3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Barge Cement  (Read 341 times)

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
New Barge Cement
« on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I generally don't like "new" or "improved" formulas, hence I'm apprehensive about the Barge Cement I got today.  The tube is now blue and black (instead of green, yellow, and red) and it says "toluene free".  

Anyone know if it performs as it always has?

I've got a tendency to hoard things that work for fear they will get changed.  But this product would be hard for me to do that with--I rarely use the entire tube before the remainder sets up on me.  I've tried storing it in a zip-lock bag, and it helps some, but I can't keep it for long (same thing with fletch-tite, duco, etc.)

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Barge Cement
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Of course I've heard that it's not as good...  I have not tried the new formula myself.  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
I don't know.....I got some but after seein' the different colored tube I haven't used it.  :smileystooges:

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I have used it one bow grips and side plates wo/any issues. tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by CG:
...--I rarely use the entire tube before the remainder sets up on me....
Maybe it's the toluene that causes that.  :D
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Here's why it's "toluene free" now.

"Inhaling high levels of toluene can cause death or unconsciousness. Repeatedly breathing toluene over long periods of time at work, or through deliberately "sniffing" or "huffing" glue or paint, can cause death, permanent brain damage, or depression. If you are pregnant, repeated exposure to toluene may increase the risk of damage to the fetus.

Exposure to high levels of toluene may affect your kidneys, nervous system, liver, brain, and heart. Direct, prolonged contact with liquid toluene or vapor can irritate the eyes, and cause dry skin and skin rashes. Ingesting toluene can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and difficult breathing.

Exposure to low to moderate levels of toluene can cause confusion, light-headedness, dizziness, headache, fatigue, weakness, memory loss, nausea, appetite loss, coughing, wheezing, and hearing and color vision loss.

Inhalation of toluene fumes can be intoxicating, but in larger doses nausea-inducing. Toluene may enter the human system not only through vapor inhalation from the liquid evaporation, but also following soil contamination events, where human contact with soil, ingestion of contaminated groundwater or soil vapou off-gassing can occur.

The toxicity of toluene can be explained mostly by its metabolism. As toluene has very low water solubility, it cannot exit the body via the normal routes (urine, feces, or sweat). It must be metabolized in order to be excreted."
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I just got some, and I was reluctant to use it, too. It works just like the old stuff, except it sets up FAST!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Never tried the New Stuff,maybe Faster is Better,

Kurt

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I have used to new Barge cement for some grips and side plates&rests.It worked fine for me,just like the old Barge.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Vermonster,that toluene is as bad as eggs have been here lately! Really,CG I have had no problem with new stuff yet! I did use some off brand of rubber cement the other day though that sucked!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Its works, if you mess up it comes apart easier, but it does work.  The best thing I have found is to go to a shoe repair place and you can buy real good stuff from them in quanities that you need.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Glad to hear that ya'll are having decent results with it.  Any tricks to keeping it (as well as duco, fletch-tite, and the like) from "setting up" in the tube after a while?

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
I sure hope it is as good.  I will buy a small tube and try it out before I buy the quart I usually get.  For leather to leather I've never, ever found anything that works better, and I will be greatly disappointed if the "new and improved" is really not.

RonP

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
All the contact cement outfits have removed the toluene from the formulas.

Barge still works, it just requres you pay closer atention to when you apply the two peices. Less room for error judging when "tacky" is.

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Can they make the original for us bow nuts that only use it occasionally and are not prone to the "long term" exposure  :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
I tried the new stuff when it first came out, and did not like it at all.  I have switched to DAP contact cement, the thick version.  I get mine at Home Depot.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
Its works, if you mess up it comes apart easier, but it does work.  The best thing I have found is to go to a shoe repair place and you can buy real good stuff from them in quanities that you need.
Tim,

Yes, shoe repair stores sell Shoe Goo or Shoe Goop.  They sell one of the brands and the big box store sells the other.  I like either one better than Barge glue.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
works as go as old!!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I do a lot of leather work and have switched to contact cement. Just one more case of the government trying to protect idiots from themselves, and one more good product lost.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
3M weatherstrip adheasive is great contact cement.....and its at most car part places.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©