3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather on horn-a-long.  (Read 226 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather on horn-a-long.
« on: September 04, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I've had this small set of horns in my freezer for a few years and finally decided to do something with it. The horn-a-long idea didn't come about till the generous Tradganger, Stiks-and-strings, that sent me the leather suggested I do one, so the initial mounting of the horns was not photographed. This is my first attempt at doing this so you'll have to excuse the amuteurishness of it.

The first stage was cutting the head down to a manageable skull size, skinning the fur off and boiling the skull to get the rest of the parts off. Then I mounted the skull plate on a piece of plywood that I figured would be the appropriate size with a mounting hole predone in the back.

I then filled any voids between the plywood and skull plate with cardboard and hot glue, trying to leave about a 1/4" gap between the skull and edge pf plywood to make room for a 1/4' layer of plaster of paris to make a relatively smooth and roundish object that the leather would cover nice.

Here's what that looks like.

Then I took a measurement of the distance between the horns, and transferred that to the leather and generally guessed on the cuts I had to make.

Then I stretched and stapled the leather all around the base as best as I could. The cuts in the back helped me get that looking halfway descent but I had to have a fold on each side in the front to get it to fit good. I debated about making two more cuts in the front to help with the wrapping but decided against it.

Then I got out the hot glue gun to get the back seams layed flat.

Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather on horn-a-long.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Here is what it looks like finished.

On the wall.

Critiques or ideas? I can take it.  :help:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Looks good!  If you used some thinner upholstery leather a lot of your problems would go away.  It is much more "stretchable" and is easier to work with.  If you PM me your address I can send you a scrap chunk out to play with.

RonP

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Looks good, I was wondering how the leather was gon work out for you. thinner stuff would stretch better but that was thinnest I had. I use all my leather for quiver making and armguards and the such.

Turned out great though. Thanks for sharing.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Buckskin leather has a lot more stretch and is easy to work.It will form around your skull cap without any pleats or wrinkles.

When you go to thinner,stretchier leather,however,you will have to smooth out your plaster or a lot of bumps will show.

You can finish off around,underneath the burrs with a 3/8"-1/2" strip of your leather or get some decorative braided rope.You can also cut thin strips of your leather,braid that and put it around the burrs.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Jim, thanks for the ideas.

- Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©