood there until I was about 40 yards.  I think deer just know when you are a threat and when your are not.  Go git em' Mac!!

NoCams, you and your son would have broke them in right if given a little more time, I am sure of that.  

God Bless,
Nathan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Excellent Nathan, congrats bud    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
i think one of these bows in about 60-65lb would be awsome. Ms. Hope is 49lb@28", she is the lightest bow I have ever hunted with. I have heard about folks on here hunting with 40ish lb bows and always said they got good results. I was suprised to say the least about the performance of these light bows. She is sweet. I shot through the ribs close to the spine where they are thick, through the lung and through the heart top to bottom. I did not get a pass through, but he only ran about 80 yards or so.

He had about the smallest rack on a buck that I have ever killed. This one is very special to me though. To be able to take a deer with Ms. Hope and all that she stands for, the hope, the kids and the cures, means more than any of the ones on my wall.

I will make a european mount with this deer, the arrow, a plate telling about the cause and bow and a picture of Ms. Hope.

God Bless,
Nathan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©