3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Verdicts In-Big Jim Heads North !  (Read 402 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Verdicts In-Big Jim Heads North !
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
It has been darn near 50 years of this arrow shooting thing.In that time I've had the pleasure of owning and shooting some really nice bows.I quiver when I think of some of the great ones I've let go.Today I recieved my Big Jim ThunderChild,I know Pics,Pics,Pics.I came from an age BC (Before Computers) and it taxes me to do even this.Pics are on Big Jims WebSite on his Slide Show .Anyways I get the bow with all the Goodies,stringer,sleeve Wax,great T-shirt,Tip protector and a string set-up.Plus I shammed(Yea Right!)Jim into sending one of his new BJ Broadheads.When I un-wrapped the bow I was Honestly shocked.The workmanship and attention to detail was beyond what I expected.Jim promised the wait will be worth it,he was right.All I did was stare and marvel at this masterpiece.When I e-mailed and thanked Jim he was insistant on How do you like the way it shoots,so I just came in from the range with two other bows to compare it to and a wide assortement of arrow.
First ,the grip fits like a glove.The rest sits a little higher than I like ,but it sure didn't affect my shooting.What did I compare it to? well,my other two favorite bows ,My SA111 Widow @55#and My Super Shrew deluxe @ 61#.These are my go to bows and are the bows I compare all others to.I shot about 200 arrows,mostly between the Shrew and my TC.My new TC shot 580 gr.2018's exactly like the shrew with 2020's at 620gr.My last four arrows at 20 yards hit the end of a 10 oz.plastic water bottle resulted in all four arrows stuck in the round end of the bottle.Now I attatched Big jims new broadhead to both the 2018 and 2020 for 680 and 720 grains and was shocked how well they flew.Jim can take giving me this Broadhead as investement spending as I will by more.
The TC is one of those bows that after every shot you like it more and it does what its suppose to do,send a heavy hunting arrow down range straight flying and hit with authority and with deadly accuracy.
Does the bow shoot as good as it looks .flip a coin ,its 120% in both departements.Would I order another Big Jim Bow? NO WAY ,the wait aged me 6 years I don't have (The anticipation darn near killed me!) .Would I buy one off our classifieds,you bet,I'd sell my sister!
If you have a craving for a forward handle R/D bow IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER.
My new Thunderchild will enter the ranks of "GO TO" and head north with my other two favorites for Elk.Nuff Said ! LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Verdicts In-Big Jim Heads North !
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I'm glad you like her Steve! I looked the pics over last night and she sure is pretty! I reckon there is a Thunder Child in my future. I really considered changing my Buffalo Bow order to a TC when Jim introduced them, but resisted. Besides the woods in your bow I really like the lines of the TC. Congrats and Enjoy!!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Hey Danny,same thing with me,after seeing your bow I can see a Buffalo bow in the future.Maybe Big Jim would do a Rush if ordered two!LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
The problem with owners of Big Jim's bows is that once we get one in hand we just can't keep quiet about it. We post pics of these beautiful, great shooting bows, and rave about them. Then, a bunch of other folks that can tell a fine bow when they see it run to a phone and make "The Call" to Jim. So now we get a waiting list that is longer for our next one. If we were smart, we'd keep it quiet, like a conspiracy, just among ourselves. Then we could get our next Buffalo Bow or Thunder Child "Fix" taken care of pretty quick.  Lol! Not enough of them come up in the Classifieds either.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a winner with the tc.I know I really love my 64" Buffalo longbow.Big Jims work is second to none.he has a great eye for detail.
robert quetot

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Danny you are so right!I never was the sharpest arrow in the Quiver.Hey everyone I was just kidding!LOL,this was all made up We haven't even got our bows yet!
Danny maybe if we can sell more bows for Jim He'll put us at the top ,sort of on commission.You talk to him and let me know!LOL

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Steve,
 I shot one back in March, was a bit too light. Sure was a sweet shooter though, and Jim's a fine fellow to deal with. Congrats bud !!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey Steve,
Have you seen these pics before? I think Jim built this bow for some lucky guy in Canada. If you have any pics you want posted email them to me and I'll get them up for you. I noticed from your bows pics that Jim puts the Buffalo Nickel in the Buffalo bow with the Buffalo showing, and with the Indian Head showing on the Thunder Child. I like that, it's just one of the little touches that make these bows so cool.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
The problem with owners of Big Jim's bows is that once we get one in hand we just can't keep quiet about it. We post pics of these beautiful, great shooting bows, and rave about them. Then, a bunch of other folks that can tell a fine bow when they see it run to a phone and make "The Call" to Jim. So now we get a waiting list that is longer for our next one. If we were smart, we'd keep it quiet, like a conspiracy, just among ourselves. Then we could get our next Buffalo Bow or Thunder Child "Fix" taken care of pretty quick.  Lol! Not enough of them come up in the Classifieds either.
LOL that's the truth Dan!  I need to get back on that list soon!  

Steve,  welcome to the club brother!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Nice report.  I to love the BW grips and the Shrew.  Both tops on my list.  So where would you put it in the list of the three bows?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Another Buff bow happy owner here!

I try to convince me I don't need another buff bow(take down this time)

Ya right!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Todd,I honestly don't know where I would put it with those three.The one thing in favour of the other two is I've shot them so much more,but like I said with every shot I got better with it.everything about it is so easy to like.As far as Workmanship it equals one and is ahead of the other.I think this is unbelievable for a bow that hasn't been out that long and testimony to Jims talent.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Danny ,thanks ever so much for posting those pics for me.
Lanier,thanks so much,she is a looker!and sweet shootin' to boot!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I have been trying BW's and Shrews for a while now.  I finally have a PSA on the way and have about 6-months to go on the Shrew list.  However, I really like the look of the Big Jim bows.  I goofed not shooting at least a Buffalo bow at Compton.  I ran out of time.  I need to start working on him to get him to the Kalamazo expo this winter.  I am thinking the Buffalo bow might be a lot like my MOAB, and the TC looks like it would fit my hand nice and shoot as well as a Shrew.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Todd,Whatever you choose get on his list ,Jimmys getting busier by the day.You won't be dissapointed.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Kenneth,I can feel a cult starting,it scares the heck out of me!LOL.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Congratulations !!! Great looking bow Steve  :)

Quote:
------------------
"Maybe Big Jim would do a Rush if ordered two!"LOL.
-------------------

Steve I wouldn't count on that happening. I have to satisfy myself with a picture for now, Jim needs the first bow to match the grip on the second  :(
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Your right Kipp Jim runs a pretty straight and narrow buisness,No Bribes, nothing!LOL.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
I have seen Big jim's bows only in the pics,but they look awesome.
Steve,I am glad you have a new favourite:sure you'll put it in good use!!LOL.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Steve is your grip low or medium and what size?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©