3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...  (Read 2687 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventures of Hope and Faith by Lewis Hollow...
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Good luck Michael
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
The second sit was this am. What a fun hunt. I managed to rattle/call 2 different bucks to bow range but not what we are looking for. I use a rattle bag when I see a deer far off to make some noise then use Mike Mitten's puppet fighting to reel 'em the rest of the way. Here's pics in sequence of a buck that would have run me over!

The second buck just strolled in like the owned the joint. He would have got his butt kicked had he got there a few minutes earlier.

Both bucks used the scrape that was doctored with Smokies. All in all it was a good sit before work. On the way out I got to see a deer that thought she was a turkey and found some awesome rubs. I hated to go to work, but it's my duty. Looking forward to more time with Ms Hope.

Mike Davenport

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Great pics and story Mike ! Mason and I were coming out of the stand earlier this week at lunch and wound up under a persimmon tree like your pics. Mason shook it and I picked one up just to see if it was ripe.... ? Glad I took a small bite and was able to spit it out quick ! Nasty ! Maybe they taste better to the critters ?

Sure do envy your home state hunting there bud. ILL is an awesome place. Love that 3rd pic with the cedars mixed in and also the background behind Miss Hope hangin with you in the other pic. Love those open hardwoods with the rut coming on. You should be close to peak in another week or 10 days. What arrow and head are ya shootin out of Miss Hope ?
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Should have read before I typed Mike.... I see you what bullets you are shootin out of Miss Hope now.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Jimmy, I changed heads on her. Went from 250 Elites to a 160 gr Ace standard with a alum insert for total weight 212 grains. I found they flew just a little better. Assuming it was a spine thing. Total arrow weight 612 grains. Anxious to test out the arrow  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
Wow, looks like you are burried to the lips in deer. Great pics and a great piece of ground  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
UNBELIEVABLE hunt with Hope this morning...sad to say no arrows launched. I had her in my hands with tab on the string a good buck hung up at 40 yards. I have a trail cam photo of him coming to me and then him leaving, which I will add later...but no dice on the shot. Came to the horns, but he just didn't see the fighters and moved on. Would have been a great deer to take with her. Maybe next time! Still have a bunch more time with her...We'll get our chance  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Mike,
Not a matter of, " IF "...... only a matter of, " WHEN " !!! Looking forward to pics of Miss Hope with her ILL prize !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks! I am confident we will get a chance...Hope will do her part, looking pretty and deadly. I gotta do my part  :)  

Here's the sequence from this morning. I knew it got caught on the trail cam on a scrape near the little field I was set-up on. Funny how a 10 minute encounter can seem like it lasted forever. I will put them in sequence as I find it interesting that once he didn't see another deer, he exited stage left. Hope and I had him, but he had 2 trails to take and naturally he chose right. Not an IL giant but a fine 3.5 year old buck with some junk...Hope and I are having a blast  :)  

Mike Davenport

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Good lookin buck Mike! Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Nice !!!!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
these stories and pics are great!!!! I'm getting anxious with Hope coming to me for December,,, would be great if she connected in IL. before coming here,,, December is the toughest month to hunt here because of all the Pushes by the shotgunners, but I have a nice private spot ready to go..

not sure about you other guys that have had HOPE but I have some heritage 150's set up a bunch with 75gr inserts and a bunch with stock,, so i can cover up to a 325gr point BUT, I'm thinking 175 or 200 up front will shoot pretty good.
"Us vs Them"

Offline LHA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
With the deer activity kicking in it’s like sitting on pins and needles waiting for the reports to come in! Good luck to all.

Chris

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Chris, thanks so much for doing this. Ms Hope is an absolute joy to shoot, light in the hand, and a beauty to look at   :bigsmyl:  

Tonight is the first night there has been no doubt rut activity here in where I live in IL. I had a feeling it was going to be good...at 4:30 I blind rattled and heard footsteps right away. I grabbed Hope and had the pleasure of watching a Boone and Crocket buck walk to me in the thicket from 100 yards. It is a buck I have seen one other time. At 30 yards he stopped to make a scrape and after calming myself down, it was game on. At 25 he started to angle away. I mouthed a little grunt and he picked his head up, turned, and came within 2 steps of my shooting lane at 20 yards....the wind swirled a little, I held Hope and prayed, but he got nervous and walked straight away...he never spooked and I still have an idea of where he will be on the 160 acre farm I have to hunt. So, Round one, Booner. I still like our chances for the next 2 weeks  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
Wow, What a thrill that must have been...good luck bud    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline LHA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
wapiti

It’s my pleasure.

Seeing many fine people use the bows and then knowing they will be auctioned for such a wonderful cause feels great.

Chris

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
:coffee:  Got a feeling that buck might just get issued a parking ticket any day now.....
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I am really enjoying watching the gals on their journey.  Like Chris, I love the thought of the end result of Ms. Hope and Ms. Faith.  I also want to thank Chris again for donating the girls for such a wonderful cause.  

