3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bareshafts hitting good but flying bad?  (Read 283 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
bareshafts hitting good but flying bad?
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
Hi Gang,

was bareshft planning with a new to me LB 47#@my 30", 1/4inch is the strike plate out.
Came up with CX Heritage in 31,5" with a 3x5"fletch, 69 grain inserts and 125grain tips.

The arrows fly like darts out to 50 yards, the bareshafts hit a slight little lower (apr. 10 inches on 30-40 yards) but not left or right. But in flight the nock of the arrow goes up and left.

Dont know if that is understable, lets try again:
The point of the bareshafts hit nearly where it should (little low) but the arrow seems to fly in a 45 degree angle with the nock high and left.

Would you change anything or just let them feathers mae their job?

Thanks for any advice.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bareshafts hitting good but flying bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
If the fletched arrows fly like darts out to 50 yds my opinion is to leave things alone. It is said point of impact is more important than arrow flight. I have found that to be true for me and much easier on life. Only my opinion
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Yep like Danny said.I don't bare shat test past 15 yards.Don't fix what aint broke.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Lots of things effect the flight - nock tightness, your release, etc. That's why you compare impacts.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
OK, thanks, just wht i thought BUT (and thats a big but   ;) ) a friend observed the arrow flight for me from the side and he noticed that the arrows (fletched) kick their nock end left during impact. they stick straight out of it but they kick a bit to the left , i am a bit concerned that might lower penetration....
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
I would first test through paper at 10, 15 feet to tune out what appears to be a "nock too high"
condition, then re-test your bareshaft planing results. You don't know that it's not broke until you test it.

BTW,  which  CX Heritage shaft?
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
I'd say you're close enough with the bare shafts to tune with broadheads. That's what is important, unless you don't hunt.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Old York:

BTW,  which  CX Heritage shaft?
150s

BTW, whats the best distance for paper tuning?

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Try 3 - 4 meters from drawn arrow point to paper --------- and try using Stu's Dynamic Spine Calculator, it can get you into the ball park.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
What is your nock height set-up at? Could be making some contact with the shelf.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
nock point is at 1/2" above

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
If it was me, I'd raise the nocking point. My nocking point is 5/8" above.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Sorry, mismeassured. fetched the real tool an dreally is 1/2" above.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
I put the nockpoint down to a bit under 3/8 and now the bare shafts stopped kicking high with the nock, theyre still going left.
The kicking while impact with the fletched ones got smaller, but is still slightly visible.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I would raise the nock also and work back down.  When I have my bows tuned best my bare shaft is closer to the center of the group than 10" at 30 yd.  not all are, but most shots on average are very close to the same as the fletched arrows when I am shooting well.  I look for a tendency to shoot a hair low.  Make sure you are too high and work down.  I like to work until I get a bare shaft flying a little high or nock low in flight.  Then go back the other way a little.  From there I tune with broad heads.  I find I don't need much nock high flight or bare shaft low hit at all to have my broad heads shoot well for height.

After playing with the nock height, I would change the point weight up and down to see what affect it has if your shaft still has as lot of nock weak in flight.  You could be too stiff getting false weak or a little too weak.  Bare shaft impact point can change some at different shooting distances if the shaft is correcting some in flight.  I think paper is a good way to go as a final check if you have a consistent release because you can see how the arrow starts out.  I have to be about 15' from the paper with a cut out from center bow.  I can go closer with a cut past center recurve.  

I have shoot for a long time with what you describe with the bare shaft hitting about right, but not flying all that well.  Impact was great, and the fletched shafts flew real well.  The broad heads were ok also, but not quite field point good when it comes to forgiveness.  Part of it for me was high FOC just making the point weight drag the shaft there.  I started to do more paper tuning and found the fletched shafts to shoot weaker than what bare shaft shooting showed.  I ended up going stiffer on my arrows until my paper holes were better.  Now my bare shafts fly very well with just a little visible weak and high nock flight over long range with no wobble or correction well past 30 yd.  Broad head flight is better now.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
I think Viper said that paper testing with a BS should be done at about 17 feet.  Arrow should be out of paradox by then.

I've had problems with one nock set.  Try one up, one down.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
It sounds to me like your arrow spine is off for your bow.  The kicking left could be the back of the arrow hitting the riser of the bow on the way by the riser.  There are other reasons is occurs but arrow spine is a common culprit.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I would raise the nock point to at least 5/8ths. if not a tad more and shoot. I think you are right on with the arrow set-up and pretty much good to go, it may just be you are not quite getting a perfect release, which very few of us have! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
It's nearly impossible to get a perfect release... you'll almost always have a little kick and wiggle in flight.

If you're shooting with your bow vertical...
From where you say the bareshafts are hitting - 10" low but centered L-R at 30 yards I'd say your nock point is off and you're ever so slighly stiff.  I normally tune to a tad weak at 30yds.  Adjust your nockpoint and see if you can bring the groups together.  Normally I'd say drop it, but you're pretty low as it is and may be getting a false reading (ie kicking up off the shelf)

If you're canting your bow much the nock point is off and you're a tad weak.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
put a broadhead on a fletched shaft and see if your flight and impact are still good. a broadhead will magnify your errors
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©