3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ideas for Girl Scout archery class  (Read 443 times)

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Ideas for Girl Scout archery class
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm going to teach a a group of girl scouts some basics in archery. To qualify for a "patch" the course has to have at least 6 elements.
I thought I'd cover:
History
Types of bows.
types of strings and string making.
Feathers from the turkey to the arrow.
arrow types and construction.
Plenty of shooting mixed in between.

If anyone has any ideas or links to help with the history or anything please jump in.

If anyone has ever designed a girl scout archery patch, could use some ideas.
Thanks, Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for Girl Scout archery class
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
I did that with the Boy Scouts before. One thing you might want to cover is why you have to shoot feathers when shooting off the shelf and why you can't shoot plastic vanes. Some of the kids might have access to an old recurve at home and go to Wally World to get a few arrows and they always end up with plastic vanes and are soon very disapointed and give up. Also, you might want to explain how to use tabs and why to use one. Kids can never figure out how to get them on. I carried a light recurve, a couple of dozen arrows and a 3D target on alot of campouts. It was always non-stop shooting because someone always wanted to shoot. Alot of the kids had never shot a bow and a few still shoot because of what we did. Now they are getting married and having kids of their own, really makes me feel old. Have fun, the kids are worthy of your best effort.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
macbow I applaud you!! around here the girl scouts have put their emphasis on selling things, my daughter just quit because that's all they did, glad to see other councils have not lost their focus in teaching and learning...Steve
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I have been teaching my nephew and step son....they love to shoot. When they hit the target they go nuts. I took that thought and added balloons....man they go nuts when one pops. Seems to help em pick a spot too...
Cool thing you are doing. Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
it's a bit of a pain to clean up, but you can go to staples or office max, and pick up a "tube" of cheap R/W computer CD's and they make fun targets too.  They sorta "explode" when you hit one, and the kids like that.
got arrows?

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Ron,  Good for you!  I just finished conducting an archery station at a church camp with some boys.  I had a blast working with them and the kids had a blast as well.  Couple of things I learned.  They can't handle much draw weight.  I bought six fiberglass youth bows.  2 were 20-25# and 4 were 25-30#.  Before the day of the camp I was thinking that I would'nt need the lighter bows (these kids were 8-19 yrs old & all boys).  In reality I only had about 6 kids (out of 21) that could handle the 25-30# bows and needed more of the 20-25# bows and had several 10-12 yr olds that could'nt handle them well.  Also, we blew up some small party balloons and taped them on the target, they loved bursting the balloons more than anything else.  I also carried a 3-d deer target and let them all take a few shots at it at the end.  It was also a big hit with the kids.  Good luck!

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Just a suggestion when it comes to shooting, it's a good thing to have arm gaurds and finger tabs or no glove rubber fingers on the strings.  I know if they hit their arms a few times they relate archery to pain and it might turn them away.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
I just finished helping teach an archery class for a project school. It was rewarding beyond description. The best advise I can give is take some balloons for targets on the final day. The kids love things that pop when shot. I highly commend your efforts. I hope more of us a re given the oppertunity to pass on what we know and love.
 http://archerysociety.org/  try this site for some good links and history.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, Taking notes of aLL suggestions. I've been in on teaching shooting to kids and parents groups many times so that part I can handle. Shootrmn, the web site was a big help on some history.
Shooting will be their reward for sitting through the class portion. I think they will enjoy making an arrow and strings etc.
I'm in the process of moving or I'd have them make a simple board bow. Most of my shop equiptment has already traveled to storage.
Ton
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Make it safe and make it fun and it will be a winner.  Whatever you do.
ChuckC

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
Macbow where you moven to?
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
I help teach kids through a (partially) state funded program  at a local shop each winter. It is alot of fun.

Anoited Archer brought up a good point. Finger protection, and arm guards are a must. Boys are boys, and girls are girls. The boys can whack their arm and blow it off, not so with the girls.

I recommend having someone there to help you when
the shooting starts. Just extra eyes if nothing else. All the history and technical data is great but they are gonna want to shoot. Get balloons.

Show them the basics of good form and they will take it from there. If they have trouble with the arrow wandering off the shelf or rest, have them try drawing three fingers under, this seems to help.

I have found that the boys already know it ALL.
But the girls seem to listen to your instructions
and they will get it fast. Good luck.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
Jerry, We are going to the country. Near Truman lake. Still have to sell the house, will be back and forth till then.

Good points Bonebuster, I should have several helpers. I'm going to pick up some tabs etc. this weekend at the Flatrock shoot Here in Mo.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I second the ideas about balloons, tabs and armguards. One other thing you might want to carry is a few scrunchies...that's what they call them here anyway. They're for putting long hair into a ponytail. It's just another safety thing to keep long hair from tangling in the string.
Graham

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I think safety should be one of the six elements that you should cover with special attention on how to pull arrows out of the target carefully not to poke the eye of someone standing behind trying to get a look. Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I think bustin' a bunch of "thin mints" would be more fun than shotin' at bullseyes if you ask me.....

As for shooting vanes off the shelf.....I've never had a problem.Most of the arrows sold in the dept. stores now are fletched to be shot cock vane down,through some type of forked rest on a compound.

Set your nock points about 3/4" above level and nock the arrow cock vane up. at resonable ranges,you will not have any problems.

Thanks for helping to "pass the torch"!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©