3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strings--Need Opinions (lots of them)  (Read 589 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Strings--Need Opinions (lots of them)
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
After much consideration, we've decided on doing a Volume II of "Doin' the Twist".  We have a lot of ideas, but would like to hear from folks--whether you have seen it or not.

What would you like to see?  Better shots of existing information, other info. that wasn't covered, or???  

I don't see any reason this one can't be 2 hours of info. like the first, but it's not going to be a remake of I.  A few surprises I already know of, along with better equipment and more experienced folks doing the filming.  

Feel free to call or e-mail--all opinions are wanted.

Chad

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strings--Need Opinions (lots of them)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Chad, just be sure to film it in August in Mississippi! The mopping scenes are priceless. d;^)
  Looking forward to "...Twist II".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
The first Vid taught me to make strings, and I have been quite happy with the results.
  A bit on making padded loops in the next one might be helpfull to some folks.
  A lot of frustration comes from not getting the right amount of back twists, more help here might be good.
 Another place of help to the new string builder could be a bit on serving sizes for diferent strand counts , and  arrow nock types, carbon/ wood .
 And giudelines on making loop sizes.

Do you think you can suffer more from the heat when you do the next one?
 LOL

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks Pete--that's what we're looking for!

One thing is for sure--we ain't going to film this one in 100+ degree temps!  I dang near died...my plans were to use the air-conditioned conferance room, but I was out-voted.  I was also out-voted when it came to who was going to tote all the equipment, chairs, that ridiculously heavy table, etc. down the hill for filming, and back up at the end of the day.....I may have a gun with me next time, just to be sure my vote counts...

Offline Johnny UMAA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Yep...I would be interested in the "padded" loop info as that seems to be the part that stumps me about getting started.
Orig. Schafer SilverTip TD Recurve 62" 55#& 60#@29"
Schafer SilverTip TD Longbow FF 64" 50#@29"
Morrison Dakota 64" 43#@28"
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 50#@28"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Yep...I would be interested in the "padded" loop info as that seems to be the part that stumps me about getting started.  
We show how to pad the loops in I, but don't go into a lot of detail.  I guess we should spend more time on it?  It's really simple.

Johnny, if you are around NE MS, give me a holler.  You can come by my shop and I'll show you in person.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Not only padded loops for flemish strings, but also endless loop. When I am done with my endless padded loop string they wind up looking like wooly bugger flys!

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
My biggest problem is getting the string the right length on the first try.

Doin' the Twist is where I learned how to build my strings.

I agree with Pete W. plus I would like to know the difference in serving materials as well. and maybe a little piece on tyed on knocks instead of brass ones.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Pretty much what Pete W said.
I also think a bit mire detail about where to start the loops so the string is the correct length would be good-that for me took some trial and error until I got it figured out.
SL

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
This is exactly what we need to hear.  Keep it coming!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Chad,

My wife gets frustrated at string length.  She recently made two strings that were supposed to be the same length.  One came out to 55" and the other came out to 56".  How does that happen?  It seems you would have to twist quite a bit more on one or make some mistake.  On top of that you have to make an educated guess on how much it will stretch.  And all materials stretch.  How do you estimate stretch  (ok, I know it is really creep not stretch) on a string?
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
My wife gets frustrated at string length. She recently made two strings that were supposed to be the same length. One came out to 55" and the other came out to 56". How does that happen? It seems you would have to twist quite a bit more on one or make some mistake. On top of that you have to make an educated guess on how much it will stretch. And all materials stretch. How do you estimate stretch (ok, I know it is really creep not stretch) on a string?
Good questions!  I'll give it a try.....

There are lots of variables with making strings--especially flemish.  First, the variables in the material itself--the stretch/creep can vary some from one color to the next, even one spool to the next.  It can vary a LOT from one type of material to the next.

We can vary too, without noticing.  For instance, say you are calm, relaxed, maybe even sleepy, and make a string.  Later, you make another, suppossedly identical, but you are agitated, excited, in a hurry, nervous, etc.  Usually when we are excited or otherwise "wound up", we have a tendency to twist the bundles tighter.  It doesn't seem like much, but it can make a big difference.  Add that to little variances in material, measurements that aren't dead-on....it adds up quick.  

I measure everything.  I measure to get my starting point for the first loop, then when it's done I measure to find where to start the second.  Eliminate as many variables as possible.  Even doing that, you may have to re-make a string once in a while, but not nearly as often.

All materials do stretch--I agree 100%.  Even 450+, which BCY advertises (or at least used to--I haven't checked lately) as having the least stretch/creep of any material on the market, stretches.  Even in an endless string.  Add to that the fact that they don't always stretch the same amount, and it gets complicated.  That, to me, is one of the big advantages of flemish strings--more adjustable (both ways).  Along with different stretch/creep rates between materials, you have to take into account different strand counts and different draw weights.  It can make you scratch your head quite a bit!

The only way I know to learn how to estimate it is with practice, and taking notes along the way.  That's one reason I don't even try to carry every string material on the market.  I narrowed it down to the ones that customers call for the most, and work the best;  then I learn as much as I can about them.  I don't know of any shortcuts here--sorry.  Thanks for some excellent questions--I'm taking notes!

Chad

Offline AKM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
'Doin The Twist' taught me to make strings. Another tip that I got from it was when installing cat whiskers, just using one piece of rubber folded over instead of two pieces.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
If possible, pay special attention to showing how to make the loops correctly so they don't twist the limbs.  Thanks.  ;)

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
how bout after its made show it on the bow and how to make it more quiet and brace height,kinda setting the bow up for the string...alot of new people would love this info
i like biscuits

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
 If possible, pay special attention to showing how to make the loops correctly so they don't twist the limbs. Thanks.  
ROTF......we do plan to dismiss some fables and old wives tales in it.

Tuning hints will definately be a part of it--thanks!

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Learned a lot from the first one and look forward to another.  Need to watch it again soon.  If it was not covered in the first one, I would like to understand the difference in all the new string material.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
What LNLarry said.  for me length is a moving target.  Also, some shots of bad strings - what NOT TO DO - like what over twisting really looks like.  The other vid. was great by the way!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanks again!  We should be able to give a basic run-down on the different materials.  I like the idea of the "bad" strings.  Maybe show one with something wrong and tell what most likely caused the problem, and how to correct it.

Thanks for the good word!

Chad

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Heck, I've gotta get Volume #1 first !! But Im really looking forward to the strings I've got coming ... Thanks Much, Real Nice Talkin with ya Chad ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©