3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
It seems like an eternity since I was in a normal state of health. What it has been is a little over 2 years of pain and frustration.

It started out with low back pain that inspite of physical therapy and Chiropractic only seem to increase in intensity.
By last fall at this time I was having pain that even Morphine wouldn't touch.

I made the  mistake of driving west for my annual antelope hunt/mountain hangout. I got there and was almost totally incapacitate.
Always generous, my buddies Tippet and Whip convinced me that a flight home would be prudent... they didn't give me an option. (it's good to have friends like them when you are as hard headed as I am)

Within a couple weeks of my return I underwent a 3 hour surgery to remove a cyst that was causing the problems to my spine.

I managed to arrow one deer before the 2009 season closed, but was moving slow. My expectations of being 100% in a couple months was a little less than realistic.

Then this spring after a grueling turkey hunting season I had surgery on my right wrist which was bound up tight by arthritis. More set backs.

I'd resigned myself to learning to shoot my bows from square one and suspected I might never regain strength to shoot my beloved 65# recurve.
             (cont.)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
hang in there brother.you may surprise yourself.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Sorry guy.  

I'm gonna place a bet that you get better and better, but for now, get a 50 pound bow and learn to love holding that one.  

One day pretty soon you will surprise yourself and grab the "ol bow and shoot just fine.

Get well.
ChuckC

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Hope all goes well with your recovery Charlie.  Slow and steady does the trick quite often.  No point in tearing up the doctor's work by getting in a hurry.  Better to drop a few pounds and hunt close than to push it and go backwards on the recovery.

Judging by the last word of your post  "(cont.)" there is more to the story.  I hope it's all good!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Clay Hills Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Hi Charlie,

I had Neurosurgery on my neck for bone spurs 5 weeks ago and am recovering slowly.  The docs all say that as we get older, we just have to be patient with the recovery time.  I hope that it all heals up for you soon and you can start pulling her back again!  

Bill
Clay Hills Bill

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I bet I have lots of bows that would fit you!
Now, let's get this story rolling again. I would hate to think that it won't get told, that you had taken it on the lam, so to speak.

Don't be sheepish!
Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hang in there Charlie.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Hi Charlie.
Sorry to hear of  your recent medical run ins. I have an old Ben Pearson recurve that I believe draws 40# or so. You are welcome to it if you'd like to borrow it during your recovery.
I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years, so it's the least I can do.
Hang in there and get well soon!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
yup yup yup. getting older aint much fun at all Charlie speedy recovery man  :pray:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Hope you have a speedy recovery. Take your time and listen to your doctors. I'm betting there is a critter with your name on it out there. God bless.  :pray:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
OK everybody, this  wasn't intended to draw sympathy... though I have to admit it feels pretty good!
Pete.... I sure apprecitate the bow offer, but I've got it covered.

Killy... that was just Baaaaaa-d.

I'll write a bit more after I add this.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Well, after the surgery, the Doc told me not to do ANYTHING for the first ten weeks after the wrist surgery. I'd follow those rules to the letter but was champing at the bit.

Three days after surgery I took a Conceal and Carry class and shooting a strange pistol I surprised everyone by tearing up the target left handed.

Everyone knows me as "the bow guy" and don't make a connection between me and guns... and I like it that way!
It's a Matthew Quigley thing. "I said I never had much use for the things. I never said I didn't know how to use them".

Not being able to resist the lure of my shop I even built a longbow totally with my left hand. It only took 3 times as long.
It turned out pretty nice and 49#@28".

As soon as I got clearance to start using my right hand again, I came straight home and pulled one of my light bows off the rack.
Early in my first marriage I'd gotten a nice Herters bow for the wife. At 25# I figured it was a start... I wasn't about to hurt myself.

I was surprised by the weight. Normally with a bow of that weight my fingers would tend to come off the string one at a time.
I found that now I could just barely get to full draw with it and it felt like it was ripping off my fingers.
Though I had to snap shoot it at first, accuracy was surprisingly good.

(cont.)

Gonna go take some pics to put with this part.    :readit:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
:clapper:     :pray:    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
This could end up going so many ways....I hate venture a guess, so will bite my tongue and wait like I do on all your stories Charlie...  :campfire:  

Looking forward to the rest, and sorry to hear about your hardships.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
You'll get there man just hang in there.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
After recovering from a few injuries, and surgeries, I have found the doctors advice is usually better than my own. I have also found therapy very helpful during the recovery, and in most cases you come out feeling much better. Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Good to see you can send an arrow down field. Just listen to your body and follow it's lead...slow and steady wins the race! I have had back problems and other concerns over the past several years. After feeling bad you can't believe how great feeling good feels!!!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Charlie I dont know ya but have read alot of your stuff and viewed ya on the trad gang dvd, you seem like a tough but smart guy. listen to your Doc and especially your body.
   I had back surgery last summer and was really worried about it and my bow shooting (60lb bows) by huntin season i was back climbing trees and shootin my regular bow. a year before that i ripped my left bicep tendon in half, and just knew I was done for a long time since I shoot left handed. like a DA i continued to hunt, (and killed a couple deer,) for 2 months with it broken because i didnt want to miss bow season and i figured i couldnt hurt it any worse..I was badly mistaken, my repair surgery was much more comlicated and i have a huge scar. I really took it easy after the surgery and did exactly as the doc said and did all the PT. even duplicated it at home with his ok... but by mid summer i was able to shoot my 60lber ok, i have alot of years behind me and it does take longer to heal, but you will heal. just take it easy and keep the goal of shooting your bow in mind....    good luck to ya!!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Wow Charlie you sound just like me. I have had to miss the last couple of elk seasons because of basicaly the same thing. Only in my case its old age and years of concrete work which destroyed my knees and back. people have a hard time understanding not being able to sleep or even find a comfortable second without pain unless they have suffered that.Butttttttttttttt. Hope and faith Brother. so I build my bows and enjoy othere peoples stories until I can do it again. God Bless you Sir and get well. Steve

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
It's been awhile since I've had the pleasure of savoring a Lamb tale.  I'm enjoying your style Charlie, even if it isn't about hunting. (Yet  ;)  )
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©