3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Yup, you will get there just be good and do as your told!!   :readit:      :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Great to see you back online Charlie! I've missed your stories  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
mr.Lamb,i have a bear tigercat that pulls about 48 pounds.if you need it let my know and i will send it to you.hang in there brother,steve

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Charlie,

Man, I remember talking with you at Cloverdale in the late 80's.  You tell me what bow weight you need and if I have one it's yours.    :readit:  

I've read your posts here for years, you're the real deal.

Anything I can do... Let me know.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Keep us posted...   todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
and now, accepting the award for "Comeback Bowhunter of the Year...."
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I hear ya Joe and Rob, I'm enjoying every minute of this one.  :bigsmyl:    :clapper:  

Tracy  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Digging into my arrow pile I came up with a bunch of 2016 that would work pretty well out of that little Herters. Stiff by anybodies standards the old Hoyt Pro Flex rest took up the slack and let me shoot with some degree of accuracy.

About the same time I opened our swimming pool for the summer. I knew it was what I needed for my back and I could certainly work out my wrist as well.

So the days went slowly by. There didn't seem to be much progress at first, but within a couple of weeks I picked up an old 50's era Hoyt bow. It weighs 35#@28". While I had gotten to the point where I could hold the 25 pounder the addition of another 10 pounds brought me right back to snap shooting and fighting for anchor.

I remembered back to the time some 30 years ago when I'd had to start over. I'd been in a horrendous automobile accident that crushed and dislocated vertebra in my neck. By the grace of God I'd pulled through that, relearning to walk, talk and shoot the bow. My current situation should be a cake walk.

I increased the amount of time I was spending in the pool. Hour after hour flutter kicking and working my wrist in as many ways as possible.
I was reminded of the words of my drill instructor in Marine boot camp. "It'll feel better when it quits hurting, PUKE!!!

Time slipped by as it does and summer bore down like an oven. The humidity and the temperature many days were the same 3 digit numbers. By the first of August I felt I was ready for another bump in weight.
This time I chose a bow that had belonged to a good buddy. His wife had given it to me after he passed and it had set idle for years before I pulled it down off the rack.
Bear Super Kodiak, 46#@28".

I went through the same process as with the other two bows. The weight threatening to pull the string from unwilling fingers.
If I've learned anything about bow shooting over the years it's that you need to forget about accuracy when you are working on form and just worry about going through the motions in the most meticulous way.

About a week ago I picked up my favorite Sunbear "Curly" with the Bacote and Osage riser and the checkered grip. To my delight I could get it to full draw... not for long and maybe not the full 65#, but it was close enough for now.
I was one happy camper.
Here's "Curly" from the Solana hunt a couple of years back.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
That's the way to climb back in the saddle!  We are all rooting for you Charlie!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Steve... thanks so much for the bow offer. That means a lot.

Todd... looking back at those days at Cloverdale makes me smile. Those were sure some good old days.
Thanks for the bow offer and the kind words. Hope we can get together again one day and chew the fat.

Thanks to everyone who offered kind words. You guys are like family to me and I've missed telling huntin stories around this campfire.
The really cool thing is that I see many of you carrying the baton for me with tales of hunting and adventure.
Several in styles that hang right there with anything I write.

I'll get back on this horse tomorrow. There's a bunch yet to come.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Glad this story is turning around.  I think we all know how much it would hurt to lose something like the ability to shoot and hunt.

Hope this one has a really happy ending.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Glad to see your feeling better Charlie, just in time fall is almost on us.  :thumbsup:
hunt it

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:    :coffee:    

I have missed your story time, too.
Hope your strength continues to improve.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Yeah, somewhere along the way a huntin story is gonna break out.   :readit:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
you are so welcome Mr.Lamb.i am glad to here you are getting better.hang in there buddy,steve

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
A positive attitude is everything.

If I could, I would gladly send you some strength.

You already know this, but the more you put into it...  :campfire:

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Hi Charlie,

We've never met but I have the Tradgang DVD and I'm read many of your posts in the past. You seem so nice and down to earth that I feel like I do know you. It is also easy to see that the strength of your physical body is only a reflection of your inner strength.

I'm in my late fifties and I was a fairly big strong guy for most of my life too. I'm starting to pay for the abuse I put my body through with worn out cartillage, torn tendons and ligaments, nerve damage,etc. Through the years I have had 5 misc. joint operations and have recovered each time. I feel great and am looking forward to many more adventures.

You have been through worse and I know that you will come through it all again. I wish you the best on your recovery.

We are all on this journey together and it is comforting to know that there are good people like you out there.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery. Like my Dad used to say; "theres nothing shameful about getting old but it's mighty inconvenient". I too am feeling a lot of aches and pains. Already switched from lefty to righty. Shooting fine.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Know what you mean Charlie. I fell on the ice a couple years ago, and ruined my left elbow. Reconstructive surgery, ect. I'm back to shooting my best bow, but not as accurately as before. Keep working at it! Good luck. John
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Thanks again guys.... now I feel like a whiner!    :D

Something came up and I only have a couple of minutes here then I'm out the door until this afternoon.
Will get back to it then.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©