3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: High power binoculars or spotting scope?  (Read 547 times)

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
High power binoculars or spotting scope?
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
For all you spot and stalk guru's out there...

I am planning a spot and stalk mulie hunt next fall out in Colorado. I am wondering what are the pros and cons of high powered binculars vs spotting scopes for that type of hunting and what your preference is.

I am looking at the Vortex Viper binoculars in 15x50mm for the binoculars and the Nikon Prostaff 16-48x65mm spotting scope (plus a lightweight pair of 8x binocs to go along with a spotting scope if I go that route).

What would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for any help and direction!

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: High power binoculars or spotting scope?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
The real key is to use a bipod to keep that glass steady and spend as much as you can afford to get the best glass you can.  Eye strain can become a real problem with cheaper optics.

I prefer a variable power spotting scope.  It allows me to better assess the animal and if it is worth a stalk instead of walking all the way to it to find out.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I like 10X binos.  My personal ones are Zeiss. Enough magnification that I don't need a scope that often, and I can keep them steady with 2 hands, or by resting them on top of my bow quiver and using one hand (while standing).

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
You will get higher quality optics for the amount of money you spend with a spotting scope, since essentially a pair of binoculars = two spotting scopes mounted together.  You will also have lighter weight for a spotting scope vs. comparable binoculars, for the same reason, which is important if you're going to be carrying them around any great distance.

You can spend more time looking through binoculars without eyestrain than a comparable quality spotting scope, and your field of vision will be somewhat larger.

For 10X and under, binoculars are manageable and most people would prefer them.  For 20X and over, binoculars would be too cumbersome and you would need a spotting scope.  The crossover seems to be at 15X.  There are some wonderful 15X binoculars, but they are a bit too heavy for my taste, and if I'm going over 10X, I'd just as soon jump up to 20X with a lightweight tripod which will really enable me to see things I can't see with my normal binoculars, which are 8X.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I would use a lightweight pair of 10X binoculars and a fairly light 20X or 25X spotting scope and a small,lightweight tripod.I have a 20X Leupold spotting scope that I like.They may only make it in 25X now.Dwight Schugh once wrote that heat waves in the early season,out West make it tough to use much over 20X and he is right.

The 10X glasses will handle most of it and the 20X scope can be used to pick out details in the distance.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice so far guys! I may have to rethink this a little bit. Anymore advice out there?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
My preference is for a set of high-powered binoculars.  I have a Nikon Fieldscope III ED with a 30x WA eyepiece, which is a FANTASTIC scope, but after hours of looking through it my eyes are dead tired.  I really like the Vortex Viper 15x50 for their size, price and quality.  Not to mention they have a 2x magnifier that is the size of a monocular that fits over one eyepiece that can be used to "zoom" in on a particular animal for a more detailed view.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
If optics weigh to much, you will soon leave something behind at the time you need it. I would get a very good set of binoculars (8 or 10 power)with a 2x or 3x magnifier (as AZ_Shooter said) to use when you really need a better view. I spend most of my time with the binoculars.

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Personally, when Im hiking alot I always carry an 8x or 10x binocular and a spotting scope. As was said above, use a tripod. It is amazing what you can find with good pair of bino's and a tripod. Use the bino's to find your game and then use the spotting scope to see exactly how big etc. This has worked great for me and wouldnt have it any other way. Make sure your tripod is light enough that you will carry it and sturdy enough to do what you want it to do. I work in the optics industry, PM me if you need any other info.

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
I second what was said about the heat waves and higher power magnification.  During antelope season here, the scope is often no better than binos due to the distortion.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I mount my 10x42's to a tripod till I find a critter to look closer at.  Then the quick detach system gets the nikon 50mmED 13-33 spotter on target in seconds.

My tripod weighs about a pound and my spotter weighs exactly a pound.  My buddies that have high end 60 or 80mm euro spotters only pack their spotters when just hiking a short ways from the truck or quad, or they are truly trophy hunting.

I never consider leaving my spotter behind.  Hell I carry it on some hog hunts in open western terrain.

Now the coues deer hunters have spotting perfected and most of the best use 15x56 high end bino's.  But that isn't backpack type hunting for the most part.  I'm going bear hunting Saturday, toting my bino's, spotter, and tripod.

Have a blast out west, awesome place to shiver, sweat, and spend a week or 52...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by CG:
I like 10X binos.  My personal ones are Zeiss. Enough magnification that I don't need a scope that often, and I can keep them steady with 2 hands, or by resting them on top of my bow quiver and using one hand (while standing).
That's what I mostly use (Zeiss 10x40's), but I keep a Bushnell spotting scope with me to check out things at really long range. Most of my muley hunting is in the desert of SE New Mexico. Sometimes I find deer over a mile away and have to start working my way to them.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Hey Andy, where are you located at?

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Lovington.  Where are you, CG?

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
By Clovis

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
'Bout 2 hours north.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
So if I decide to go the binocular route, would you guys suggest a 15x50mm or a 10x42mm (or 50mm) with a 2x doubler?

Lots of $$$ to drop and want to make sure that I will be happy with the purchase  :D

Fred Bear

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I use 8X and 10X Nichon Monarchs for shorter range glassing and spent some money and got some 15X Swaravski's and a 2X doubler. I think you will be happier with the 15X and a tripod. I only use the doubler when I really want to get a better idea of the animal to stalk. I would spend as much as I could afford on a nice pair of binoculars. The 2x doubler is not great in my opinion for glassing for longer periods of time.

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I would have to agree with spend money on glass not power, if you can get both go for it.  You will spend hours behind glass your head will thank you for it...

have fun in Co.
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
You don't "glass" with a spotter or doubler.  You glass with bino's and verify the quality with the spotter or doubler.

I am completely happy with my Alaskan Guide 10x42 and Nikon ED spotter.  My dad just got the Cabelas Euro model and they are spectacular, but after about ten years of getting beat up and hunting all over I love my bino's.

15's are a very specialized item.  If you are going to hunt muley's every few years I would think a 10x42 or 50 and a light weight spotter would be the best bet.  I hunt Georgia, Arizona, Alaska, and California with my 10x42's over the last year.  Always the right tool for the job.

FYI I have the Slik Sprint Pro threeway tripod and have never needed anything more.  Have hunted the pudding out of it for at least six years.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©