3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stick-n string? really?  (Read 625 times)

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
stick-n string? really?
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
How many others just cringe  :mad:   when they hear some wheelie toting t.v. celebrity hunter say "on this weeks episode we're gettin' primative huntin' with the ole' stick-n-string" while holding the newest arrow launching, fiber optic, drop away, device.   :knothead:   Same guy next episode: "could'nt get it done with my bow, good thing i've got my trusty ole' smoke pole" while shooting a modern scoped muzzle loader.   :banghead:  I enjoy and use alot of modern technology, but I don't try to B.S. people into believing i'm doing something the hard way.  :nono:  Sometimes you just gotta laugh!  :D

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stick-n string? really?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I'm with you!Then again, I dont consider my carbon and foam limbed bows with laminated exotic wood riser and skinny d97 a stick and string.To me a stick and string should be just that A STICK and A STRING, in other words a SELFBOW.
Bill

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
i am right there with you man.i am all for the right to use that stuff,but it is what it is.i shoot a black widow longbow.it's a modern r\\d longbow.it may be called traditional,but i sure wouldn't call it a primitive bow.if we all went primitive we would be hunting with rocks.primitive to me now means a selfbow and arrows with stone heads.thats about as primitive as it gets in this day and age.good luck this season,steve

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I'm with ya. Tired of seeing the little women shooting an animal and then seeing it run off with more than half the arrow sticking out the entrance side. Then next thing their showing a bloodied arrow calling it a complete pass through. Yeah right push through, pull through, maybe. But pass through..... Don't make me laugh.
Wish Hooters would start sponsoring some of those shows. Then maybe I wouldn't get sick of all the camera shots they do just to advertise sponsors so they can collect their paychecks.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
ya gotta stop watchin all those marketting shows... they'll rot your brain! They're worse than infomercials... (wait- they are infomercial).  Basically, you see the host out on XYZ ranch with the crew from ABC hunting products.... The hunt is an infomercial showcasing the products for the sponsor who paid the host, the show, and paid for the high dollar hunt...

Not to knock the hunters.... They just are trying to make an honest dollar, but they hunt where and how they are paid to hunt!!!  I can't knock a waitress at Hooters for using her attributes and personality to make a decent living delivering fried chicken and beer... Can you knock a hunter for making a living hunting by pushing product? I can't!

But it is like watching Road runner VS Wile E. Coyote... you already know whats is going to happen... why torture yourself?   :knothead:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
ya i heard ol stan potts say it and laughed my self to puke.and its no worse than seeing an archery catalog and its 90 percent compounds and crossbows....
i like biscuits

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
I see I'm missing nothing by not having a television.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
If you watch it with the expectation that it is just a show where someone is doing what they consider to be "the hard way" it is good clean fun.

I found it very liberating to just keep my ideas on how it "should be done" only to how I hunt.

Since then I can share pig camp with hardcore riflemen and ge pumped for them after making a 300yd shot on the same afternoon I got winded at 40yds and never drew back.  

My way is just that, my way.

Happy hunting guys, however you see fit is fine by me.

Please take no offense as none was meant, I just know I was able to shed that same lil bit of angst about the same stuff here recently and life is better.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Nothing against the compound, I used to shoot one myself, but I refuse to even call it a bow never mind a stick and string.  By the way I currently shoot high tech traditional(Black Widow and gold tip carbons)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
Like you mentioned, you just laugh. Some people like being idiots.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00:00 AM »
That's not as bad as when they say, "We hunted hard the whole time we where here", "It was a good hit" (as You watch the arrow enter the chest head on), "I had to take the shoot" and the real pisser... How they don't show any respect for the game they hunted (shot).

Most of the shows, It was the guides that did all the ground work and the TV hunters just come and sit in a blind or in a tree.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:00 AM »
I go the other route, I'm educating my nephew on hunting. I use "those" shows as a what not to do, what not to use etc. I've told him a thousand times their is NOTHING worse then a TV educated hunter. peroid.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
I'm with yal on this one.I hate the way they act like there hunting hard and then when they make the shot they pan the camera out and you see about 20 deer running off.Hard hunting bologna.I say we put them all on some public land .Then we will see.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Little women? Hooters?

Forgive me, I forgot my place.

killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
No you didn't!

As for hunting shows, just turn off the TV.  Those shows exist for one reason, and it ain't to promote hunting.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
caught the last minutes of a show called red arrow last night.  they were in the process of taping the jaws together when i turn it on.  then they were debating on wether or not an arrow traveling over 320fps would penetrate the back armor of a gator.  to my horror he walked up to a tied and taped gator and shot it in the back of the skull.  to me, it was not hunting, it was slaughtering and not fit for tv much less a "hunting show".
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Not even on my radar for things that matter.

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I agree with everything you fellas are saying but those shows are still better than 95% of the junk on television.  At least we get to see deer.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by zipper bowss:
I'm with you!Then again, I dont consider my carbon and foam limbed bows with laminated exotic wood riser and skinny d97 a stick and string.To me a stick and string should be just that A STICK and A STRING, in other words a SELFBOW.
Bill
Yeah, but laminated glass-carbon-foam-stress-relieved stick and technologically-advanced twisted stretch-free string kinda doesn't roll off the tongue too well!  :cool:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slasher:
Not to knock the hunters.... They just are trying to make an honest dollar, but they hunt where and how they are paid to hunt!!!  
I'm just mad because nobody pays me to hunt!
  :mad:    :laughing:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©