3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stick-n string? really?  (Read 624 times)

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stick-n string? really?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
I don't watch tv...don't go to hooters and always thought little women was about petite
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I like to make my own hunting shows.  Make them how you like them and there is no disappointment.  If that is the way they want to hunt, it is fine with me.  I don't hunt trad because it is the only "pure" way.  I hunt it 'cause I like it.  That is the only reason.  Almost all of my friends hunt with compounds, and they are my FRIENDS.  Their choice, just so happens my choice is different.

I agree with you about the primitave comment.  If it is primitave, it is a selfbow, cane or other arrows, and flint tips.  Personally to call it primitave, I feel like I have to make it myself, even though the indians traded and such, I want to make it all myself to call it primitave. Just my $.02.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
In the immortal words of John Fogerty "I know it's true, oh so true, 'cause I saw it on TV."

Killy, I thought of you as I was helping a friend launch a handcrafted freighter canoe and two killdeer fly across the creek and land on the shore.  I think I was missing some hunting show while I was doing that.  Dangit!

"Little Women" is a classic novel.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
All I can say to that is read my signature line below.

As for "pure" or "traditional" my stance is that not a single one of us fits the description, unless of course you get to your hunting ground on foot or horseback, wearing buck skins you made yourself and a bow and arrow you made yourself too... Shoes, game cameras, gps, vehicles, etc. are all varying degrees of what one might describe as "modern".

As for the t.v. all I can say is: what the heck do you guys expect from the "opiate of the masses?" Shut it off and go shoot some arrows. That garbage will rot your brain and squash your creativity while robbing you of the precious little time we have on this planet.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Slasher:
I can't knock a waitress at Hooters for using her attributes and personality to make a decent living delivering fried chicken and beer... Can you knock a hunter for making a living hunting by pushing product? I can't!

I apologize if anyone took my comment about a waitress at Hooters as derrogetory... I am not judging anyone...

I don't go to hooters but the point was that folks make their choices... I for one don't watch much TV and especially don't watch any outdoor shows or get any of the outdoor channels...

Why because I don't want my children to have that influence... I try to educate my children in a way that they learn to think their way through challenges, not emulate folks who are paid to sell them more stuff...

Killy, I apologize!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
My offense was taken at bwana bowman's reference to crappy hunters as little women. That "women" would be used as a derogatory term is offensive and revelatory of an entrenched attitude. And there are a few *dwarves* in the hunting field who have made the word "Hunter" mean something honorable.

I can knock anybody who sells out their principles in order to make a buck. There is a short word for that old profession. If there were no principles to be sold in the first place, then there was nothing that merits respect.

I have hunted honorably and made my bones in the field. But what are we teaching our little girls?
What are we teaching the boys?

Killdeer     :(
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
[qb] I can't knock a waitress at Hooters for using her attributes and personality to make a decent living delivering fried chicken and beer... Can you knock a hunter for making a living hunting by pushing product? I can't!
 [/b]
I don't think anyone is nocking the hunters for pushing their products or doing what they get paid to do.  It's the fact that most of them act like idiots and do things that are harmful to the image of hunting alltogether.  Like taking head on shots and taking shots at ranges that are longer than the particular hunters effective range etc...

I quit watching the "hunting" shows a while back but I started to watch one a little earlier today oddly enough.  It was called Buck Commanders, pardon my french but what the hell is this crap?  Is this what "hunting" programs have turned into?  I thought the very popular husband and wife who I won't name were bad enough but these guys were ridiculous.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I can absolutely knock a hunter or anyone else for doing nothing more than "selling product".

There's a name for putting money higher on the priority list than scruples.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Well said Killie.
May my daughter also know how to make "bones in the field". May  she also know six ways to Sunday to kick ass and take names! She's got pretty down pat, but even at 7 I wouldn't cross her!

Discussing the poison on t.v. is like debating the fine attributes of a turd.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
How does a thread get so far off track? To all you guys that say "turn off the t.v." no kidding, never thought of that. We all know celebrity hunters are doing paid infomecials. I'm just pointing out stupid things they say or do, it's FUNNY, not to be taken seriously. I'm not looking for any answers or advice just making an observation. Sheesh, lighten up people!   :D

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I am so glad someone on here finely posted something about this , I was flipping through the channels last night , and low and behold I stopped on the outdoor channel and this guy was talking stick and string , them they had some new hi-tech wheel bow it made me sick to here it, people are wierd these days!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline texas woody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I agree with what has been said here, but if I can try to be the devils advocate for a moment. these shows do help to bring people into hunting which is needed these days. I know the response we will hear from this but think about loosing your hunting rights.

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
NorthernCaliforniaHunter said:
"Discussing the poison on t.v. is like debating the fine attributes of a turd."

Oustanding! I love that line. Mind if I steal it and use it?

Killdeer, you go girl! And I say that with all respect. You make excellent points. I've read many of your posts and I could learn a lot about bowhunting from you.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Why don't we all make an effort to compile some professional quality traditional footage to be used in the TV format? Instead of grunting about the negative let's harp on the positive. Even if we throw out the idea of television we could still do well by way of a video podcast, DVDs etc.

I have a BS degree (in every sense) in telecom. If you get me quality footage Ill edit/compile it into something we would enjoy. How many of you hunt with your bow? How many of you have a friend with access to a camera that you would take along? Do the math. We could have a nice Tradgang video library up before long.

Just my 2 cents.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©