3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What bow do you think will be the next big thing?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What bow do you think will be the next big thing?
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I could see Bigfoot bows turning into a pace-setter, if they are as good as people say, and if Kirk is as knowledgeable as he appears in his posts.  I've never shot nor seen one, but something about Kirk's online conversations tell me that he knows what he's doing, and isn't afraid to push the envelope and be revolutionary.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
The "new" '59 Kodiak from Bear may be a big deal, if the quality control is solid.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »
My prediction about Cari-bow tow years ago turned out to be true.... Abe went from 4 months to 16 months...    :scared:    

Now I see three other candidates: Whippenstick, Bigfoot and Eaglewing. All bowyers proved being able to make magnificent bows.I think when I am done writing my review on the Phoenix, Ken will go up...    :p
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I'm still curious? What bow will be the next big Thing??? Recurve,Longbow,Flatbow, ILF,????
There are a lot of Bowyers making great looking, good shooting bows today. I'm seeing very little that is new, there is some. But most is the same old in a new package by whoever. I would like to see what everyone thinks or would like to see in the next big thing in bows?????

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm not a "next big thing" sort of guy.  That's the reason I still shoot longbows after 50 years.  I realize some of you guys eat this high tech trad archery thing with a big spoon.  More power to you.  I have no complaint about that.  Glad there are so many fine bow makers pushing the envelope for those who dig that.     :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
the ones to watch are the ones that weather the STORM and continue to be successful year after year with both high quality offerings and a fair price for their craftsmanship.....

They only bowyer that is fairly new that has caught my eye is Stalker by South Cox.  I would rather he not be the next big thing that I believe has been perpetuated by the internet...but rather grow slowly and steadily increasing his abilities and his following with hard work, eye for detail, and solid performance.

Too many BIG THINGS get overwhelmed and take on more than they can handle and become another closed business due to the stress and pressure...or from taking on too much and then losing orders from poor customer service and then getting flamed on public forums.  The NEXT BIG THING is the curse of death I think as a label for many young bowyers (time professional not age) who are doing this for a love of the sport and desire to build something worthwhile when the business side overwhelms their spirit.

Just stay focused and doing what you love to the best of your ability...and dont take on more orders than you can fill in reasonable amount of time....is that 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months.  For me it is about 3 months maybe 6 months...but no more if I am buying a new bow.  Stay true and stay strong in your convictions....and be here for the next generation of traditionalists that will be looking for something to trust and love from your creations.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Personally, I think the Old Standby "Howard Hill Bows" will return to Their Righteous Space at the Top of the List!  :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
The next good think,could be the Black douglas recurve with is HEX- 6 limbs   :eek:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
when is it going to happen?? LOL
Bob brought up an interesting thought. Not who but what. I predict that it will be something that a small bowyer developes and some larger bowyer runs with / I have seen that happen several times.

For instance 10 years ago you could count the number of bowyers building static recurves on one hand. Today almost every bowyer is building them in one form or another.
One thing I do see is a constant upgrading on those things already in existance and that is a good thing.

I believe the bow building community has come alive after sitting on its laurals with practicaly 50 years of no advancement/ The garage and small shop builder has caused that along with a large sharing of technical knowledge via the net.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Y'all need to get your hands on a self bow and see that going back might be what's ahead.

I will continually say that we have some great great bowyers to choose from. I have been happily impressed by many of them. But I have been even more impressed whenever I get my hands on a killer self bow, and when a simple stick kicks b@@ty, watch out !!!
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I think LongStick64 makes a good point - going back might be what's ahead.

Look at the popularity that Hill style longbow makers have gained - especially with the "HH bug" thread going since January 2011.  Ron LaClair also now offers his Shrew Hill when a few years ago his Shrew offered a great inovation in what a longbow could be. And Bear Archery is going back to what established them decades ago.

So I kind of see two styles dominating as traditional archery moves forward - the classic time tested old school design and the high tech ultra engineered design that pushes the envelope on new materials.  There's room for both and both will have their followings.

Of course the primitive side continues to grow and more and more hobby bowyers are trying their hand at this craft with all the information available now on the internet.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
wow - someone saw Hill Country two yeara ago....good call!

I finally got to try a couple Eagle Wings and i now understand why they are NEVER in the classifieds.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
7 pages of posts and I can't believe someone hasn't dug out a pic of the "Ramblin Rambo Redneck Crossgun" poster that Too Short used to offer in the Screamin Eagle catalog! It even featured a supermodel, was it Barry or Gene?  In it's day it was hilarious.  Sadly, in my state it's now a reality!  Maybe I'm just old.  Please, for old times sake, somebody make my day!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Mike, Thanks Bro. Once in a while one gets in there. Sometimes I buy them LOL. I get to thinking how much time I have in that bow and buy it LOL. Only way I could get one myself.  Several bowyers really stand out to me as putting out a very high quality , high performance bow. they are obviously involved in this far beyond making money and I truly appreciate that and wish them all the best. I won't name them as they have already been named. They deserve the recognition and business that some seem to get without deserving it./ Regionality may be a big part of that. I do believe though that these bowyers and their bows will be like cream and eventually rise to the top.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
This thread is not complete without mentioning Bill Dunn and Zippers.  Can't wait for my 60" Zipstick.    :help:    He never stops innovating and tinkering (ILF, now 1 piece Zipstick, and new Nitro long bow).  What's not to like about bows with great grips, fast, quiet, good lookin, with a matte finish that is really great for hunting and holding, sweet matching quivers, and cant forget top notch customer service?    :thumbsup:

Yes there are many, many great bows and yes, a lot is personal, but that's my thoughts.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
What new bow I'd like to see?  I'd like to see a 48" recurve that shoots 220 fps (10 gpp), is as quiet as a Hill longbow, as shock free as a metal risered recurve, and is as forgiving as a 70" string follow longbow.  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Sandy Biles is developing a following here in eastern oklahoma. His recurves are exceptionally quiet and completely dead in hand, and they have terrific performance. His long bows are the same. Don't know if he will ever become "big" because he isn't trying to... But if the secret ever gets out-look out.....
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
I don't know the next big thing, I do know it's tough to beat an excellent reputation and a time proven bow.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
IMO: Kirk at Bigfoot bows is starting to experiment with his recurve design, I predict that a year from now, those will be one of the most sought after on the market.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©