There is a boy in my son's class that is a cancer survivor.  He is 6.  I wanted so badly to get a pic with him and the bow, but was not able to obtain one due to circumstances beyond my control.  I will be honest with you, I can't hardly think of the stuff that young man has gone through without getting tears in my eyes.  

These donations are a blessing to St. Judes and therefore a blessing to the children.  There is also a blessing for us for the part we all take in making it possible.  That is why the bows mean something more than any bow could, they mean just what they are named, Hope and Faith.

When you hunt with these bows, know in you heart and keep in your minds, the reason for it all.  I thank the Lord that there is Hope for these kids and have Faith that they can have a future.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Today is the first day I could not hunt with Ms Hope...the pumpkin army has invaded and the fine folks at the State House in Illinois think that it is not right for a bowhunter to be in the woods at the same time with the slughunters. So we are officialy taking a break until Monday. Coarse I do own my own ground, and I do have a firearm permit, but funny no firearm. Maybe Ms Hope would like to keep me company this weekend as we don our orange. She can keep the mountain lions off me since so many are being sighted here  :)  

Hope and I logged 60 hours in a tree in 6 days last week. I had 2 excellent opportunties that blew up at the last minute. I passed 7 different bucks...one of which I should have my head examined on. I also got some great pics that will be here shortly. I enjoyed my vacation so much...Hope was there to do her job. I just didn't let her. Not yet. There are giants about and we have time. I have a 4 day weekend planned for Thanksgiving. Then it will be time.

One quick story...and a warning

Having no tracking to do with Hope was getting old. I told myself one evening sit that the first legal critter (that was not a young buck)in range would be in trouble. Soon after climbing in and buckling up I heard a slight rukus in the thicket. Out of the honetsuckle hops the fattest rabbit I have ever seen. With the "swing and shoot" song buzzing in my head I drew Ms Hope back picked a spot in front of the rabbit who was running full blast by and now and released...and mmmmmissed by a rabbit whisker. Sitting there dumbfounded, unloaded, and blank as to why the bunny took off so fast. The answer came by way of a heavy 4 by 4 that I had been wanting to kill since seeing him in September, standing 15 yards away. Before I could get an arrow on the string, the panting, rut-crazed buck trotted off leaving me in fits. Hope laughed at me I am sure...the bunny did too I think as a way to say "Stupid. I ran outa that thicket 'cause something spooked me." Here's the warning: We trad bowhunters are legal animal opportunity shooters. Just be prepared for another animal soon after you launch...IT HAPPENS   :banghead:
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
As mentioned above hunting with Ms Hope is a joy. In the 6 days I hunted last week I could do nothing but smile every time I looked at her. The bow is just purty  :)  

Here in IL the second week of November is magic. Bucks come out of the woodwork...most of the bigger ones you never see. I had the best buck I have ever had in bow range with Ms Hope in my hand. I could not risk a photo but even if I didn't loose an arrow. She was there with me, and in some ways all of my Tradgang brothers.

I did rattle this big buck to 100 yards later in the week. He came on a string to where he should have seen a buck fight but didn't. I think a decoy would have worked but have given up that game after spooking a 200 inch deer with one a few years ago with another weapon.

The farm I am hunting is about half thicket/hardwoods and half crop ground. Hope and I would sit the edges looking for cruising bucks and if they were what I thought I wanted I would try calling. Most of these sets were in pinch points, hourglass woods, and inside corners to up our odds on catching some rutting bucks out looking. Good sign here including some great rubs.

Most of the week it was plenty of these guys. They seemed to be everywhere. The rut was on the verge of busting into a wad of chasing, and I wanted to be in the woods as much as I could.

Finally I saw the bigger boys were on their feet the last couple of days before the pumpkin army invaded. We nearly got it done in a thick travel corridor. Hope was ready (and so was I) but like big old mature whitetails do, he simply turned and walked away.

I had a great last day before the gun season. I decided to skip the pinch points and travel corridors as I had witnessed several big bucks tending does. I chose to duck into an overgrown patch of woods that is only about 5 acres. It is where I killed the big 'un in my avatar, and it is a place does bed and get tended to. Like clockwork at daylight a big 9 point with kickers pushed a doe nearly to my lap. I was gonna kill that deer I told myself...well it nearly happened. A young forky tried to get near the doe and the mature buck roared into him. I almost felt sorry for the young deer. He ran to me as the big buck stayed 40 yards away. I took this as my chance and snort wheezed. This did the trick and the big buck came back over to run the buck off. At point blank range (say 12 yards) he stopped quartering to me. I felt confident he would turn broadside, but we went north-end to south-end so fast that I couldn't draw. He marched over to the doe and mounted her right there. I had never seen that before, and didn't know if I should hide my eyes or hang on to Hope and pray for my shot. I did the latter, but he just walked off with the doe. I spent the whole day there, dark to dark, and never saw another deer. I did get the treat of watching this momma bobcat and her kit stalk a group of turkies in the field. It was just cool having visiters as the all day sit had about hurt me.

The last day before gun season left me this sunset and a few days to ponder the 10 days I have left with a special bow, for a special cause, in a special place.

Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©