3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pre-season Tree Climb w/ Addiction (in pics)  (Read 482 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pre-season Tree Climb w/ Addiction (in pics)
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Could have called this thread, "75 Year Old Fool Cat In A Tree". Do as I say - not as I did!!!

Figured it was time to break out the Ol' Man  (my Climber, not me) and see if I still can make it up a tree, and shoot a couple arrows, with my Anneewakee Addiction and Slim Jim Combo, out of a stand. Tell you one thing right now - no interference with my neat little 54" bow, "Blackie", even with the rail on the Ol' Man, and the quiver and arrows on the the bow. I was duly impressed and pleased with the results. I do wish Rose had zoomed in a little closer on a couple pics (beggers can't be choosers - LOL) but maybe another time. I also want to say - normally I wouldn't even practice without my safety vest on - but I compleatly forgot it, until I got up the tree. First of the season I guess - but I promise I won't do that again.

On a tree beside my home range lane and climbing:

About at the height I want:

A few shots to the side of the climber, at my 3D targets:

A couple shots to the front - tree limb behind me a little close to the bow arm elbo but it worked out OK:

A sitting shot to the side - when that 3D deer snuck in on me - LOL:

Left the stand on the tree for another climb tomorrow (hopefully) befor Earl, the "himacain", gets here, if possible. I hung "Blackie" (& Slim Jim) on the stand (so they all can become good friends) for this picture - but knowing I didn't leave that sweet bow out there overnight - LOL:

Thanks for "climbing" with me (you made me feel safer).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Pre-season Tree Climb w/ Addiction (in pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Good luck out there. That set up looks like it should do the trick! Stay safe and shoot straight.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Nice pics Bernie.  Thanks for sharing.  And, yes you will not bounce if you fall.  Wear your fall protection.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me Bernie!  Remember you promised to wear your vest next time!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Not bad for an old guy!  :notworthy:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Believe me - you are all absolutely correct - believe me when i say this is so out of character for me (lack of full safety). Benjy as soon as he saw the first pic, without reading, fired a PM to me and even offered a safety rig - bless his heart. I have a great safety vest and i don't want to see anyone else doing this - PLEASE. I sure won't. As i told Benjy, I only hope somehow this will serve as an "inverse warning" to others. Please be safe, even when practicing, and fired up about the season being close. We don't want to lose any of you, especially to a lack of safety.
I double-darn promise that you will not see me doing it again without my vest.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Not bad for a young fellow either!  I agree with the rest...get that safty vest on  "[dntthnk]"   With all those pins in your hat, you can't afford a fall on the ole errr young noggin  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Ya still got it Bernie!

Just wonderin... do you have a small rope to teather the top and bottom of your stand together (I don't see one)?  Just thinking of your safety.

Respectfully.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Good grief, Bernie, you put me to shame. I get all kinds of kudos for hunting from the ground, but truth to tell, I am too lazy to lug a stand out there and drag it back!

That sure is a handsome rig, the Slim Jim sets it off nicely. Deer are gonna come up just to ooh and ahh over it. Could be that you just have nice legs.
I wish you a season that warms your heart and gives you wonderful memories. Make sure that you have lots of pics, 'cause your brain will start to go when you hit a hunnerd an' four.

Major kudos, and watch your donkey.
Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
:D    - I will keep my eye on that particular "critter", Killie, thank you, and thank you for the very nice wishes, dear friend.

Thank you David and Doc also. My stand does have a connecting strap between the sections (I'd be lost without it - I use it a great deal for controll, both when climbing and "unclimbing"). It is the strap that comes off the top of my feet (the boot straps for the bottom piece) and comes up and is affixed to the side of the top section. I most always have it in my right hand , along with the side rail, as I climb. When I get into my position and slip my feet out of the straps I tuck the strap over the back of the bottom section so there is no danger of tripping on it while standing, shooting, taking care of nature calls ,etc.     ;)

You might see the strap best in the last picture. It's the strap to the right of the two carry straps hanging under he top section.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
This is one of the old Ol' Man stands by the way - refurbished by the original owners once (free). I understand the new owners are doing well with it now and I wouldn't mind a new, lighter one - but the bucks just aren't there these days. I really like mine though.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
I have used an Ol' Man stand like that a few times.  That web seat is the most comfortable set up on the market.  Good luck.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
I agree wholebottomedly about the web seat! Thank you for the luck wish. I also wish good luck to all of our members this year with their trad equipment.  (They're on their own otherwise -    :D     ;)   )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Lookin' good Bern.  :help:  if I ain't careful.  You take care guy, you still got it.  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
....'cause your brain will start to go when you hit a hunnerd an' four.
I thought Bernie WAS 104 - he's been 70-something since I met him 10 yrs. ago.  He's just in better shape than most 40 yr.-olds is all.
And it's all due to those afternoon naps he takes.

I'm so hoping to retire soon so I can take an afternoon nap too.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
That's muh secrut a'rite, Tom! LOL

They kept us down at the base most of the afternoon - new Dr. (to us) (Lt. Cmmndr) and he checked us over real close. Also set up a couple tests for each of us for later. However, we did get home before dark so I was able to get some more pics for this thread (I hope usable - LOL). Just letting you know I am going to upload them now, and will be back later this evening to post them.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Bernie, you're quite the inspiration.  I'm 44 and hoping I can still shimmy up trees like you at age 75!    :thumbsup:
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Thank you, Bobhat. Joekeith - I don't think you'd be sorry if you "slipped" and got an Addiction bow and Slim Jim quiver - not at all - LOL

OK, more pics from my tree stand. This time Rose went up on the first platform of my tower (not a thing she likes to do - hates heights - even low ones) and got some closer pictures for me. She's such a good helpmate!

See? Tonight I put my SAFETY VEST on like we are all supposed to (and need to) do. Believe me, this one is a pip too:

Shooting down at the 3D targets in the Range Lane:

And one out to the front of the stand again at a leaf on the ground:

Trust me - I felt a lot more comfortable tonight - with my SAFETY VEST on. I was rushing a little to get my poor wife down off the tower quicker, though. Still, I was pretty pleased with the shooting and pic results, and I'll be back with another post to show you the hits.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration you look Great in that tree.   :thumbsup:   I'll be 51 this month  and you gave me the confidence I need, it's been several years since I've used a climber. I've been planning on getting my old API climber out of the attic this year.
P.S. I did order a safety harness, it came in today.

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Bernie,
You may want to keep that safety vest on for the next 24 hrs. or so as hurricane Earl makes his passage along the Carolina coast.  Wouldn't hurt to put a life jacket on those dogs of your'n too....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©